fisher price or britax

U

Unregistered

I'm in the market for a new convertible seat, I had bought a comfortsport and its a piece of junk so I'm giving it to my mom to put in her van so anyways I'm debating between the fp safe voyage and a britax blvd. We live out in the middle of nowhere so I will be buying online so I won't be able to see in person. I know fp is made by britax so I was wondering how it stacks up to a britax. Never had one but want one, hopefully I can pretend it just appeared to hubby. Also how easy to install, I take my carseat out and use it in my semi so I need something that's not to heavy so I can lift it up into the truck while holding the baby.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The FP seat weighs 13 pounds. The BV about 25. How often will you be installing it? And will you be holding the baby in it? Or the baby on your hip? Sorry, your post was a bit confusing to me.

I'm afraid I don't know all the specifics on the differences. The FP goes to 55 pounds, the BV to 65. The FP has three slots, the BV has an infinitely adjustable headrest, rather than slots (and the Marathon has four slots, to give you an idea). I'm not quite certain what else.

Wendy

my3girls

If it's a lifting issue, sounds like the FP is your best bet. Unless you would consider the Cosco Scenera. Yesterday I had the Scenera and a Marathon to compare and the weight difference is EXTREME! I wanted to mention that the 55 # limit on the FP would only be an issue in the rarest of cases where it was a really chunky kid. Most kids outgrow the harness before they get near the weight limit.
p.s I just weighed our Scenera and it looks like it weighs 9 pounds. It has a shorter top harness slot than the others mentioned, so if you are considering it please post your child's torso height (sit them against the wall and measure from the floor to where a strap would go over their shoulder)

U

Unregistered

I would never ever get a cosco scencera, I think they're really cheaply made. I'm going to be putting the carseat in the truck while holding the baby with the other hand. And my baby is really tall and thin, alot thinner then my oldest actually.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Unregistered said:
I would never ever get a cosco scencera, I think they're really cheaply made. I'm going to be putting the carseat in the truck while holding the baby with the other hand. And my baby is really tall and thin, alot thinner then my oldest actually.

They're lacking many of the comforts and conveniences of more expensive seats, but they're no less safe because of it. With the exception of added side impact protection there is little documented safety differences between a $40 seat and a $300 seat that I know of. There may be comfort issues after the fact, but they must all pass the same government standards (FMVSS213). I looked it up. In fiscal year 2005 the Scenera/Touriva failed at one lab due to a labelling issue. So not a safety issue per se, just an issue with their labels being either not there or not easy enough to read, or not in english and spanish. In another lab it passed. Of course the Britaxes passed. In statistics including head excursion and knee excursion data both the Britaxes and the Scenera passed with flying colors, in fact the Scenera forward facing had less excursion than the Marathon. So yes, they're missing comfort items, but they're no less safe because they are cheaper. You're simply not paying for convenience and ease and padding.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss213/213_2005.PDF

Wendy

jmir

The FP seat has very uncomfortable feeling fabric. If I lived in a cold climate where there were almost always long sleeves, I would consider it but I wouldn't want to have to sit in it during the summertime.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The one at Babies R Us doesn't seem too bad. It reminds me (a little bit, at least) of some of Britax's fabrics, such as Racer, Midnight, and Speedway.

I HATE the fabric choice at Baby Depot. Yuck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC