2 year old torso growth

NannyMom

I'd heard somewhere an estimate for a child's torso growth is 1 inch per year. But I'm thinking that's for older children? What about a 2 year old? Sofi has 3 inches of growing room (4 inches above her head) in her Scenera. I was kind of hoping that would last her at least a year and a half (until 4).

ADS

Pixels

If the child is more legs than torso, it's about 3 inches of overall growth equals one inch of torso growth. More torso than legs, it's about 2 inches.

If you want, I can look up the info for you. How tall is she, exactly how old (when the height was measured), and is she more torso or legs?

NannyMom

I just now took a bunch of measurements. She is 2 years 4 months, 2 days old :)

Torso sitting with legs crossed 14 inches
Torso, up to top of head, legs crossed 20 1/4 inches
Standing, foot to top of leg 14 1/4 inches
Standing, foot to waist 17 1/4 inches
Total height standing 34 3/4 inches (she must have grown because 2 months ago she was under 34 inches)
Standing, foot to shoulder 28 1/8 inches

All the shoulder measurements I tried to mark close to her neck so it would be the tallest point of the shoulder.

Pixels

Well, if she stays on curve, and by my calculations, she'll still fit at age 4 :thumbsup:

My calculator says she will outgrow it RFing by height on 1/1/2011 at 4.25 years, and reach the 35 pound weight limit on 5/18/2011 at 4y7m.

Disclaimer: Kids grow at different rates. I'm using an anthropometric calculator and assuming that the child stays on the exact same growth curve. I cannot predict the future.

scatterbunny

Wow, an anthropometric calculator, fancy stuff. :cool: :p Where'd you find that?

My dd's torso was about 14.5 inches at 2.5yo and 38 inches tall (and I thought she had a long torso; your dd really must have a long torso, 34 inches with a 14 inch torso). She's 7.5 now, with a 19.5 inch torso, so for her, the "one inch per year" average estimate has been pretty accurate.

LuvMyCharlie

Holy crap! DS already has a 14" torso at 18 months old. So you're saying that at this time next year he could already be at 16". SHOCKED! I guess a Regent really IS in our future.

NannyMom

Wow, I didn't even realize she has a long torso, lol. I guess because my friend's DD has a longer torso than Sofi. She outgrew the Scenera FF by height at 18 months. I figured Sofi had an average torso.

I know she's been 10th percentile for weight, and according to that curve, she would get to 35 pounds after she turns 5. We checked at the doctor's office :) She's also been 10th percentile for height.

I'll have to measure her in her MA today, see how much room she has left. Ugh...or measure in 2 weeks :rolleyes: The MA is in the Van at the body shop and they said about 2 weks to fix. LOL, can anyone guess from my siggy pic how much room she has in the MA? That pic was taken last week.

scatterbunny

You guys make me so thankful that my dd (although she was 95th+ percentile for height overall) fit in seats like the Scenera until right at 2.5yo, 38 inches tall and 35 pounds. Everyone here was shocked when she needed the second-to-top slots on the Husky/Regent shortly after her 3rd birthday, so I thought she was pretty long-torsoed.

LuvMyCharlie

I WISH he had a shorter torso. I so badly wanted a Frontier for him, but I'm not ready to see him in a booster a 3 or 4 years old. JUST.NOT.HAPPENING....ever. How I wish I could keep him harnessed till he learns to drive!

fyrfightermomma

Well, if she stays on curve, and by my calculations, she'll still fit at age 4 :thumbsup:

My calculator says she will outgrow it RFing by height on 1/1/2011 at 4.25 years, and reach the 35 pound weight limit on 5/18/2011 at 4y7m.

Disclaimer: Kids grow at different rates. I'm using an anthropometric calculator and assuming that the child stays on the exact same growth curve. I cannot predict the future.

How cool! When will my kiddo hit 35 lbs?? I'm anxiously awaiting! lol. I'm gonna go with age 7 :p

Pixels

Wow, an anthropometric calculator, fancy stuff. :cool: :p Where'd you find that?
It's from WHO, the World Health Organization. It uses data from kids worldwide, not just the US, so my numbers will be slightly different from what the charts at the doc's office say. Those charts are CDC charts, using data from Americans only.

Holy crap! DS already has a 14" torso at 18 months old. So you're saying that at this time next year he could already be at 16". SHOCKED! I guess a Regent really IS in our future.
Charlie is currently 75.1st percentile for weight, 94.5th for length, and 41.5th weight-for-length.

If 2 inches of torso growth is 4 inches overall, he'll be at 16" torso on 12/8/09. He'll reach 35 pounds on 10/11/10.

Wow, I didn't even realize she has a long torso, lol. I guess because my friend's DD has a longer torso than Sofi. She outgrew the Scenera FF by height at 18 months. I figured Sofi had an average torso.

I know she's been 10th percentile for weight, and according to that curve, she would get to 35 pounds after she turns 5. We checked at the doctor's office :) She's also been 10th percentile for height.
Actually, right now she is 25th percentile for weight, 39.6th percentile for height. 19.8th percentile weight-for-length.

How cool! When will my kiddo hit 35 lbs?? I'm anxiously awaiting! lol. I'm gonna go with age 7 :p
Evelyn (assuming she is exactly 3.5) is currently 2.2 percentile for weight, 49.8th percentile for height, and 0.1 percentile for weight-for-height. So she is perfectly average height, but has some weight issues (but you already knew that :eek:). She will hit 35 pounds on ... well, my calculator only goes up to age 5. On her fifth birthday, she will be 30 pounds 3 ounces, 43 inches.

Sophia is currently 98.4th percentile for weight, 97.2nd for length, 94.2nd weight-for-length. She's a big one! She will hit 35 pounds on 7/11/09.

What numbers do you need for your calculator? I'm interested to know a few things too. :)
Give me DOB, weight, and height, and a future "goal."

LuvMyCharlie

Give me DOB, weight, and height, and a future "goal."

Okay, here's one for you. DOB 6.27.07, 34" tall. When will he reach 4'9"? LOL

ETA: I guess I should ask how tall he might be on his fifth birthday. :)

NannyMom

When I was putting Sofi in her Scenrera tonight, I thought of something. Isn't the top slot of the Scenera 14 inches? Or am I confusing it with another seat? Sofi is just over the 2nd to top slots.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
When I was putting Sofi in her Scenrera tonight, I thought of something. Isn't the top slot of the Scenera 14 inches? Or am I confusing it with another seat? Sofi is just over the 2nd to top slots.

The top slot of the Scenera is 14.5."

(Carseat Data website closed - link broken)

NannyMom

I'll have to remeasure her torso with her legs not crossed, and see how that compares to her fit in the Scenera :confused:

Kat_Momof3

GASP!! you mean you aren't just using your 8-ball??

lol.

can you tell me how tall Ruthie will be at age 6?? And 7?? I'm trying to figure out when she'll outgrow the Nautilus.... she's using the top slots and she's mostly torso... and is there a way you could just get torso length?? Cause I'll hold her down and measure that if you can.

3-15-04 is b/day 43" total height (could be 43.5, but she was all wiggly), 46-48lbs, depending on what she's wearing and how much she's eaten.... ('cause she has days where she packs it away and others when she barely eats)

And could you tell me at what age Jeffrey will hit 4'9" tall.... because he asked me today if I could tell him how old he'll be when he's tall enough to not use a booster.

7-19-01 is b/day, he's 4'2.5" tall, and he's 70lbs (more torso than leg)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC