Question Wondering if this will work

jinmz7

My sister was in a severe car accident last summer. She has suffered severe injuries to her lower back and it has all but turned her life upside down.

She is only 4'10" and she weighs about 80#s. One of the reasons the doctors say she is having so many problems is because of her size, the seat belt was not positioned properly across her body when the other driver hit her(she was the driver of her car and was in the left turn lane at a red light and the guy coming from the opposite direction pretty much hit her straight on going 40 miles an hour instead of stopping).

This might be a crazy idea (don't laugh :eek:) but could an adult of that size use a no back booster even when driving (assuming that she could still touch the pedals of course) to make the seat belt fit properly or once a person is old enough is the idea that even if they are small they should know how to position the seat belt properly on themselves?

I would really love to offer her some suggestion to help her feel a little better about driving in a car again because now she is totally paranoid that the seat belt doesn't fit her properly (among other things I'm sure). Thanks!

ADS

Pixels

Boosters have weight limits, not age limits. If the booster helps the seatbelt fit her properly, I'm all for her using it, even if she gains weight and goes a bit over the limit. :thumbsup:

Oh, and if she needs them, there are pedal extenders. They are made for little people and other people who need a little help to reach the pedals.

Last edited:

skaterbabs

Boosters have weight limits, not age limits. If the booster helps the seatbelt fit her properly, I'm all for her using it, even if she gains weight and goes a bit over the limit. :thumbsup:

Oh, and if she needs them, there are pedal extenders. They are made for little people and other people who need a little help to reach the pedals.

I agree. I would absolutely suggest a backless booster for her, there are several with 100 lb limits so even a slight weight gain wouldn't be a big deal.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I've looked into this for my mom (and the Clek olli since it goes to a higher weight limit now), and the problem we found that she wouldn't be able to reach the pedals - either needing pedal extenders or a vehicle that can reset for different drives (don't lincolns do that?). Pedal extenders aren't an option for my mom since my step-dad also drives the car, but might be OK if your sister is the primary driver.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are even boosters that go up to 120 (all the Clek ones do now.) And, if she couldn't reach the pedals, there are pedal extenders she can get (like Little People use.)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I agree a low back booster would be ideal for her. Have her look at the Clek Oto but she would have to import from Canada. The reason I say the Oto is purely do to appearance and so it doesn't "look" like a booster.

Also some vehicle come equipped with adjustable pedals but also extensions can be easily added too.

Maedze

No, absolutely not. These would be just as deadly for an adult as a child. Do you see how the 'adjuster' puts tension from the shoulder to the lap? It causes the lap portion of the belt to be pulled UP, creating seatbelt syndrome in an impact. These should never, ever be used by ANYONE.

You shouldn't feel bad for making a recommendation at all :). I just want to make sure that no one thinks this is a safe option.

OP, a booster would be ideal for your sister's situation. I'm sad to hear she was so badly injured :( I would consider an Eddie Bauer Prospect backless, which is wide and comfortable, a Clek Olli, or a backless Sunshine Kids' Monterey, all of which have the depth or shape to accomodate adult leg support :thumbsup:

jinmz7

Wow! This is great news! Thank you so much for all of your suggestions I'm so excited to maybe be able to help her in some way! If she has any questions about it I know where to come!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC