Question Evenflo Tribute Vs. Evenflo Titan Vs. Safety 1st Avenue Vs. Cosco Scenera

PJMama

I'm looking for an affordable (preferably under $100) convertible carseat for my 9 month old baby. I would like to rear face him until he is around 35 pounds. When it is time to turn him forward facing I plan to buy the Graco Nautilus or another higher harness weight seat. My baby rides in 2 cars. A 1996 Chevy Lumina and a 2003 Toyota Camry. I bought a Safety 1st Uptown (for $65) at a discount store. I installed it rear facing with the latch in the Camry but it was loose and I couldn't even touch the harness adjuster because it is way too low and hits against the seat. I am going to try it in the Lumina but it may not work in there either. Would you recommend the Tribute, Titan, Avenue, or Scenera? Do you have any other ideas for a good affordable carseat? I have looked at the True Fit too but I really can't afford it. What do you think?

ADS

firemomof3

The scenera & avenue are going to give you the same trouble with the harness adjustor when rf. I find the avenue to be the worst...even though I have an avenue and like it. There is definitly a learning curve, I had to take some time to "play" with the avenue. The adjustor is still a pain, but at least now I am comfortable with it.
I don't know much about the tribute or titan so I'm not much help there.

mominabigtruck

I would never buy the tribute, it's just not worth it, however I do like the titan. It is a relatively cheap seat, it will get most kids to 35lbs rfing, plus it is loads easier to install then a scenera because it has a little flippy plate for rfing installations and is lined with eps foam. And if you're planning already on getting something else when this is outgrown then you're all set.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Avenue is much taller than the rest of those, but the adjuster IS a bugaboo on it. Fortunately it has a 'continuous loop' harness, which means you can kind of tug one lap strap to make it looser on one side so you can buckle it up, and never have to reach the adjuster at all as long as your kid is always wearing the same thickness of clothing.
I can't begin to imagine any of MY kids making it to 35 pounds in the Titan, since they don't hit that weight till age 4 and are way too tall for that seat even forward facing by then... a chunkier monkey might make it, though, and it's not a bad seat... the top slots on the Avenue are at least an inch taller so it will last 6-12 months more or longer than the Titan, too (again, for a thinner child, since the weight limit is 40 pounds versus 50 for the Titan, though the Titan is a pretty small seat and an average 50 pound kid is age 7).

PS... do you have a rolled towel or pool noodle or carseat leveler noodle under your Uptown? That can make the adjuster a bit easier to reach, but you can also try that trick of pulling the lapstrap longer to make buckling easier. The Avenue is exactly the same seat.

abacus2

I know it's a little over your budget, but would you consider an Evenflo Triumph Advance? It's on sale for $119 at Target this week. It should easily last the 35lbs RFing and it's usually easier to install than the other seats you're considering. Also, depending on how your child grows, it may last to booster age so that you would need one Nautilus when the Uptown is outgrown, but just a HBB when the Triumph is outgrown.

Andie

I had a Tribute, and it was a pain in the butt rear facing. You couldn't adjust the harness easily, and it only has a 30 lb rear facing limit, with a short shell. I wouldn't recommend it.

I am not sure on the Titan, never really looked at it before.

I have a Scenera and a Uptown(the seat that was before the Avenue, but essentially the same). I love both these seats, but I love the Uptown more. It's taller than the Scenera by about a inch-I can see it lasting my small 13 month old to at least 3 rear facing, maybe longer. The Scenera's adjuster strap is pretty easy to use in my experience. The Uptown/Avenue does have a tricky adjuster strap, but I reach behind the seat and pull it tight there as I pull the strap and it works well, it would not keep me from buying this seat again.

mominabigtruck

Peyton would've made it to 35lbs in the titan rfing and that's with his hugely long torso. Of course he was only 2 but then he'd outgrown all rfing seats by then so it didn't matter. Dallas made it to 40lbs in the old titan but then he has almost no torso:rolleyes:

christineka

If you plan to buy the nautilus for forward facing, I see no reason at all to invest in the ETA. The ETA is great for rear-facing and harnessing an extended period of time forward facing. Why pay for all that extra harnessing when you are just going to buy another seat to replace it???

I'd choose scenera or avenue. The avenue is one inch taller than the scenera. It might make a rfing difference if you have a tall torsoed kid. If you have a short torsoed one, the scenera will be fine.

I have a tribute and like it. I find it easy to install and easy to use, but my kids are teeny. My 4 year old has only just outgrown it rear-facing. The average kid won't last so long in it however. (Maybe age 2?)

The Titan is more of a deluxe scenera. It is easier to install and has eps foam.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have three convertibles right now (I sadly returned my TrueFit, so I am down to three)- a Boulevard, a Scenera, and an Avenue. The Avenue is my favorite.

Yes, the harness adjuster is a pain, but I don't really loosen the harness.

lnwn

i had to return my truefit also. the harness adjuster was too hard to get to... that is putting it kindly... it was truly a badfit! and a big PITA! but i really really loved that seat. so deep and the fabric was so soft.

i need to replace it with a deep seat. would the EFTA be a good choice? or what about the boulevard?

Pixels

If you get the EFTA now, you likely wouldn't need to buy a Nautilus as a HWH seat, since the EFTA does that. You could get the EFTA and then a dedicated booster (which tend to make better boosters anyway) when the time comes.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well...if I'm remembering correctly, I think the OP actually went out and got a truefit, no?
but in case I'm wrong, I seond the recommendations..the EFTA for $109 right now is a great deal, and will last a long time.
*IF* you were going to get a nauti anyway, and just needed a seat to be a good RFing seat to the 35 lb limit, I'd get an older 40 lb alpha omega elite. They make aewsome rf seta, just crappy ffing and awful boosters...but you can get them for $80-99 and they are great for Rfing..the harness adjuster is nicely placed, not buried, which is convenient.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC