onBoard 35

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Nice that they are going back to the higher weigh infant seat. I wonder how high the back is?

Lara

very cool!

Ok, this had me laughing. if you go to the main carseat page, where it gives you the option to choose infant, convertible, or booster seats, the baby in the picture is in an Evenflo Triumph :p

capeKO71

HA! I never noticed that.... that is wicked funny. I actually might have to email the guy I met a few months ago from safety 1st about that one.

Maedze

Wow! Of course, it doesn't seem like a realistic weight limit, but I'm very interested to hear that what appears to be a standard sized infant seat tested to 13 pounds MORE than what it was originally certified for, without any apparent readjustments.

capeKO71

Well - it's not really standard size. Most of us have been saying it should be rated for 30lbs... I'm just surprised dorel was the one to go to 35lbs. It does have a very long shell - actually a fantastic seat for NICU programs because it does fit tiny babies pretty well - and now that it goes up to 35lbs (I think this is probably more realistically going to fit babies around 28-30lbs) it's a great seat for that.

capeKO71

We had a carseat check a few months ago and one of the Dorel guys came to the actual check (dorel is a local MA company).

I was of course trying to get some info out of him on the seats. The check was at Babies R Us - and they had the new 50lb seat there. He told me that they were changing all their "alpha-omegas/3 in 1's" to the taller shell with the taller harness. So while this is an assumption without reading the manual on the new EB seats - I'm guessing it's the same as the other 50lb seats (which has 17" top slots and they are usable). Dorel realizes they are competing with seats like the triumph advanced/ nautilus/true fit/britax with taller top slots and a higher weight limit.

It's a totally different shell then the old alpha omega when you really get them next to one another.

Now they just need to change their combination boosters to have a usable harness. (not sure if that's in the game plan yet... )

Oh - and while they messed up a few months ago with their online information (It was actually me who ordered the combination seat that was stated as being 50lb weight limit only to receive it and find out it does not), I guess a bunch of people got into trouble and they now have a completely different approval process for information that gets online.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I didn't realize the back on that seat was so high. Hmmmm. Good to know. I saw a 50# 3 in 1 at Target the other day, I was thrilled! It's nice that they're now available at more places than BRU. While BRU is nice, we have a lot more people who shop at Target than BRU here.

Kat_Momof3

there are two... so they may have different heights or it may be something else that is different.

OR... and this is also possible, they are selling the same seat both ways so that it can be sold at two different prices, giving a more affordable low-weight baby option for those who need the preemie features.

capeKO71

When I spoke to the rep at cosco he was showing me the seat - he told me the were increasing the weight on the onBoard - so i think it's the same seat. I think they had that intention the whole time but it was the cost/length of testing it to the higher weight - and they just wanted to get it to the market. I didn't realize it would be such a high limit... but I did get the impression that they were simply testing the same seat to a higher weight limit.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
A plain baseless AO might actually make a great low profile choice for traveling and such...I find the bar on the back darn near impossible to depress to actually get the harness to change heights, though, I wish it were slightly higher quality in that regard...but otherwise, it's not bad, and the extra harness height and weight are a nice feature. We've had the 50lb AO/E's at BRU for some time, and yeah, it's really hard to sell the old EB's and Alpha Luxes that only go to 40lbs, considering the better seats are only about $10 more! sheesh, it's like Cosco-city in our CR department lately, there's like 6 models to choose from, lol.

WISH the Summit would get with the new program, though :/.

Kat_Momof3

When I spoke to the rep at cosco he was showing me the seat - he told me the were increasing the weight on the onBoard - so i think it's the same seat. I think they had that intention the whole time but it was the cost/length of testing it to the higher weight - and they just wanted to get it to the market. I didn't realize it would be such a high limit... but I did get the impression that they were simply testing the same seat to a higher weight limit.

I think their last infant seat that went over 22lbs went to 35lbs, though (the Opus or something like that).

Honestly, I expected them to compete and bring their usual high rearfacing limit of 35lbs with them... it's their redeeming feature.

So will the 22lb ones phase out, you think??

and will the inexpensive price (for what all features are on it) be the same when the 35lb limit one hits stores?

Spam

Will they come out with more patterns/colors for the onboard, or is just going to be the same?

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I didn't realize the back on that seat was so high. Hmmmm. Good to know. I saw a 50# 3 in 1 at Target the other day, I was thrilled! It's nice that they're now available at more places than BRU. While BRU is nice, we have a lot more people who shop at Target than BRU here.

Oh wow. I'll have to check out Target. Of course I check every time I go but I've yet to see a 50 lb 3 in 1.

Does anyone have any actualy experience with the Onboard? Anyone installed one? put a baby in it? I know it's supposed to fit tiny babies well but would love to see it in action.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Does anyone have any actualy experience with the Onboard? Anyone installed one? put a baby in it? I know it's supposed to fit tiny babies well but would love to see it in action.

Yeah, DH did an install on one. I will send him a link to this thread.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Does anyone know what the height of the shell is? Is it comparable to the SS1? My kiddos are generally pretty tiny so I don't think I'd need the extra 5lbs unless the shell is significantly higher. I have a hard time imagining an infant seat being much bigger than the SS1 though, that thing seems like a beast to me (but I still love it!).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC