When do take a 37lb kid out Cargo

Mom2nj

So DS1 is in a Cargo in my SIL van. He is 37~38 lbs, when do I take him out of the Cargo and into something else. All my other seats are HW seats and I have never had a kid push the limit in the seat, and quite honestly I am not really comfortable with him that close to the limit... So when do you remove your almost 40lb child out of the 40lb weight limit seat? I haven't decided what I am going to put him in, I will have to buy another seat, but not sure what. He hasn't gained weight in guite some time. He turned 4 in November.

ADS

christineka

I've been told by a cpst that if a car seat harnesses to 40 pounds, then you can go to 40 pounds.

My 3 kids have been taken out of the cargo when they stood on the scale fully clothed and shoed and weighed 40.5 pounds.

Of course, I had not heard of high weight harnessing seats at that time. They went from the cargo harnessed to the cargo as booster.

Now if I had to make the choice, I'd probably go with 39.5 pounds.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd not worry a bit about using it to the full 40 pounds as long as the shoulders aren't creeping above the top slots. And if it's top tethered, I'd be doubly-un-worried (the seat is certified in Canada to 48 pounds with the top tether...not that I'd go that long against the labeling here, but it's reassurance that it's not going to fail at 41 pounds if it's top tethered).

:)

MustangMama

I just went through this same exact scenario! :thumbsup:

DD was 37 and then 38 and then I quit weighing her for a few weeks while our Nautilus was on order.

She JUST turned 40lbs at the doctor last Friday so it took her quite a while to get from 38 to 40. I think we got her seat in September, so about 5 months :thumbsup:

But yeah, I freaked out when she hit 38. HEY! Kids can have some major growth spurts!! :whistle: Just not mine!

ETA: We had a CarGo too! Loved it and was sad to see it part =(

Last edited:

Mom2nj

He is 37lbs almost 38 clothed, no boots or jacket for the car. The seat is not top tethered, I can probably do that. He has been 37lbs for months, he is not a fast gainer, has maybe gained a 1lb in the past 6 months.... We call him part of the rib cage gang with his cousins. It just worries me some...

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'd not worry a bit about using it to the full 40 pounds as long as the shoulders aren't creeping above the top slots. And if it's top tethered, I'd be doubly-un-worried (the seat is certified in Canada to 48 pounds with the top tether...not that I'd go that long against the labeling here, but it's reassurance that it's not going to fail at 41 pounds if it's top tethered).

:)

:thumbsup:
for this *particular* seat, since we know it passes at 48 pounds a few miles to the north, and since my ( admittedly basic and simple) understanding of physics allows me to understand that what this exact same seat does up there , it will do down here, I would be absolutely fine recommending and using it to a full 40 pounds. And to be honest, personally, not that I would recommend it to anyone else, but personally, if I were in a situation with no better option, I'd probably be okay using it to the full 48 pounds.

tjham

My granddaughter was 39 1/2 lbs for almost a year! :eek:
And she still fit in the Cargo under the top slot. I really love that seat (but NOT as a booster).
Now her 3 1/2 yr old cousin is using it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC