Master Infant seat list?

christineka

Is there one? Or perhaps one that just needs a little updating? If not, would anyone care to help create one?

I am looking to make a list of infant bucket seats for expectant mothers. I'd like to point out the highest recommended ones as well. We all know that the best car seat is the one that best fits your child, car, blah, blah, blah, but it is well known around here that some seats are universally better at doing that than others. It would certainly be easier to start out with those models to see if they work, rather than trying others and becoming very frustrated.

So, please let me know or start a list, please!

ADS

firemomof3

Here is a list:
Graco SnugRide
Minimum weight requirement of 5 pounds
22 pound weight limit (models manufactured prior to May 2005 have 20 pound limits)
Handle can be up or down
Some models have rear harness adjusters (these models are harder to use and should be avoided)
Shorter shell, tends to be outgrown by height before weight
Most new models have EPS foam
No built-in seatbelt lockoff
$80-$150
Available most anywhere

Graco SafeSeat 1
30 pound weight limit
Handle can be up or down
Built-in seatbelt lockoff
EPS foam
Harness may not be a good fit for small newborns
$130-$190

Chicco KeyFit
Minimum weight requirement of 4 pounds
22 and 30 pound weight limit (depending on model)
Handle can be up or down
EPS foam
Built-in seatbelt lock off
Very easy to install
$160-$170

Combi Shuttle/Connection
No minimum weight requirement
22 pound weight limit
Handle must be up
EPS foam
Built-in seatbelt lockoff
Puzzle buckle
$150-$170

Safety First Onboard
Minimum weight requirement of 4 pounds
22 pound weight limit
Harness specially designed to fit preemies
EPP foam
No built-in seatbelt lockoff
$80-$100

Pixels

BabyTrend
22 pound weight limit
Handle must be down
EPS foam
no built-in lockoffs
puzzle buckle
$90ish

christineka

That's a great list! I haven't even heard of some of those. Out of the full list, which would you NOT recommend and why? (I know the Evenflos are not due to the handle, space, and Evenflo's recall issues. Also the Orbit for being insanely expensive.) What about the others? What is the difference between all the combi models? Isn't there a Britax infant seat or is it discontinued?

Baby Trend EZ-Loc, Flex-Loc, Latch-Loc Adjustable Back
Chicco KeyFit Infant Car Seat
Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat
Combi Centre ST/DX/EX
Combi Connection
Combi Shuttle 5-point
Compass Baby Infant Car Seat
Eddie Bauer Deluxe Infant Car Seat
Eddie Bauer Sure Fit
Eddie Bauer Sure Fit 30
Evenflo Discovery 5
Evenflo Embrace
Evenflo First Choice 5
The First Years Via Infant Car Seat
Graco SnugRide
Graco SnugRide 32
Maxi-Cosi Mico Infant Car Seat
Mia Moda Viva, Viva Supreme Infant Car Seat
Orbit Infant Car Seat
Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP 30/30
Safety 1st Designer
Safety 1st OnBoard
Safety 1st OnBoard 30

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Safety 1st/Eddie Bauer infant seats (except the On Board) have that pain-in-the-rear no-splitter-plate harness. They're still worth a look, and possibly worth a buy, but it's worthwhile to note that in any description you give so people aren't caught off-guard by it.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
You're correct in that most of us wouldn't recommend that Evenflo seats. I wouldn't recommend any seat that's not front adjust. The Britax Companion is discontinued; they're supposedly releasing a new infant seat this Spring called the Chaperone. The Centre and the Shuttle are basically the same seat, except the Shuttle has an antirebound bar on the actual seat (not the base) (the Centre ARB does have this feature), and the Centre starts from 5# while the Shuttle starts from birth. I think the Shuttle base may also have a built in lock off (really a built in locking clip) that the Centre doesn't have. The Connection has a base that has a unique belt path (kind of a serpentine belt path); I believe it has kind of high top slots for an infant seat, but I could be wrong. The Primo Viaggio has its fans, but most find it pretty expensive for the features is has (or doesn't have - like no built in lock-offs). The SnugRide 32 is the prettymuch the same seat as the SafeSeat 1 (different labels and weight limits is all). The OnBoard30/SureFit30 are the same as the OnBoard/SureFit, just tested to the higher limit, and actually, I believe they're supposed to be the OnBoard35/SureFit35, going to 35#, not 30#.

christineka

I thought I had read about the onboard being to 35 pounds. So, we're pretty sure it isn't any bigger of a shell than the 22 pound one? The combis sound nice, but I supposed they're expensive.

Are the Eddie Bauers the same as the Safety Firsts?

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The OnBoard/Surefit that goes past 22# is on Dorel's sites as 35, not 30. The pic is actually the exact same, and from what I heard/read they were just planning on retesting the seat to 35# without making any changes. I believe they just did the 22# to start w/ so it would have a sooner release date. The shell is pretty long, though, and the seat is VERY deep, deeper than the SS1 I think, so I would say a child would probably make it closer to 30/35# in it than the Keyfit30.

Yes, the Eddie Bauer & Safety 1st & Cosco infant seats (other than the OnBoard & Surefit which are the same seat as each other but different from the others) are the same. All the Designer 22 and Deluxe Infant and whatever other name they slap on the same seat.

Pixels

There is a non-adjustable back version of the BabyTrend. I haven't actually seen it, but I haven't been looking for it, either. It's mentioned in the manual.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC