True Fit - Like it or Dislike it?

momto2princes

I know the True Fit is getting good reviews and it has a lot of good qualities and safety features going for it.

But....

I must be the only one that doesn't like the True Fit. I went today to inspect it and took Logan with me. He liked it ok but wasn't thrilled. I guess being a Britax snob has altered my appreciation for seats because it just seemed cheaply made.

Any thoughts...am I totally alone?

ADS

I wasn't thrilled. But, with #2 on the way, I saw the post that said it took up less room front to back than OP's Britax so I'm intrigued. Need to find out if it's feasible to install side by side with another RF convertible.

scatterbunny

I actually really love it and feel like it's a solid, well-made, quality seat. The only thing I don't love is the lockoffs/installation (which, admittedly, is a huge thing) but it's doable for me, and I have a giant kiddo, so if I needed another convertible, I'd want one that was comfy for bigger, stockier toddlers. My dd always preferred seats that sit lower to the vehicle seat, with good leg support, and I want a seat that has nice, deep wings. The MA doesn't fit the bill for us, I'd choose a True Fit.

There is no one perfect seat, that's for sure! Everyone's needs, likes and dislikes vary. Good thing we have some decent HWH choices now!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I like it. Truth be told, it has seemed just as well made as the MA I had and I trust it's integrity and performance more than I trusted the MA. It probably helps that it fits my kids so much better than the MA though.

I loved Britax when I first got my MA. There was also no competition at the time and it replaced a much hated AO. It's highly unlikely that I'll buy another Britax seat. I still recommend them as choices, but personally speaking, I've lost a good deal of faith in them as a brand and it would take a lot for me to personally support them by purchasing one of their seats again. They're not anything special to motivate me to pay an extra $70 to $100.

It's not the seat for everyone - no seat is. But if I was choosing between it and a MA I'd choose the True Fit. Britax has a lot of catch up to do IMO if they want to compete. Past reputation means nothing to me, recent and current events do. Frankly speaking, I don't completely get being a Britax snob anymore when there are so many other nice seats to choose from. :eek:

U

Unregistered1

I don't really like the true fit either. I don't have a good reason, and I don't own one so it's not the most informed opinion, but I played with one at Target and I just didn't like it. Not a seat I would buy for my child. I'm not a Britax snob, I love my Nautiluses (Nautili?) and I even loved my Evenflo combination seats, but for some reason I'm just not fond of the true fit.

MOM25BOYS

I loved my TF's that I had and miss them already.:D I am not so patiently waiting for the new ARB one to become available. I love Britax and think I always will just because of the ease of use it has and the cool covers you can get for one.:p I can puzzle a MA with just about any of my other seats which is something I can't do that easily with the TF. But the TF is lined with the EPS foam which I really liked, I never had to take the harness off to wash the cover or to adjust for a different child, and it just seemed to fit my boys better. I like the fact they sat deeper in the seat too. I don't see it as a cheaply made seat but a less costly alternative to those who just can't afford a new MA but would like a long lasting seat.:D Like the PP said, some will like it and some won't.

ETA: And Codex57 it does really great side by side another RF seat or at least it does in my vehicle. I have pics of it side by side with a EFTA and with a SS1.

MoreLatte

Overall, I like the TF, but I'm not in :love: with it like I am my MAs!

I like the roominess of it for my 5yo DD, while she still fit in the MA, she was starting to look crammed into it at 4 1/2.

But, for my 2 1/2yo DD who is 32# and FF, its almost too roomy. She has head slump when sleeping in it. It isn't her seat, so she rarely rides in it.

I also love being able to adjust the TF harness without rethreading! That is very handy for switching between children.

I like that it sits lower on the seat- no base.

I don't care for the lock-offs. I don't like having to pull the cover up and try to hold it out of the way while I'm also trying to position the seatbelt 'just so' so it will lock properly...too many things to do with just 2 hands!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I like it from playing at it and I am getting one with ARB to bring my next baby home in! Especially if they put out really cute covers for it.

Spam

I really like mine too. I'm oh so patiently waiting for the new ARB version to come out as well and plan to "upgrade" to that one. All seats have the good, bad, and ugly about them. I have a hard time convincing myself that Britax is worth the extra $$ or is is just the name that makes it more $$..

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I loved Britax when I first got my MA. There was also no competition at the time and it replaced a much hated AO. It's highly unlikely that I'll buy another Britax seat. I still recommend them as choices, but personally speaking, I've lost a good deal of faith in them as a brand and it would take a lot for me to personally support them by purchasing one of their seats again. They're not anything special to motivate me to pay an extra $70 to $100.

It's not the seat for everyone - no seat is. But if I was choosing between it and a MA I'd choose the True Fit. Britax has a lot of catch up to do IMO if they want to compete. Past reputation means nothing to me, recent and current events do. Frankly speaking, I don't completely get being a Britax snob anymore when there are so many other nice seats to choose from. :eek:

If you're interested in sharing I'm intrigued by this post and would love to hear about your experience that led you to feel this way, whether in a post or a PM, either is fine with me. :)

NannyMom

I don't like the RF lockoffs. Seems silly to have to use it with LATCH, and it was a pain to do so. I also don't like the difficulty with reaching the harness adjuster.

However, I am waiting to check out the TF w/ ARB. I'm very excited about it. It looks like that will fix the harness adjuster issues, and um...hopfully I can get over my thoughts on the lockoff. Because I'm betting DD will eventually need one (or 4?) if I RF her as long as I plan to. It has a really tall shell.

momto2princes

I like it. Truth be told, it has seemed just as well made as the MA I had and I trust it's integrity and performance more than I trusted the MA. It probably helps that it fits my kids so much better than the MA though.

I would love to know more about how you feel (if you care to share that is!)

momto2princes

I can't tell you exactly why I don't like it as much as I thought I would. Maybe it will grow on me.
I guess it come down to what fits your child best and mine are extremely lean and average height.
I tried not to compare it to my MA when I was in the store but it is hard not to because I have had my MA's for so long and we love them so much!!

In Canada there isn't as many seat choices as there are in the US either so that has an impact too.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If you're interested in sharing I'm intrigued by this post and would love to hear about your experience that led you to feel this way, whether in a post or a PM, either is fine with me. :)

I would love to know more about how you feel (if you care to share that is!)

There are a few different reasons I have that I'd share in PM if you like. I'm not going to air it publicly on the board right now because they're my personal opinions and I don't want to "trash" Britax, and I don't want to completely hijack the thread either. :eek: But I'll leave it at saying that there are a number of issues that have disturbed me enough to add up to me having some doubts. How big or small an issue those things would add up to for each person is something you'd have to individually assess. :thumbsup:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I don't like the lock offs. I couldn't get the FFing one closed unless I took the latch strap out, and then where do you put that? I don't like the harness adjuster, not smooth enough for me.

canadiangie

I don't like the mandatory use lock-offs.

I don't like continuous loop harnesses in general.

I don't like the buried harness adjuster when it's used rf.

I worry that people aren't pulling out the slack in the hips... as in, I think the buckle tongues a bit too narrow. (and yes, I think the same thing about many other seats).

I worry about all the slack in the hips (as mentioned above) in combination with the insanely thick infant padding in combination with the buried harness adjuster. My mind takes me to babies slip-sliding out the top like wet footballs. :eek:

I DO like the 35lb rf limit.

I DO like how roomy the seat is.

I DO like how much rf leg room it provides.

I DO like the price point being reasonable and doable for most families needing a seat.

I DO like that it's mainstream and found just about everywhere.

I DO like that it comes in pink. ;)

All that said, I'm looking forward to the ARB coming here in about 12-18mos, and will probably give one a shot, assuming I'm still in the market for a convertible. :thumbsup:

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I swear for about 2-3 months I went to Target several times a week and played with the True Fit. I kept hearing lots of good things about it, but for some reason (and I can't even pinpoint it) I couldn't get on board. It eventually grew on me though, and I'm seriously considering a ARB version when they come out to keep DS2 RF to 35lbs. There are still a few quirks that I don't like, but overall I like it much more than I did in the beginning.

Niea

I don't like it either. But granted, I don't actually own one so my opinion isn't the most informed either, but I doubt I'd buy one unless I was in a real bind.

I'm sure it's a fine seat. It looks comfortable and it seems to fit a lot of kids well. I think it's incredibly ugly, though. I like the idea of the removable headrest, but don't care for it in practice. 22lbs is such a ridiculously low weight to have to add the headrest, when the whole point of it being removable is so that it fits better RFing. My DS was 22lbs at 6 mos, so it would have done nothing for me. If there was no weight limit for using it without the headrest, I think I would have found it much more useful.

For me, anyway, the TF might be cheaper than Britax seats, but there's not enough there for me to want to choose it. In other words, it's worth it to me to spend an extra $50 to buy a Britax. I'm a Britax snob, I admit it and make no apologies. I've purchased and used other seats and have found them all lacking. Even the Nautilus, which everyone seems to love, is only tolerable to me. DD dislikes it too, so thankfully it only sees occasional use. I guess I'm just the odd one out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC