Question Insurance?

PinkSander

I quoted a couple of the cars I'm looking at for insurance, and was wondering for a 06 with 0 millage Buick Renezvous does $320-$380 a month sound about right? Or does that sound like a lot? My mom has always had PLPD on her car, the lowest possible. I was quoted with Pregressive.

ADS

Melanie

It's really hard to compare what other people are paying since so many factors go into insurance rates. Your age, your driving record (tickets/accidents), where you live, the vehicle itself, how much you drive and certain aspects of your credit. Then there are the coverage options. Liability limits, comprehensive & collision deductibles, medical coverage, emergency roadside service, rental reimbursement....on & on. Oh, and the discounts you may be eligible for. Things like good student, drivers training, having children, being married, multi-line discount, multi-car discount. As you can see, those are a lot of variables.

I'd recommend you sit down with an insurance agent from a big reputable company. State Farm, Allstate or the like. Have them help you determine what coverages you need. Even if you don't have a car, you can give them one you are interested in. Their quote will list all of the coverages. Then use that quote when you are getting quotes from other companies. Make sure you are getting the exact same coverages and the same vehicle (ie: if one quote is for LX model, they all should be). That is really the only way you can make an apples to apples comparison.

I know Progressive will give you quotes for other companies, but I'd contact each company individually. I've seen quotes from them that are way off from what the actual cost would be (both higher and lower).

Do you live with a family member? If you have the same insurance company you could get a multi-car discount. The policies and payments are still kept completely separate.

Something else that may help you is a multi-line discount. Most companies will give you a discount on your car insurance if you carry another type of insurance with them. On a younger or inexperienced driver this discount may be larger than the cost of the second policy. Do you need renters insurance? A small life insurance policy is another inexpensive option.

BW1426

Almost $5000 for car insurance a year seems like an awful lot. I'd talk to some local insurance agencies and just see what they can offer. We've always found our local agencies to be cheaper than online.

And, where are you finding a 2006 vehicle without any miles :confused:

I'll update in a minute. I'm 21 and drive a 2007 Pontiac G6 and just requested a single quote on my vehicle for comparison.

ETA: $138 a month for full coverage. I just used Progressive. It's likely to be cheaper elsewhere.

heathernick06

That sounds pretty high. When I was 18 I had one vehicle and my insurance was $80 a month with State Farm, although they gave me the over 25 rate because I had a child. Now I am 20 (DH is 21) and it is $200 a month with USAA for 2 vehicles, 2 drivers. DH also has 2 accidents on his record.

The rates definitely vary by age, location and driving record. Many companies also factor in your credit score.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I pay $130 a month for both dh truck ('02 Chevy Silverado) & my car ('09 Pontiac G8). We also carry 4x's the state requirement.

We use Texas Farm Bureau for both house & home. I think most states have a Farm Bureau insurance. It was a lot less then Progressive who we had been with for more then 8yrs until this past fall.

PinkSander

Almost $5000 for car insurance a year seems like an awful lot. I'd talk to some local insurance agencies and just see what they can offer. We've always found our local agencies to be cheaper than online.

And, where are you finding a 2006 vehicle without any miles :confused:

Vhix.com, I'm also looking at ex rental cars as well. I'll have to have my mom take me with her next time she goes to see her insurance agent. Because I live with her so I think I could put my car on her insurance, which is AAA.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Definitely go see an agent. We use an agent so we can get all kinds of discounts; they just can't qualify you for as many in an online quote as they will find for you in person. :)

Maggie

I second going to see an agent. That seems awful high.

DH and I have 3 fully insured cars through Progressive. We bought from a local agent though. We have an '98 Grand Cherokee, '01 Grand Caravan and a '05 Montana. I just got something in the mail, we pay $386 every 6 months for all 3.

Through the local agent we were able to get multiple discounts. We get the 5+ year accident free, continuous pay (no lapse in coverage), pay full amount and homeowners insurance discounts. We switched our homeowners and got a discount on both home and auto insurance.

clmchrissy

That does seem a bit high, even if someone had bad credit & driving record. Definately talk to an agent. I have Geico & found them to be one of the cheapest. Also, Michigan is one of the most expensive states for insurance.

orangemnms

We pay about 450 twice yearly on each of our cars. DH is 33, I am 30, and the cars are 2006 Dodge Ram, 2005 Ody, and a 2004 Civic Hybrid. Neither of us has ever had an accident and we have 700+ credit though, I am pretty sure they factor those things in.

Dillipop

It will depend on where you live, too. We moved 10 miles away last year and our rates went up a couple hundred dollars for 6 months. I guess the liklihood of theft/ damage is higher where we live now than at our last place.

Melizerd

This is your first vehicle too right? You often get charged more the first year you have insurance since you're a higher risk because of that. It's dumb.

Also remember the newer the car the higher the insurance on it because it would cost them more replace/fix it.

Mommypooh

wow I am amazed at what some of you are paying.

We have a 91 astro and a 99 grand caravan and renters insurance and we pay $88 a month for it. The GC has full coverage and the astro is liability only.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I just asked my husband, and we pay $1500 a year for insurance on our 03 Corolla. We have full coverage, rental coverage, a pretty low deductible, etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC