Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

short seat belt attachment and HBB

I currently have my son harnessed in a GN. I have a '03 Corolla. The seat belts come out of the top of the seat, not higher up on the side of the car. I just noticed today that in the highest harness position, the seat belt guide is even with where the seat belt comes out. When I moved the headrest up one more (highest position), the seat belt will actually be below the guide. Will it be ok to use as a HBB if the seat belt has to go up to go through the seat belt guide (hopefully that makes sense)? Will I have to skip right to LBB?
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Re: short seat belt attachment and HBB

Well, the belt guide is supposed to be right above his shoulder. Putting him in a LBB will still have the seat belt going upwards over his shoulder anyway. ( I presume they have tested the system with an adult sized dummy, which would have the same thing going on)

While I can see that the plastic of the belt guide will add an extra inch or so of slack to the belt if it should break, it can also make a difference between the seat belt staying on his shoulder or sliding off as he moves, sleeps, etc. The HBB will also provide more side impact protection than a LBB and prevent wiggles better than a LBB.

It's a parental decision really, and a toss up as to which risks you are willing to take. Having the same situation in one seating position in my car, I have chosen to use the HBB for my kid that falls asleep 10 mins into most car rides.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~