Thinner seats for my 3 year old niece?

My sister called me today to tell me that her Cargo expires December of this year(the one i gave her).
My niece is on the second to top slots, 30 pounds, 38 inches tall, 3 years old(turned the beginning of November).

She has a FPSVD, but hates hates that seat. My niece is really bad in the car-screams, throw tantrums, ect. The only seat my sister found that works is the cargo, my niece likes sitting low and not so "hugged". My sister wants her harnessed as long as possible, especially because she is bad in the car(she has some sensory issues too).

My sister needs a thin seat due to her having a small car(nissan sentra and then the malibu). I know the malibu you can fit 3-across, but she has a hard time buckling the booster of my almost 7 year old niece(Graco HBB) and my nephew is 12(smaller, should be in a booster, but that is another story).

She wants another cargo, but not sure since it only goes to 40 pounds. My sister Stinks at installing carseats and so does my BIL, no matter how many times I tell them. They try their hardest, lol.

So, I am worried about recommending a radian. But, thinking it is her only option and it does sit low like the cargo and doesn't hug so much. She hates the chase, so that is a no go.

My sister is wanting to buy this seat with tax money since this is the only time they have extra money. They need an extra seat anyways to replace the FPSVD in the other car.

Any seats I am missing?

Thanks. :)

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
At 30# and 2nd to top slots, she probably has time in the CarGo. If she really wants another CarGo, it should last her a while. Just make sure she gets a different booster later.

If you're really wanting a HWH seat for her, is there anywhere you can try the Radian in her vehicles do see how difficult the install is in them? The Radian isn't tough in all vehicles, so if it would work in hers, that might be a good option.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
That situation screams "RADIAN!" to me. I don't think it is tricky to install, especially if you get it set up for them (i.e. harness at correct height, SafeStop and tether system set up) so they can just plug-and-play. The install shouldn't be difficult, you just have to know the seat's quirks, which is true of any install.

Can you get your hands on the seat first so you can look at the manual and play with it a bit? Then you can just tell them what they need to know to use it safely.

Ohhh this is good to know about the radian and malibu(she drives I think a 2002 malibu). I am thinking about pitching in some $$$ and getting her a radian from hip monkey.

They are wanting to get rid of the nissan(it is just too small for their family and it keeps breaking down on them), but it is paid off, same as malibu, but don't have money for a car payment(they need a van or suv). THey have to move by June 1st too out of their rental. YIKES!

Anyways...

I have had a radian before and my sister loved the look of it, but I could never install it without sweat and tears with seatbelt in my van, so I got rid of it(but, thinking I may need one again. I am thinking a radian in my sister's main car and a cargo in the extra car and hope the cargo lasts her awhile until they can get a van so she doesn't have to switch cars alot.

I might borrow one of my friend's radian's and try it out in my sister's car to see how easy it will go.

Oh and if they get another cargo, they will not use it as a booster. My sister knows they make crappy boosters. She used to use a Cosco High back as a booster and hated it.

She is really good about getting the straps tight, right level, chest clip right and so forth, but just cant seem to install the seats. I am going to work on this with her come spring.

featherhead

If you go with the Radian, remember for FF if you lower the recline foot it makes the installation much easier/better in most cases.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you go with the Radian, remember for FF if you lower the recline foot it makes the installation much easier/better in most cases.

I disagree. I would say in SOME cases but not in MOST cases. In the outboard positions in my car, we have to have it reclined to get it installed. In my dad's car, it has to recline in the middle but CANNOT recline outboard. In the Ford E 350 I used them in, it was equally easy to use them with or without recline. It really has to do with the shape of the seat you're using them on, I think, but I wouldn't say that you need the recline in most cases. MOst of the cars I've tried it in, I got a good install without the recline.

Pixels

I'll add (for FFing) that it's better to put it a couple of inches forward of the bight, and push down not back while tightening. It made all the difference in the world in DH's car (4++ inches of movement vs. almost none).

jillianrose

I had two Radians and a highback booster in my Nissan Sentra. It was a little tight for buckling the middle child in the booster, but overall it was very doable. I recently traded the Nissan for a Ford Explore and honestly it's not much different....still tricky to buckle the middle child in the booster, but it's doable and I think you'll have that problem with any car and carseat combination when you put three across. The Radians are very nice seats and very narrow campared to other seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC