Please help me choose a booster

U

Unregistered

I'm trying to decide between the Parkway, Compass B510, and Recaro Young Style. DS is 5 yr old, 42lb, and 43" tall. How do these three compare to one another, especially in side impact protection? (I can't find the last two to compare IRL.)

The booster is for occasional use in DH's 1994 Accord (less than once a week). DH needs to be able to put the seat in the trunk when business associates ride with him (which makes the folding booster attractive). My main concern is side impact protection, and I don't want something quickly outgrown, since the seat lacks a headrest.

Thank you very much for any insight you can offer! DH is tired of waiting on me to install the MA everytime he wants to have daddy/son time!

ADS

skaterbabs

Honestly, I would go for the Parkway as it is (to the best of my knowledge) the tallest booster currently on the market. In fact, the PW has almost 5" more torso height than the Compass and Turbo Booster, which can really come in handy, espcially with a spare seat. You want to get your money's worth out of it, kwim?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'd go with the Parkway.

The folding feature on the Compass does seem appealing for those times when the seat needs to go into the trunk, but the Parkway is still low-profile enough that it should be easy to fit in the trunk of a 1994 Accord.

If your DH is only using the seat once a week, you would, as Rebekah pointed out, want to get your money's worth out of this seat. The Parkway's taller height will allow you to use it for a longer period of time.

Plus, the Parkway's SIP will be great for a car like a 1994 Accord, which I am asusming does not have side curtain airbags?

Best of luck with your purchases!:)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I soooooo wish I'd compared our RYSport highest booster position with the Parkway :(

I like Recaro best because they're the only ones with EPS/EPP type foam in the hips/torso as well as the head wings, but it's heavy & unless you have a very tall child I would use it as the primary seat with a spare Turbo for travel.

The Parkway is great though, too -- we really really like it -- so if your child is tall or you can't afford 2 boosters then the Parkway is an excellent choice! :)

U

Unregistered

Re: comparing the PW with RYS

According to one of the ladies at Car Seats and More, the RYS and Parkway only have 1/2 an inch difference in height when in the tallest position, the Parkway being slightly taller.
I too am having a hard time deciding between the two. I do like the EPS on the sidewings around the torso also. Its so hard!

U

Unregistered

We finally chose one!

I am the OP. Well, we after narrowing it down to the PW and RYStyle, DH decided on a PW. Originally, he was leaning toward the RYStyle, but then he found out that the PW is coming out in Sept. w/ collegiate covers -- decision made! He wants a University of Alabama PW. Now, I just have to wait until they are released.

Thanks for all the advice - you were a great help!
Tara

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Unregistered said:
According to one of the ladies at Car Seats and More, the RYS and Parkway only have 1/2 an inch difference in height when in the tallest position, the Parkway being slightly taller.
Do we know if this measurement is taken at the top of the headrest or at the shoulders :confused: :eek:

skaterbabs

Not sure - but I wouldn't hold your breath on getting the university PW. They've been saying they'd be out for a long time, but are having liscencing issues.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thank you Kelley!

It is very difficult to see from the picture, but the caption below is helpful -- that's the RYStyle, but our RYSport had a recline option that angled Leila so that her shoulders were slightly lower in the harness & I wonder if this would work in booster mode as well? Very interesting....

(Kicking myself for not taking to time to do all that when we had them both) *SIGH*

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC