Question Best carseat that fits both Honda Accord AND Honda Pilot.

U

Unregistered

I have a four year old (43lbs, 42inches) who has very quickly grown out of his current carseat.

I am now looking to upgrade the carseat with another 5 point harness one suitable for children over 40lbs.

The three options I appear to have are Britax Regent, Sunshine Kids Radian XT and Britax Frontier.

The cost of the Frontier rules it out. The Sunshine Kids Radian XT looks quite trendy but it might not last my son more than 2 or three years as it is quite slim and has a short back. The Britax Regent is the cheapest option but it looks HUMONGOUS!!

In addition to all these concerns, my biggest one is that the carseat should fit in both our Honda Accord and Honda Pilot. And as a family of five, the back row should still be able to accommodate two adult passengers in addition to the carseat.

RADIAN XT PROS:The Sunshine Radian is slimmer and probably a better fit. It also looks way more stylish than the bland Regent.

RADIAN XT CONS: I will lose the benefit of a few additional years of use as compared to the Britax Regent. This may mean incurring more cost to buy ANOTHER carseat that will fit him until he is 8 years old.

BRITAX REGENT PROS: I will get maximum life out of this carseat as there is plenty of room to grow both ways. This is a lot cheaper than the Radian as it is on sale right now for $189.99 at

BRITAX REGENT CONS: It is so big that I am worried that there wont be enough room for two passengers with the carseat in place. Hondas are not famous for leg room either.

Can anybody please advice me based on their experience with such carseats and cars.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How about the Graco Nautilus? $150, 18.5" top slots (higher than the Radian or Frontier), 65 pound harness limit, 100 pounds as a booster, both high back and backless. It's fairly narrow, but nowhere near as narrow as the Radian. But then again nothing is. It installs easily with the seatbelt (your LATCH limit is 40 pounds, so you must do a seatbelt installation from now on). The harness and high back are good for six years, the backless is good for nine.

Wendy

Maedze

I just wanted to throw out there that the Frontier, Regent and Radian XT are all priced, I think, within a few dollars of each other. Maybe you were looking on one of the Amazon sites that jacks up the prices? :confused:

I agree with the Nautilus recommendation. I think that will suit your purposes nicely.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The OP found the Regent on sale for $189 so that's where the price comparison is factoring into the decision. I'm curious where it's available for $189, OP please don't leave us hanging. :)

Maedze

oooooo, nice price!

For 189, I'd be tempted to go for the Regent.

I thought maybe she found that awful Amazone site that lists Marathons for 450 dollars etc :eek:

sopapia

i have the same cars as you... honda accord 02 and pilot 04. right now we have 3 seats in both cars across the second row. in the accord, it's snugride/RN80/MA but i found you can also fit MA/RN80/MA. in the pilot we have snugride/MA/Regent.
you're right that regent is ginormous! i googled regent and i can't find the 189 price anywhere for the regent.
however, you can get it for around 186 at hipmonkey with the 15% off code. the frontier is 237 with coupon and it lasts longer (by 3years), can go into booster mode. with your child being on the tall side, this may be a better choice. i don't know how wide the frontier is compared to the regent b/c i don't own one nor tried it in my cars. i just recently saw the nautilus at BRU (since everyone here talks about it). the padding doesn't seem as plush as the britaxes but i'm sure it's a fine seat. i'm a huge britax fan so i'm biased. installing the britax seats are a breeze; the regent may take a bit more work and haven't tried the frontier. i wouldn't want to move the regent on a daily or even weekly basis.

in the pilot, you can put the regent in the middle, MA on the side and sit an average adult semi-comfortably in the remaining space. if you have someone overweight, it's not possible. we've tried both seats on the outboard and the middle seat is very narrow... i can sit in it ok (but i'm 5'2 and around 110-120 lbs). in the accord, it's not possible to sit 2 adults with the regent (i haven't tried but it looks way small). even with one marathon, i'm not sure you can sit two adults comfortably in the back.
with the RN80, i can see that you can sit 2 adults in the back of the accord (put the RN80 in the middle) in the space that occupies the MA. but it's a tight squeeze. you can reach the seatbelt buckle ok. i'm not a big fan of RN80 after getting it. i installed it fine with the LATCH but your child probably need the seatbelt install and i haven't tried that.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

In response to where I got the $189 price, I did add the website link in my initial posting but it isnt appearing. Lets say the the website is comfort1st address and this price was only available in the sahara color (as an overstock item).

Where can I get a 15% off code for the frontier please? (or even the Regent?) I have been finding prices over $300 and that is why I didnt consider it.

Also, does anyone know about the Safety 1st Apex 65 Booster Car Seat? Its listed for $90 on Amazon, even cheaper than the Nautilus but I dont see any reviews or raves on it.

U

Unregistered

Sophapia, I just registered and my id is caged liberty. I would love to get the coupon code and I tried looking on the website but couldnt find it. I also tried googling and that didnt work either.

sopapia

i just looked... no longer 189... now 249. nevermind... i found it. they're sneaky. be careful... they might send you a seat with older expiration date.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No link for the Regent sale appears at all in your post, even in the advanced edit mode as far as I can see when I go into that mode as a moderator. :confused: :eek: Thanks for the general lead on where it may be purchased on sale for that price, though. :)

The Apex requires a vehicle seatback or vehicle headrest at least as tall as the top of the child's ears to provide adequate support and whiplash protection, and the Apex would be outgrown sooner by height in harnessed mode than the other HWH seats you're considering due to its lower top shoulder harness slots. It's also about as wide as the Regent in terms of fit in the vehicle.

sopapia

do a search on overstock regent at the comfort site.

i have to wait until your name pop up. or you can pm me. gotta run to the peds for DD. later.

clmchrissy

I have an 06 Honda Accord and basically have or had all the seats your are looking into (old Radian, not new). I love the Radian, I just can't get an acceptable install FF. My Regent was pre-advisory (before the recline bar was mandatory) so it worked wonderfully w/ latch. The Frontier works only w/ LBP for me, but I've gotten so used to doing it now that its a breeze. Last, but not least the Nautilus is super easy to fit & install in the Accord.

U

Unregistered

I just went to the website and it still has the $189.99

I am going to try and repost the link but in case it doesnt go through, go to the comfort1st website and look for the search bar.

In it type in 'sahara overstock' and the carseat will appear with the $189.99 price tag.

Another little secret to reduce it by $5 more....If you go to check out and start filling in details, just before paying try to close the page. A popup appears asking you not to leave and offering $5 off any product $100 or more!

I did this last night just to find out what the final price would be for the carseat and got this little bonus as I tried to navigate away.

Here is the link..hope it works.

http://comfortfirst.com/p-134336-britax-regent-youth-restraint-car-seat-in-sahara-overstock.aspx

bourriquet76

If it is just one Regent, you can install it long belt path in the driver side third row seat for extra passengers. Long belt path on the passenger side third row does not work, seat belt is not long enough.

I have two Regents in my Pilot, middle row, but when my parents come, we put one Regent in the back row driver side and switch the Nautilus for the other kid in the back row and let the adults take the middle row.

I find the Regent easy to install and can switch it to my MIL's Accord in a minute or two. It does preclude, however, any use of the middle seat because of its width.

Kat_Momof3

and a reminder, since no one else posted it... this still won't be the last seat you buy... whenever it is outgrown, almost all kids (there are rare ones that are just so leggy that, with adjustable shoulderbelts, they don't) need boosters after outgrowing the regent.

My son (my 9yr old) did... he was 6.5yrs old when he outgrew the Regent (he's just SUPER tall... so not to worry, most kids last longer) and he was too tall for a turbo booster and other boosters of same height with the back, but he fit them backless and did not fit the 5-step test.

I got him a Parkway at the time to give him more room in a highback... after that he went to a backless booster and then to a seatbelt at 8 (but again, most kids will not be ready at this age...his little brother will be 8 in July and is only 52" tall... he'll be in a booster a good 3 more years), when he was 4'9" and too tall for his booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC