Question Well...What would you do? I need some guidance. Sell the MA and get a True Fit?

Okay so....As most of you know I bought a Marathon for Evan a few months ago. He isnt using right now and he really only used it for about 2 weeks at most. He seemed to have more leg room in his SS1. So he is in that seat again becuase of that. I think the MA makes for a better ffing sea that rfing IMO. Evan is more happier in the SS1.
So I took him last weekend and ran into a true fit. I have seen them many times before. I sat him in it and was amazed at how big and roomier the seat was compared to the MA. Its really not that much of a price diffrence between the TF and the MA though. However I am thinking just because I really do want to keep him rfing longer and maybe the TF would give him more leg room than the MA has? So how many of you leaned toward the TF rather than the MA? And why?
I currently have the MA listed on my local craigslist and I am getting bites on this seat. Emails. Lots of them!! But I am still a bit hesitate to get rid of it...Can you please help me decide? Sell me on one or the other? :D
Thanks!

Amanda

ADS

momto2princes

I don't know. My youngest is still RF in his Marathon. He will be 3 in April 28lbs, 37.75" and a 14" torso. He fits in it just fine without complaint. I love the Marathon. It is comfy (my oldest will be 6 in a few weeks and still fits in his and loves his seat), easy to install.

I would say you can't go wrong with either seat. Which ever one gives you the better install. Since you already have the Marathon I would go that route first before buying another seat.

fyrfightermomma

I have been in your shoes. I have a very leggy 3.5 year old who is just a hair above 25 lbs. Obviously I didn't want to turn her FFing because of her weight, but the kid is gigantic.

We did sell our MA to get a TF. However because of her low tone issues it wasn't a great seat for her. I LOVED it for RFing though. The room is unbelievable. In fact, I am getting the new TF for my car for my younger daughter and am in the process of selling all my MA's. It's a great seat but the competition is getting much better!

So yes, I have sold my MA's for true fits and will sell them in the future for new TF's and the new Radian.

You get a taller kid, that extra leg room is very nice!

MOM25BOYS

I think if you can hold out with him in the SS1 a little longer I would go with one of the new ARB TF's.:) I sold my MA to get the TF to keep DS4 RF longer and offer more leg room for him. Overall the TF was just a better fit for him than the MA. Here is my thread to show you the difference the TF made over the MA for him...http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59947

zeo2ski

The major advantage of the TF over the MA IMO is the shell height. A child is VERY unlikely to outgrow the TF RFing by height before weight. I believe the ARB truefit will give even more leg room RFing, so you may want to hold out for that.

The seats are both very nice and I would sell a MA for a TF if it was the right fit for your child (and car of course). If leg room is a big concern at 12 mos, you may want to lean toward the TF, many people are very pleased with the additional leg room. However, you may want to decide if your child is concerned about the leg room or if it's just you who it bothers;)

LuvMyCharlie

I think it really just depends on your child. We got a TF last week, because even though DS still fits in the MA, his torso is 14" at 18 months old. I was just starting to get really nervous about keeping him RF past two with those measurements. He's not very long-legged, though, so leg room wasn't a big deciding factor for me. As much as I love the TF, I don't think DS does. He's constantly whining when I try to buckle him in and continues for the whole trip. I honestly believe it's because it sits so much lower than the MA, and he can't see as much out of the window. Not to say he can't see anything, he just can't see as much. Does that make sense? I am contemplating switching him back to the MA for the duration of him fitting in it RF. I'll store the TF and when the time comes that his head is within 1" of the MA's shell, we'll switch to the TF. By then, I figure he'll be tall enough to compensate for his 'vision loss.' LOL Anyway, all that to say, it just depends on the kid. The vision thing prob. won't be an issue for you if your DS is still in the SS1 and not used to seeing as much, so the TF will prob. be a good fit for you if he's needing the extra leg room that the MA doesn't provide. :) Good luck with your decision! They're both great seats.

Yeh, I thinks its more about me and how Evan looks as far as comfort goes. As far as I know he may well be just as comfy in the MA than the TF but it just "looks" like he would be comfier in the TF. I know the TF has really deep side impact wings compared to the MA. But I like how the MA sits up higher so the child can see better from the windows. I guess its all a catch 22.

Kat_Momof3

the main reason to opt for one of the ARB truefits, or even the regular ones, is the slot height... it's taller... and the headroom... WAY taller (but the seat sits nice and low so it fits really nicely).

the leg room is the perk... I say go for it... sell the MA and try to hold out for an anti-rebound bar truefit.

Yeh I like how the TF seems like it would last longer for the child and its wider, therefore more comfy, IMO. Evan is a big boy and comfort is really important to both of us. If he looks more comfy, he probably is more comfy.
I know that the TF does sit alot lower on the seat, it doesnt have the base like the MA has but he is used to it since he currently is in the SS1 and Sarah has the compass folable booster which is low as well. So he wont miss what he never had. The MA is stored in my bedroom closet right now.
So does anyone know when the new True Fit will be out in stores to check em out and buy?

MOM25BOYS

Originally we heard that it was going to be available in late Feb./ early March, but now I think it has been pushed back until April. I am not so patiently waiting....:whistle: You can pre-order on one site, but I think it is one of the not so cute covers. I am hoping to see more of a variety in covers when it hit stores like Target, Walmart, and other online retailers.:)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
IMO the MA is actually a better rf'ing seat than a ff'ing seat. I despise the HUGS and there's not much in the way of leg support as kids get longer legs. Dd also was squished in the shoulders when she was just barely needing to use the top slots. I bought a TF just to have for the 35lb rf'ing limit, and dd much preferred it over the MA so I sold the MA.

Once upon a time the MA was in a class of it's own. There are now very few circumstances where I look at a vehicle/family situation and feel that the MA is really the only appropriate seat to suggest. There are so many options now that are very nice and I'm not a believer in brand being everything. I wouldn't buy a Mercedes just because it was a Mercedes if I liked a Honda better. Honda's are nice and reliable too IYKWIM.

It's not worth keeping something trying to convince yourself you'll like it when it's not the right fit. I had such a hard time selling my MA because it was my first "nice" seat and it had a cute cover. But the longer it was stored, the more it cost me. When I finally accepted that I was losing money keeping it in storage and that I knew I would never want to use it as a regular seat, I finally sold it. Though I still miss it. Just because it was my first nice seat. :eek:

So I understand the hard to sell part, but if it's not right, it's better to just go ahead and do it and get it over with. Time is money is this case. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC