Hi, I'm new and I have question about the TF and infants

CarrieW

I have a 5 mos old baby. He's quite big lol. 2ounces shy of 22lbs and his bucket seat only goes to 22 lbs so today I picked up the TF after doing some research and reading reviews.

Today I was looking at your threads about the TF and saw someone saying how she'd would keep her infant in the bucket seat rather than using the TF rearfaced. I can't keep Isaiah in the bucket seat. Thoughts?

ADS

zeo2ski

The one difficulty I can think of with RFing the TF is that sometimes the harness adjuster is hard to access because it gets buried in the vehicle seat back. If you have reclining seat backs that can help though. Everyone has opinions and preferences on different seats, but it doesn't mean someone else will feel the same way about it. Try the TF and see if it works for YOU and your babe and your car, and that's all that matters! Good luck.

The TF is a wonderful RFing seat! You'll love it, and just make sure you keep the headrest in since your baby is at 22 lbs.

flutie128

I love the TF for my 8 month old. She is way more comfy in it than the snugride she outgrew. I will say it can be hard to get at the adjuster but I don't need to loosen it all the time since it has a continuous harness.

MOM25BOYS

I'm new and I have question about the TF and infants

Hi and Welcome, you are going to find some who like it and some who just don't. I love the TF and as the pp said some do have trouble with the adjuster getting buried.:( You just need to try it and see how it works for you and your vehicle. If it helps this is how my 6mth old fit in the TF when I bought it.....http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=60076

Good Luck.:)

mommycat

Re: I'm new and I have question about the TF and infants

As for someone else saying they would keep their baby in the bucket seat, did they by any chance have a Safe Seat? (or in the US I guess it could have been some other seat) These seats have a RF limit of 30 lbs. Since yours has a limit of 22lbs, you are correct in saying that you need to move your son.

I have a TF as well and love the seat. It is an excellent choice of convertible seat! :thumbsup: There is a trick to dealing with a buried adjustor by taking advantage of the continuous loop harness, as flutie mentioned. Also, if you have other issues with installing or using your seat, please come and ask and we will all be more than happy to help you trouble shoot.

CarrieW

Thanks everyone for your info

Hi and Welcome, you are going to find some who like it and some who just don't. I love the TF and as the pp said some do have trouble with the adjuster getting buried.:( You just need to try it and see how it works for you and your vehicle. If it helps this is how my 6mth old fit in the TF when I bought it.....http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=60076

Good Luck.:)
I noticed you don't use the headrest. I tried my son in the seat while it's in the house lol. He seemed to like it, fell asleep almost instantly (he loves carseats). Anyways he's about the same height as your son, but is almost 22lbs. Someone else said to use the headrest because of his weight. Is it possible the weight is only there because most babies at 22lbs are a lot taller than my son? He's 27inches.

zeo2ski

Yes that's possible, but it doesn't really matter WHY you the manufacturer says you have to use it, you still have to even if you don't need the height. Silly but true.
The headrest has long rods that go down into the seat so it's possible that it adds some structural integrity for the higher weight as well. But regardless of the reason, you do have to use it.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member

no, it is an absolute rule in the TF you may only use it without the headrest until 22 pounds. so you will HAVE to use it with the headrest.
There has been some speculation as to whether or not the rule has anything to do with the height oif the child, but there is no known answer. So, even for a short little 27 incher, you must still use the top portion if the child is over 22 pounds.
I'm dying here, because my son is 27 inches...and 20 pounds...and turns 13 months this week..he's tiny, LOL!

MOM25BOYS

Thanks everyone for your info

I noticed you don't use the headrest. I tried my son in the seat while it's in the house lol. He seemed to like it, fell asleep almost instantly (he loves carseats). Anyways he's about the same height as your son, but is almost 22lbs. Someone else said to use the headrest because of his weight. Is it possible the weight is only there because most babies at 22lbs are a lot taller than my son? He's 27inches.

:yeahthat: Just what everyone else has told you.:thumbsup: It is the manufacturers rule that at 22lbs the headrest needs to be added. I actually liked it better with the headrest. It looked funny to me without it, lol. He looked so tiny in it, but he still fit great. Honestly the TF took up no more room than my Britax Marathon that I previously had in that position.;)

ETA: If I remember correctly the infant supports CAN NOT be used once a child hits 22lbs either. Can someone make sure for me?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

Yep, the infant padding has to come out at (or after?) 22 lbs.

CarrieW

Yes that's possible, but it doesn't really matter WHY you the manufacturer says you have to use it, you still have to even if you don't need the height. Silly but true.
The headrest has long rods that go down into the seat so it's possible that it adds some structural integrity for the higher weight as well. But regardless of the reason, you do have to use it.

Ahh, never thought of that. Well headrest it is, regardless what those rods are for.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC