Recommended newborn seat for non 1st timer

Would you recommend convertible or infant seat in this situation?

• Infant seat

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Convertible

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Either way, doesn't matter

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Clicky box for other

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

christineka

Just wondering what you'd all recommend to someone who has had another child recently (in the past few years), left the infant seat in the vehicle most of the time (proven babywearer), having the baby in late spring/early summer, and has a history of carrying babies past term.

Lets say this person already has a convertible seat that is known to fit newborns well and does not have an infant seat. The father of the baby is not on board for buying yet another car seat. Also, the seat will have to fit in a 3 across situation.

ADS

christineka

And the converitible she currently has fits in the 3 across?

Yes. It is an Evenflo Tribute. Quite thin. I admit, as time is becoming closer (ultrasound tomorrow!) I am starting to doubt my previous decision.

I bought an Embrace only 2.5 years ago for the previous baby. I never took it out of the van. Maybe that was because it was extra heavy? Or maybe it was because it was located in the third row? I've taken up baby wearing, likely due to that car seat. The Embrace was sold some time ago- originally with the idea that a new infant seat would be purchased for the next baby. Then I became frugal and hey, I've got a spare seat! This baby may possibly be the last.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I brought my third home in a convertible and do not regret it for one second. I met most of those conditions, except I bought a convertible new and was induced before term (but have long babies.)

I'm never buying an infant seat again (for me), unless I have a baby who really doesn't fit in one. I plan on the TF with ARB for my next baby...

skueppers

I used an infant seat with both of my kids, but they were born in the winter, and I found it convenient to be able to get them into the seat indoors.

The only reason I can think of to get an infant seat in this situation is if you think it would be helpful to move a sleeping baby into the house/restaurant/etc. in the infant car seat. Neither of my kids were much into that, but I know it works great for a lot of people.

You can always get an infant seat later if you discover that you wish you had one.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Kira was born in November (worst winter in 20+ years). I used a convertible from birth. Never once regretted it.

skueppers

Kira was born in November (worst winter in 20+ years). I used a convertible from birth. Never once regretted it.

Out of curiosity -- do you have a garage?

I was having trouble imagining wanting to put my newborn into a convertible car seat in the winter in Iowa, and then I realized that perhaps a garage was involved...

skaterbabs

I did use an infant seat and for me it was extremely convienent because that was one of the few places Joy would sleep and we were (are) in and out of the car constantly for different activities. It was nice that if she fell asleep on the way to tball practice or cub scouts that we could just pop the carrier into the stroller and go.

christineka

We have a car port, but baby should come in June when the temps should be between 70 and 90 degrees. It won't start getting really cold until November when baby will be 4+ months old and a baby that old is too heavy for me to carry with a car seat.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Out of curiosity -- do you have a garage?

I do have a garage. It's detached, and I only use it if I'm worried about tree limbs falling on the car (i.e., if I know an ice or wind storm is coming). With Kira being a newborn, I actually used the garage less than usual last year, because my usual parking spot is right outside the front door, and the garage is so much farther away, plus Hubby was deployed, so his car was in the garage takin' up space. :cool:

I dress her in a fleece snow suit (my favorite is the cotton lined Cozy Fleece Warmup Suit, but for a while her single-layer LandsEnd fleece suit fit better) and cover her with a blanket, and she's fine. Oh, and she wore a Hanna Andersson pilot cap under the hood at first, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC