Question Airline damaged checked car seat & bag (cracked base, tears) -- need to replace seat ASAP?

• Thread starter Unregist. - Air Traveler
  • Start date
U

Unregist. - Air Traveler

Pals are concerned about a crack (3.5 inches?) in the plastic base of a Radian (80 lb) seat (near the red lever) which was checked baggage for yesterday afternoon's air travel. Radian seat was fine when put inside the specialized car seat bag, at curbside check-in, in daylight. Upon pick up at destination, Pals noticed the seat bag itself had new tears and a 4-inch crack in the bag's cover and a break in the internal plastic support, so they went to the baggage desk to inquire. Baggage staff glanced at it and said they don't guarantee anything with car seats.
1. Is it safe (or ridiculously risky?) to use this Radian? If it needs replaced, what are their options -- any replacement policy/at-cost program, etc.? They've had this seat less than a year, bought online. There's not a lot of $ to spend. Radian was a "safety splurge" intended to last for years. Skinny child turns 2 soon, about 23 lbs. and under 32" now. Pals travel again next month (likely on same airline), and need a seat for that trip and local car travel.
Airlines typically make amends for ripping and crunching regular luggage, and the way this was damaged suggests it was crushed, dropped and/or slammed -- the bag damage and the seat base crack hint at that. Pals say this same airline gave them a voucher once for a similar car seat bag's nylon rips -- with no internal damage. And this bag has traveled before with no problems.
2. So, has anyone successfully gotten a car seat/seat bag problem resolved with a US airline, esp. with quick reporting? And how about helping with car seat damage itself? Do airlines/airports have "extra" seats for passengers who'd otherwise be stranded, unable to travel with their child/ren with a newly damaged seat? It's scary to think major seat damage could happen anytime and seriously affect any of us....
BTW: Yes, they have photos! They took a few shots of the seat, just in case. They also have the seat bag and the clear plastic outer cover they had used over it, supplied the by airline. The Radian cost more than their airfare for two.
Any advice? THANKS!
-- Air-travelers' Pal

ADS

Evolily

I would contact sunshine kids directly about the safety, or possible repair. It's too bad they checked it and didn't either use it on the plane or bring a low cost seat with them :( . I hope the seat works out. Does the child rearface? They will probably need a seat in the interim- sears has the cosco scenera available for $35, kmart has the safety 1st avenue for $70.

natysr

I would continue to be a squeeky wheel. I was under the impression that the airline is liable up to a certain dollar amount ($100? $150?) for each "bag" that is checked. I would think that would also cover the carseat. So, while it may not cover the full replacement cost, they should get some compensation.

Sorry, I don't have any direct experience with dealing with any airline for a damaged carseat, because I don't check my carseats. I always use them on the plane.

emandbri

I think the airline will cover the cost. Years, and years ago I had a seat crack when I checked it. It was a gerry and evenflo bought them out and evenflo sent me a new seat. The seat was prone to cracking though. :rolleyes:

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
I'm not sure how far you would get w/ the airline regarding compensation for the damaged seat. I've always understood that most airlines consider car seats and strollers "speciality" equipment and neither are covered under the general baggage damage rules.

Part of the reason that I'm nervous about checking pricey car seats. The stroller we take w/ us on flights was only $50 (and is now 5+yo) so I wouldn't be overly upset if it was damaged and it isn't an "urgent" necessity at my destination, a $200+ car seat is a totally different story though!

keri1292

The airline will replace it, I believe up to a certain amount. I would not be comfortable using it since I had no idea how that crack happened.

Next time, see if you can convince them to buy the child a seat and use the car seat on the plane. If the tickets are already purchased, gate check the car seat or better yet, bring it aboard (hoping that the flight isn't full and you get to use it) and stow it if necessary.

Pixels

They will not cover carseats or strollers unless they are in the original manufacturer's packaging and checked as part of the baggage allowance. It's in the fine print. Unfortunately.

No, I would not use the seat.

For pretty much that very reason, we kept the box from our Radian. If we ever want to take it and check it as baggage, it will go in its original box so that it will be covered.

U

Unregist. - Air Traveler

THANKS for your suggestions and encouragement. They'll contact Sunshine Kids and the airline. Given the baggage crew's firm "no responsibility" statement, they doubt they'll be compensated at all without a huge fight, and are still checking airline (Web site) for any info in writing about this... tick tock.
Meanwhile, they found a Radian 65 on sale ($190?) this week and are considering it, since they'll have to start using a seat on the plane while flying with kid turning 2.
They've also heard about the inexpensive Scenera ($40-90), Uptown ($100-130) and that SafeGuard Go-hybrid thingy -- and could get any of these shipped in a few days/weeks. BRU, Buy Buy Baby & Target are close enough but don't have sales now.
Comments? Is the Scenera huge or hard to move car-to-car? The Uptown "seems" okay -- anyone used/installed it in a small, 4-door sedan? I'll look up the Avenue.
The mom RFs the tyke with an EFTA, and the Dad started FF in the Radian 80 and isn't convinced that RF really is safer for a toddler. Ugh. What to say?
Thanks again for any extra advice! You all rock!

Evolily

the Scenera is a very lightweight seat. Safeguard go is a forward facing only seat and requires a top tether- I wouldn't get it because they could always end up with a taxi or whatever that doesn't have a tether. The safety 1st avenue is almost exactly the same as the safety 1st uptown- if you can't find an uptown on sale I would go with an avenue.

bombedier

Senior Community Member
Exactly why I recommend never checking a car seat as luggage. It is safest to buy the child a seat and use the car seat on the plane. The Radian is perfect for this as it folds and is nice and slim.

I would recommend going with a replacement Radian, an Uptown or a Scenera. The Radian will last the longest so they will get more return on investment in the long run.

Sorry your friend are having to go through this.

emandbri

Oh and if you do buy another radian and don't want an extra cover, selling the cover would help pay for the new seat. We have a swap section or put it on ebay.

CandCfam

Baggage liability

US Airways' liability for loss, delay or damage to checked baggage is limited to $3,300 per ticketed passenger for travel entirely within the U.S.

When US Airways has exercised the ordinary standard of care, it shall not be liable for damage to or damage caused by fragile articles, liquids, or perishables, nor for the loss of, damage to, or delay in:

* antiques/heirlooms/collectibles
* artistic items
* blueprints
* books/manuscripts/publications
* business samples/equipment/documents & irreplaceable items
* computer hardware/software & related items
* currency
* electronic components
* equipment & related items
* jewelry
* keys
* lifesaving medication
* natural fur products
* negotiable papers/securities/documents
* optics
* photographic/cinematographic audio/video equipment & related items
* precious metals/stones
* silverware
* sound reproduction equipment & related items
* spirits
source: USairways.com

Pixels

Continental makes exceptions to its liability for items unprotected, or packed in a bag that does not provide sufficient protection, or in cardboard boxes. Southwest makes no exceptions that would cover carseats. So I guess it's really carrier by carrier.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You can file a complaint with the BBB if you have to, and even take them to small claims court. They're a big corporation; they are probably not going to want to waste their time and will just pay for it. It's cheaper to pay for a $250 car seat than a day of their lawyers' time.

stannius

They will not cover carseats or strollers unless they are in the original manufacturer's packaging and checked as part of the baggage allowance. It's in the fine print. Unfortunately.

It definitely varies by airline. I have had airlines that made me sign a waiver when checking a cardboard box, no matter how much duct tape I put on. On the flip side, recently I checked a car seat in its original box at the counter, and some time between checking it and delivering it to oversized baggage claim at the other end, they threw away my box and put it in a plastic bag. The box wasn't providing much protection anyways, but my point is, YMMV.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC