SS1 a no go in my 'burb?

zactayaus

Ok. I got the SS1 in "Roxy " a couple of weeks ago. I really like the seat but it is so heavy and wide so I decided to order a SR in "Lotus" and recieved it this week. I have been playing with the two for days now. I love how easy the handle is to adjust on the SS1 and how deep the sides of the seat are compared to the SR. I like the straps and buckles better on the SS1 as well, but I like the weight and narrowness of the SR better and I love the pattern "lotus":rolleyes: of the SR. I have really been having the toughest time deciding between them.:(

Today the temp outside actually hit 50 degrees so I decide to play with them in my 2000 Suburban (huge 2nd row). DS is in a GN and DD is in a TB. I need DD to go outboard on the passanger side for easier access to the 3rd row and she is in the booster. I would like the baby to go in the middle because the kids are already fighting over who is going to sit next to the baby.:p Both bases installed rock solid in the middle (lap belt only).:thumbsup: I tried to put the seats in their respective bases I had no problems with the SR it snapped right in. The SS1 is a couple inches wider so in order for me to snap it in I have to kind of push the front of the GN over a little because the arm with the cup holder is in the way of the handle of the SS1 (if that makes sense).:thumbsdown: I had the same problem with the SS1 when I switched the GN to the middle and put the SS1 outboard driver side.:mad:

I'm not sure I want to mess with pushing DS's seat slightly to the side every time I have to snap the SS1 into it's base and I'm not even sure if it's ok to do this.:confused: There is no movement at the belt path of the GN just the front of the seat. I still want to try both seats in DH's truck with the TB and Frontier, but it looks like I'm going to have to sell the SS1 since it will cost me too much to return it to albeebaby.

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks and thanks for taking the time to read this if you made it this far.

ADS

MOM25BOYS

Aww, I hate to hear that the SS1 isn't puzzling that great.:( I had to off set my EFTA a little to get the SS1 to fit outboard in my 2nd row because of the circle on the handles catching and the seat not locking all the way down. DS1 is in his TB on the other outboard side and kiddo was getting to heavy to put in the middle.:p I also had a SR to use and ended up going back to it for a little bit for the same reasons. It was lighter and took up less space when I had the MA outboard. I just went back to the SS1 since DS5 has gotten bigger. I hope maybe the SS1 might fit in your DH's truck. Its really a great seat for when they get around the 5 and 6mth size.;)

FrogJuice

I honestly would go with the snug ride, I think in the long run you would be happier with the light weight, smallness, and easier to get it into the base.

Kat_Momof3

can you try her other boosters out next to the ss1?? maybe that would give you the extra room... because you could kind of position it more toward the passenger side.

zactayaus

can you try her other boosters out next to the ss1?? maybe that would give you the extra room... because you could kind of position it more toward the passenger side.

It's not DD's booster that is the problem it is DS's GN and I can't slide the SS1over toward the booster because then I can't flip down the seat for access to the 3rd row. But thanks for the suggestion. I still haven't tried it out in DH's truck yet. I'm thinking it may puzzle better with the Frontier but it's been in the 30's with winds at 20 - 30 mph so a bit too chilly to play car seats for me.:p

sb518

I prefer the snugride over the SS1. I've never owned an SS1 but I just can't get over how huge they are. I would rather use a convertible if I was going to have a gigantic seat. Plus I like how the snugride chest clip fits better on the newborns.

Kat_Momof3

It's not DD's booster that is the problem it is DS's GN and I can't slide the SS1over toward the booster because then I can't flip down the seat for access to the 3rd row. But thanks for the suggestion. I still haven't tried it out in DH's truck yet. I'm thinking it may puzzle better with the Frontier but it's been in the 30's with winds at 20 - 30 mph so a bit too chilly to play car seats for me.:p

yeah, I knew it was the nautilus... thought if you put in a narrower booster to be able to install the ss1 more toward the booster without losing the ability for her to buckle herself, that would help.

Of course, my worry seems to be the case... it then loses your ability to flip your seat.

GAH!!

don't you also have a Safeguard Childseat? Whatever options you have... ONCE THE WEATHER WARMS..... you should definitely play around.

Why would I keep pushing until I find a combo that works?? Those winter temps you mention just make me want to have you able to use a carrier as long as you can.
:twocents:

zactayaus

No, I don't have a safeguard:(, but I wish I did:). I have a Frontier and a Cargo. DS is almost at the limits of the cargo for weight so it's really just a back up for emergencies at this point. I really wanted to go play in DH's truck today but the wind chill was 18 and I'm so not a cold weather person. I'm going to hang onto both seats for a while and hopefully we'll get some warmer temps soon so I can go play. I may even try the frontier in my truck, but then DH will have to use the GN and he has a heck of a time unbuckling DS in the GN. He just can't get the push down instead of push in motion on the crotch strap.:rolleyes:

zactayaus

Ok. Temps got up into the 60's today and DH was off so I was able to play car seats today. I had no problems installing either the SR or the SS1 in DH's '06 Silverado. Both seats had plenty of room to snap into their bases and the SS1 and Frontier puzzled great. So then I went to try the SS1 in my Suburban again. I ended up re-installing the GN more toward the door so the SS1 would have more room and would hopefully not have issues with the armrest on the GN. I got a rock solid install with the GN in it's new slightly offset possition and a rock solid install on the SS1 base in the center seat. I crossed my fingers held my breath and snapped the seat in. It wasn't quite as easy as the SR but was not bad. The handle on the SS1 still hits the armrest on the GN but I no longer have to push the front of the GN over to get the SS1 to snap into it's base.:thumbsup:

Now I just have to decide which one to keep. DH said don't beat yourself up over deciding which one to keep. He says just keep them both.:rolleyes: I would love to keep them both but I know we could use the money toward other baby items. Ugh. Which one should I keep? What to do, what to do?

skaterbabs

Glad to see you found a way to make it work. :) I was about to suggest moving the driver's side seat closer to the door.

On the which one to keep thing, I prefer the longevity of the SS1, but either would work for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC