Vent babies r us

Heather86

warning this is long and ramble-ish

So I've been looking at getting a new seat for a while and I'm trying to wait on the new true fit but we were at babies r us and I figured we could play with the seats while there.

So I had Connor is the boulevard and the lady says "He has to be forward facing" I said "Oh I thought as long as he had an inch of hard shell and was under the weight limit he was okay" she then proceeds to look at me like I'm crazy and say "Well he is entirely too tall to rear face any longer and you need to turn him before he gets seriously hurt" so I was being nice and I said "thank you for the information" and went on with what I was doing.

She then has her manager tell me that I'm not allowed to put my son in the seat rear facing (on the trial bench seat) because he is too tall.....I was really upset...I feel like I was being singled out for using the best car seat practice I know.....I'm probably over reacting but it just really upset me :(

ADS

Evolily

IMHO your baby is too young to forward face!!!

Do you know if you talked to a car seat tech? I would consider sending them information on extended rear-facing so they stop giving customers that advice.

Some people seriously need to MYOB.

I have been harping and harping at my BRU employees about giving bad advice. Finally, I must of gotten through to someone, because when my daycare parent went in, they told her to RF to the limits of the seat and so forth, that some customer told them about it :whistle:
I have called corportate, spoken to managers, and got nothing. I even went there when safekids were there and the guy from safe kids looked at me funny when I was talking about ERF.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
After someone told me (and they keep saying it to customers ALL THE TIME) that my baby was too tall to RF in her SS1 --she looked like this -- http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5101172519647707202I just had to give in and get a job there :p So far, one manager has gotten the point that feet hanging over the edge is NOT a sign the seat's too small...I'm working on the rest of them :cool:

Ok, I would have been LIVID if they had been so totally in my business about whether I could or couldn't put the seat any way I wanted to on the test bench...So much for 'the customer is always right', huh? :mad:

I suppose it couldn't hurt to call corporate, but I doubt it will help :(

emandbri

Oh that would make me mad. Maybe you should print a bunch of posts and show them siggys of kids rear-facing! You are more than welcome to print mine. Elizabeth is just a bit younger than your son born 7-11-06.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It also clearly states in the Boulevard manual that 20lbs AND one year SHOULD be rear-facing and that "it is BEST for children to ride rear-facing to the highest weight or height allowed by the manufacturer".

Lea_Ontario

Sadly, most BRU employees are only 'trained' by reading a little manual put together by the store. There is absolutely NO real proper training for car-seats.

monstah

Nearly the same thing happened to me yesterday too, LOL. But my DD was too big for the seat. I was trying her out in the KF 30, but at 15 months, she is already even with the top of the shell. But you should have SEEN the way employees & even customers were looking at me. :p

I can't believe they gave you a hard time with the test bench. I would be pretty upset. I would write an email and possibly print out some brochures and bring them to a manager at the store and just politely ask them if they could be left in the breakroom. Who knows, maybe someone will read it. :shrug-shoulders:

serabi

I'd write a letter and mail it directly to the store. A nice letter. BRU employees aren't trained, and managers unfortunately aren't either.

Although I would not have been as nice as you were...I would have pulled out the Boulevard manual. BRU is very much into the 'guest is always right' so the manager correcting you like that is ridiculous :whistle:

Lea_Ontario

I just wish our BRU had a test bench. The seats are on the shelves and that's it.

Same here - we are allowed to go out with a customer while they try to floor model in their car, but it would be nice to have a test bench / bucket seat to try out in the store. At -30* it's not a comfortable job going out in a T-shirt to stand around while some putzes around with a seat.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not a big fan of the test bench. It's very flat, has LATCH anchors that stick out about six inches, and has weird seatbelts. In other words, it won't give you a realistic idea of how a seat will install in any car, or how your kid will fit with it installed in yours.

It IS nice to sit on if you get tired, though--as long as you avoid the LATCH anchors.

I didn't notice LATCH anchors sticking out in ours, but I can't imagine any seat that looks like it from any car made in the past 20 years. So, it's nice to sit in like you said, but yeah, it's not realistic at all. Not sure why they bother. I mean, things are a bit different just from my two cars. Installing in one doesn't give me any real idea of how it'd be in the other car. Let alone some ancient looking bench.

Does the OP have a cop friend? Considering the kind of advice she's giving out and all the literature we have contradicting her, it might be useful to have a cop come and scare her by threatening to arrest her for attempted murder if she opens her mouth again. Wouldn't even have to be a direct threat (to keep him out of trouble). He could just say, "Lady, look at all this stuff contradicting you. Quit telling people that stuff. I don't want to have to come back and have you arrested for attempted murder."

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not a big fan of the test bench. It's very flat, has LATCH anchors that stick out about six inches, and has weird seatbelts. In other words, it won't give you a realistic idea of how a seat will install in any car, or how your kid will fit with it installed in yours.

It IS nice to sit on if you get tired, though--as long as you avoid the LATCH anchors.

Dig down in the middle of the bench...you know, the middle, where almost no cars actually allow LATCH? :rolleyes: There are *probably* regular LATCH anchors there that are completely realistic and work a lot better than those FrankenLATCHes on the outboard.

The seatbelt IS so entirely funky that you can barely click the SS1 onto it's base because the buckle is in the beltpath so far :thumbsdown:

Pixels

On ours, the lap/shoulder belt is horribly twisted inside the retractor, and there is no male part near the lap/shoulder. Like it is missing one male and one female portion, so if you click the lap/shoulder into the closest male, it is a double wide. And I don't think it has LATCH at all. I've never seen anyone use it for anything (including sitting on).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC