E-Z-ON 103Z vest or the 203 vest?

JaRylan

Sorry, can't remember how to put pictures in and it is to late for me to even think about figuring it out, lol. The school is going to order on of the E-Z-ON vests for Rylan to use in the cab to and from school.

This one has the zipper at the back that makes the vest adjustable:

http://www.ezonpro.com/products/familyVehicle/adjustableVest/103z.shtml

This one has the buckles on the front (Rylan might be able to get them open):

http://www.ezonpro.com/products/familyVehicle/adjustableVest/203.shtml

Can someone please help me understand how the zipper on the back of the first one can withstand the forces of a crash? I think I have it figured out in my mind but that is not always the right thing, lol. Is it because the forces will be acting on the shoulder straps and the seatbelt and the only purpose of the zipper is to keep the vest in the right position? I hope someone can understand what I mean. The one with the buckles looks safer but then there is the risk the passenger or the passenger's seatmate releasing it. I had actually looked at one of the 203 vests and the therapist that was showing it to thought that it needed to be used with a cam wrap. But so far as I can tell the cam wrap is only used on buses that have seatbelts.

Thanks!

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The zipper doesn't really take that much force in a crash. The seat belt goes over the hips of the child in front, and the tether hooks to each shoulder strap independently. The force of the crash pulls the shoulder straps toward center and takes pretty much all the forces off the zipper. If your child needing to be in something escape proof, you will need to get the wrist wraps (they attach the child's wrists to the side of the vest). Without hand restraint, there is nothing to prevent the child from simply putting their hand down beside them to unbuckle the vehicle seat belt.

The 203 vest can be used with a Cam Wrap, but Cam Wraps are only for buses, not cabs. It is able to be used with a vehicle seat belt also.

Both vests need special tether anchor hardware once the factory top tether anchor weight limit is reached. I'm not sure it is reasonable to expect the cab(s?) to be retrofitted for this purpose. Out of curiosity, why is he being transported by cab instead of bus, and are they just calling a normal cab company or is this a company specializing in child transport.

JaRylan

Thanks for the explanation on the vest, you said exactly what I was thinking!

Just a regular cab company but the same driver/same car every day. If they need to change the driver or the car they are to notify me and I will transport him myself until things are back to normal. The drivers all undergo an orientation at the beginning of the school year and most of the drivers return every year. He has a seizure disorder and has regressed significantly and traveling by cab means he is in a vehicle for less time and is more closely watched than he would be on a bus. The cab company will do pretty much anything that I tell them they have to do as far as transport and the safety of a child. So installing the higher weight anchors should not be a problem.

Thanks so much for your reply!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC