Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Closed Thread

tightening harness straps on the Graco Nautilus car restraint/booster seat

We just bought the Nautilus child restraint/booster seat for our almost four year old daughter. We've found that it is great to use, but have one problem - we can't seem to use tighten the harness straps by pulling the adjustment strap on the front of the seat. I try with all might to pull it, but it doesn't move at all. Is there a special sequence that I'm supposed to follow or something that I'm just missing?

Thank you for your help!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: tightening harness straps on the Graco Nautilus car restraint/booster seat

I don't like our harness adjuster either! Very hard to tighten. I never feel like I'm pulling at the correct angle or something. Any help out there? I've read other posts that say it is smooth as butter, but not mine.

Maria, mommy to DS 5/10/06 49lbs, 49" FF in britax parkway/recaro signo/GN DD 5/14/08 38lbs 40" FF in Meghan BLVD/RN XTSL flora/recaro signo
    and now welcoming DD2 12/10/12 RF in a keyfit

Hmm. There is not a special sequence for adjusting, it should adjust from the get go. Is the seat uninstalled or installed in your vehicle?

I would uninstall the seat and make sure it's not getting stuck on anything. If it's jammed, see if you can flick the adjuster lever and wiggle the jam out. If not, I call Graco and/or return the seat for a different one.
    DD1--4/6/2006--Britax Parkway SGL
    DD2--12/9/2012--Britax Advocate and Marathon

Carseat Crazy

Here is the first thing that comes to mind. When threading the harness straps you have to guide them back up towards the top of the seat and then over the roller bars. You can't put them through the seat and right down to the splitter plate.
    Hope that helps.
    Mom to Will 12/18/03 - 58" 105 lbs - recently 5-stepped!

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

I agree that it sounds like the straps are either caught on something or not routed properly.

The Nautilus has one of the smoothest adjustments you'll find on any car seat.

If the straps/splitter plate are not caught, and everything is routed correctly, you might have a defective seat.

Thank you everyone! Our car seat is installed in the car already - we'll look into the ideas you suggested.

I agree as well... something is wrong.... cause the adjuster on the Nautilus is incredibly smooth.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kat_Momof3 View Post
    I agree as well... something is wrong.... cause the adjuster on the Nautilus is incredibly smooth.
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

Quote Originally Posted by Kat_Momof3 View Post
    ya, that..... again

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

Hope you get it figured out. The Nautilus adjuster really is the smoothest of any I've ever come across. Love that seat!

Kimberly

Carseat Crazy

I figured out mine...the straps were coming out too high on the seat and the head rest was down over them, so they were being rubbed by the head rest every time. Seems we couldn't decide which height was correct and the straps got raised and the head rest got lowered.
    All better know, and the adjuster is smooth as butter

Maria, mommy to DS 5/10/06 49lbs, 49" FF in britax parkway/recaro signo/GN DD 5/14/08 38lbs 40" FF in Meghan BLVD/RN XTSL flora/recaro signo
    and now welcoming DD2 12/10/12 RF in a keyfit

I'm glad you figured it out!! I wondered if that might be it.
    Not to worry, you are not the first to have done that.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Unregistered

I've also had a terrible time with ours. I called Graco today, and their customer service was amazing. They are sending me a new one on Monday to replace this one. I hope the new one is better. Obviously, I cannot attest to how the new one will work, but I wanted to encourage those of you who think you have defective seats to call Graco. I was very impressed with their desire to make it right.

Unregistered

I just bought three and we are all having trouble tightening the straps by pulling the front strap. Graco - give us some help here.