Question 4 seats in 2006 grand caravan

4mom

I have a 2006 Grand Caravan and just got all new seats for my kids - 6 year old, 4 year old, 16 month old twins. The 6 year old and 4 year old are now in Graco Nautilus seats with the harness and the twins are rear facing in Britax Marathons. What is the best way to arrange these seats for the best fit? I am also looking at some way to be able to transport another person as well - usually a child, but sometimes the need is for another adult.

Currently I have the two Nautilus seats in the 3rd row one on each side of the bench and then the Marathons are rear facing in the 2nd row in captains chairs. It doesn't seem like anyone would be able to fit in between the Nautilus seats, plus there is only a lap belt there and I can't put a kid there. Also, is it a problem that the Nautilus seats aren't tethered in those locations because there are no anchor points there? The Marathons are not tethered at this point either (just installed with the lower anchors) because we can't figure out how to do that because there are no anchors for rear facing.

I have become so concerned about this ever since my father-in-law was hit on the drivers side. I want to make sure my seats are installed the best they can be and transport other people in the safest way possible.

Thanks.

ADS

mominabigtruck

Just me personally I would switch them. How are you getting into the back to buckle the older kids in? Right now I would put the twins in the third row and the older two in the captains chairs tethered. You can get tethers installed anywhere in a caravan, I just had all 5 put in my 98 caravan for free at my local dealership.

Maedze

I would put the two Nautiluss in the center row and the Marathons in the third row rearfacing. You can load the babies in through the hatch.

I've never done an install in that vehicle, but it's possible you *might* be able to get 2 Marathons side by side in the third row rearfacing, leaving room in a lap-shoulder position for another rider.

You could also put one rear facing Marathon in the front with one Nautilus, put a Nautilus in the center position with the tether in the back seat and a rearfacing Marathon next to it. That may puzzle a little better.

There are directions for doing a rearfacing tether in your manual and I think someone here has a video showing a rearfacing tether, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

In any case let me try to give you a quick run down to make it easier.

1. Locate your D-ring. The d-ring is an 8" pice of webbing with a solid metal loop on the end that came with your Marathon, probably attached to the end of the top tether.

2. Locate a fixed point toward the front of the vehicle, usually the track of the seat in front of it. Make sure this fixed point doesn't move with the seat.

3. Loop the D ring webbing tightly around the fixed point.

4. Attach the versa tether. Pull it snug, but not so tight it twangs. Just remove all the slack out of it. :)

If you can post a picture we can eyeball it and let you know if it looks good :D

Maedze

Just me personally I would switch them. How are you getting into the back to buckle the older kids in? Right now I would put the twins in the third row and the older two in the captains chairs tethered. You can get tethers installed anywhere in a caravan, I just had all 5 put in my 98 caravan for free at my local dealership.

The OP has an 06 MY. Generally vehicles after 2000 do not allow additional tethers to be added other than the ones that come factory installed.

mominabigtruck

The OP has an 06 MY. Generally vehicles after 2000 do not allow additional tethers to be added other than the ones that come factory installed.

So why would I be able to get tethers in my 98 but her 06 doesn't come with any rear tethers?? That doesn't make any sense to me:confused:

Maedze

So why would I be able to get tethers in my 98 but her 06 doesn't come with any rear tethers?? That doesn't make any sense to me:confused:

OOOO I see what you are saying. She's talking about 'rearfacing tethers' which almost no cars in the US have. I don't think the OP realized how to use the D-ring, which is what I explained up there.

The 06 MY I believe has three top tethers for forward facing, 2 in the middle row, one in the middle position of the third row.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
You should be able to do rear-facing tethers but you only have 3 top-tethers in the Caravans. You cannot have more put in either. You have the 2 captains chairs and the Center of the rear-seat.
I would definitely try the 2 marathons side-by-side on the rear seat (I've fit 3 seats across mine but not the MAs). The only problem is getting in to buckle them (other than through the hatch). Good luck in fitting that extra person (I haven't figured out how to do that easily).
I'm curious how your older 2 get in the back seat with 2 RF seats in there? I'm looking at a similar situation soon.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
It would be preferable to have the Nautiluses tethered. I would try 1 Nautilus in the back in the center, tethered, and a Marathon next to it. In the middle captains chairs I would put the other Nautilus, tethered, and the other Marathon.

U

Unregistered

Thank you to everyone who posted replies. It sounds like the Nautilus seats really should be tethered and that I CANNOT get additional anchors installed for those in the back. Why can't cars newer than 2000 have more tethers installed - do you know?

For those that asked, my older kids get in through the slider on the passenger side. The captains chairs do move (so I put it all the way back) and I move the passenger seat all the way up. They squeeze through just fine right now. I am able to help them buckled by reaching over the captains chairs. It works pretty good right now, except for the fact that I can't fit anyone else in the car and that the Nautilus seats are not tethered.

If I had the Nautilus seats in the middle chairs tethered, how would I tether the marathons in the 3rd row - I couldn't use the same anchors. Is it ok to tether with the d-ring somewhere else on that same seat that the Nautilus' are tethered?

I know my husband will fight me on moving things around in the car, SOOO; what can I tell him is being compromised safety wise with the Nautilus seats not being tethered?

Thanks.

Marie

U

Unregistered

4 seats in 2006 dodge grand caravan #2

In response to some of the replies to my earlier post, I have another question. I have switched my car seats - 2 Graco Nautilus seats ( 6 year old, 47 lbs and 4 year old, 36 lbs)
in the middle captians chairs tethered on the anchor bar and 2 Britax Marathons RF in the 3rd row. I currently have these RF tethered with the D-ring to a bar under the 2 captains chairs. Is this ok? I didn't know if I could have the Nautilus seats tethered at the tether latch anchor point and have the Britax tethered to a structural frame piece of the same seat. If not, should I abandon the plan and switch the seats around again? I am trying to have all the seats tethered, but since I only have 3 top tether points it is making this difficult.

Now, with my 16 month old twins in the 3rd row now, how do people best load from the hatch. I see this being very awkward, but I am hoping there are some tips here. Has anyone used something in a similar situation to see their RF children in the 3rd row while driving?

Furthermore, my 6 year old will probably be too tall for the harness in 6-8 months. Should I put him back to the 3rd row since the seat can't be tethered any more or would it still be best to have him in the 2nd row?

Thanks.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I did your first arrangement in our old minivan, but my older kids were in boosters so no tether needed.

I have only put a rf in the 3rd row when I had to. For me it was ackward. We always had a large double stroller back there to work around.

Hope someone else has tips for you.

Maedze

As long as that bar is a non-moveable part of the seat, it's fine :thumbsup:

The difference the tether makes is all about head excursion. In an accident, the forward facing child is most at risk of injuries to the neck/spine. The more we can reduce the distance the head is flung, the less likely the injury. The top tether can reduce head excursion by four inches or more. In terms of spinal injury, that's huge.

The Graco Nautiluses can be top tethered and LATCHed in booster mode, so I would leave the seats as they are until your twins reach the weigh limit on the Marathon and need to be turned forward facing.

Pixels

My experience with hatch-loading was triplet infants in a 2000-ish Oddy. You just step in the trunk area, and lift baby over the seatback.

When your 6 year old outgrows the harness, you don't have to move him if you don't want to. The Nautilus can be top tethered, or not, in booster mode. We don't know that it makes any safety difference, but it might reduce tippiness. If you still have that vehicle and those seats when the twins turn FFing, then definitely give up the tether location so that the harnessed children can have the tethers.

Kat_Momof3

what I would do so that you can easily buckle everyone is put the twins in the third row and the older two in the second row.

even if you can't tether the rearfacing seats, that's fine... the tether is more important for forward facing seats.

I've loaded rearfacing toddlers into my regular Caravan (not grand), but it really isn't that hard.... you just remove your headrests (totally easy) on that bench, load the kid in feet first, and then I put my knee on the van floor, but you have a well there, so you'll just step into it and situate and fasten them (cause you can load them first).... then load the stroller last.

It will seem inconvenient the first two times... but once you get the new routine down, it will make life so much easier, because you can have the 6yr old open one door (unless you have a power door), have the older two go right into the car and get in their seats (and maybe even have them buckle themselves.... or at least the 6yr old buckle), and, if you put the 4yrold behind you, then all you have to do is buckle and/or check the 4yr old, close that door, then hop into your own seat and turn around, check the 6yr old, have her hand you the strap to tighten if needed, and you'll be ready to go.

LEAW

You might be able to put 3 across the back, there should be one FF tether in the 3rd row. If you can put the twins and one bigger kid back there, tether the big kid in the center, RF the little ones. Then put the other bigger kid on a captains chair, you can fold, stow or remove (forget which year does what, mine come out) and the captains chair fits really well in the cargo space, though I think yours can do stow'n'go right?

That way, you have lots of space to get in and buckle, close the door to keep warm, etc and you don't have to hatch load the babies.

When/if you have another person to transport, you have that 2nd captains chair, and your biggest kid in the back can keep an eye on the twins and keep them amused.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC