3 car seats across in BMW 3-series wagon

deliciousbaby

Does anyone have any experience fitting 3 car seats in the back seat of a 3-series wagon? When my baby is born I will have a 4 year old & a 2.5 year old (both FF)

We have two radian car seats & a Graco snugride, but we're willing to buy new seats to make this work (so much cheaper than replacing the car!)

Thanks!
Debbie Dubrow

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

capeKO71

That's tough because the BMW has the bucket seats...

Have you tried Radian/Snugride/Radian? Did you try that configuration without the base to the snugride?

deliciousbaby

I did try Radian/Snugride/Radian (using latch for the two radians) and there just wasn't enough room. Now I'm thinking that I might try using the seatbelts instead because the positioning is a little different in that scenario... that might free up enough space to make this work.

Is there an infant seat that is less wide than the Snugride? Or are they all about the same?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The BabyTrend FlexLoc is extremely narrow.

It's about 12.5 at the narrowest point, 14-ish across most of the front (part that goes toward the seat bight), and 16.25 at the widest point (which is the handles.) That's WITH the base. :thumbsup:

Y

yippity

Hi all,
I am also in exactly the same situation (with the same car). I currently have two Britax (Roemer) Kings and we have just had a new addition. So would like to see if you had any luck with the Radians with seatbelts. From my research so far, it seems like Radians are the next best solution to getting a new car (which is really not an option). Do you think eventually you would be able to fit 3 Radians in the back?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It's also worth noting that the Radian80 is likely to be outgrown by height before a child reaches the 80 lb. weight limit and before passing the 5-step test to forgo using a belt positioning booster seat in the car.

Maedze

Try this model -
http://www.skjp.com/products/Radian/80/

Goes up to 80 lbs too, so you won't have to buy a special booster seat. It has a steel frame and is one of the safest out there.

This is a good seat (and the same one the OP has). However, it is not true that a child will not need a booster seat after outgrowing it. Most kids will outgrow the Radian as a harnessed seat by around 6 years. However, boosters are needed for most children till about 10-12 years.

U

Unregistered

Any updates on this. We have two 3 series BMW and we are thinking of having a third child. Any help regarding this would be much appreciated.

Jeff

D

DNG

Likewise, I'm looking for three boosters across (five year old triplets) in a 3 series. Backless boosters preferred as rarely use, just need as back-up. Would love to hear if any solutions were found.

-Nate

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC