aap car safety seats guideline

sopapia

i recently noticed that AAP changed their guidelines regarding carseats b/c i was looking it up to send to my friends. it's great! they finally did something. when i was younger, there were no carseats. however, i can't help but smile and laugh b/c i would have still be in a booster in HS according to their height and weight requirement if it weren't for the age statement. i graduated HS weighing 85 lbs and was around 5'1" so i probably would still fit in a booster in HS. :rolleyes:

Infants Infant seats and rear-facing convertible seats
All infants younger than 1 year and who weigh less than 20 pounds should always ride rear-facing.
Toddlers/Preschoolers

Convertible seats Children 1 year of age and at least 20 pounds can ride forward-facing. It is best to ride rear-facing as long as possible.
School-aged children Booster seats Booster seats are for older children who have outgrown their forward-facing car safety seats. Children should stay in a booster seat until adult belts fit correctly (usually when a child reaches about 4' 9" in height and is between 8 and 12 years of age).

Older children Seat belts Children who have outgrown their booster seats should ride in a lap and shoulder belt in the back seat until 13 years of age.

ADS

zeo2ski

The AAP changed that a while ago, I just wish they would emphasize it more!

It's a fine line regarding what you said about needing a booster in HS. The age "8-12" they put there does not actually read as a recommendation but simply a this-is-when-it-usually-happens regarding properly fitting the adult seat belt which is actually what they are recommending. I doubt there are too many HSers out there who would sit in a booster, no matter their size, but age does not make an adult belt fit properly, size does. Maybe someday we'll see a redesign in the seat belts that will allow them to fit properly.

There's a poster on here whose adult sister was recently in an accident in which she sustained injuries because of not fitting the adult belt properly that have left her afraid to drive again. The poster was thinking she may consider using a NBB to get a safe fit of the belt.

Does it mean we should make tiny 14 year olds sit in boosters? It's a tough call...but the fact is it's size, not age that makes a difference.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC