Want to critique me? Car Seat Checks

Jan06twinmom

I've been putting together information about car seats for my twin club and realized that I could use this opportunity to tell them about car seat checks - what to expect, what to take, where to go, etc. I'm going to copy and paste the information I put together below.

Please let me know if I am missing something important, have incorrect information or if you see a typo.

Thanks!

--Melanie

What is the purpose of a car seat check?
The purpose of a car seat check is to make sure that you know to properly install and use your car seat. At car seat safety checks conducted by Safe Kids Central Valley, at least 90% of the inspected car seats were being used improperly. The Certified Passenger Safety Technician (CPST) will do the car seat check and educate you so that your children are safe when they are in a vehicle.

What is a Certified Passenger Safety Technician?
A Certified Passenger Safety Technician is the person who does the car seat checks – and often does much more. The Child Passenger Safety Technician Certification process requires completing the weeklong course created by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). During this training, the individual must attend the entire course as well as pass written examinations and performance evaluations to become certified.

What happens at a car seat check?
The CPST will check how your children and car seats fit in the car. If your children are present, the tech will look at how you have the children in their car seat – harness tightness, harness placement, chest clip placement, and so on. The tech will have you take the children out of the car seat to check how you have the car seat installed. The CPST will uninstall your car seat so that he or she can check for any problems with the car seat including whether the seat has expired or been recalled. Then the CPST will teach you how to install the car seat in your car, correcting any mistakes that you made when you originally installed the car seat. If your car seat is difficult to install, the CPST might install the seat first and then teach you how to do the install properly by yourself. You should be the last person to install the car seat so that the tech knows you will be able to install your seat properly in the future. You will also be asked to fill out paperwork as part of the process.

During the car seat check, the CPST will share information with you about car seat safety. Some of this information will be about any installation mistakes you made or concerns related to the car seat, but some of the information will be to help you know about how to use your car seat properly. If you have any questions about car seats, make sure to ask the tech during the check.

How much time will a car seat check take?
Allow approximately 30 minutes per car seat. With twins, expect to spend an hour or longer at the car seat check.

Should I bring my children to the car seat check?
Ideally, you should bring your car seat to a check so that the tech can make sure the car seat is appropriate for your child’s age and size, that the seat properly fits the child, and can show you how to properly position and tighten the car seat on your child. If you are bringing your children, schedule the check at a time when they usually are well-rested, fed and generally in a good mood.

If you are doing the car seat check before your babies are born, the tech will go over information about how to properly position your babies in the car seats when they arrive. If you have questions about how the babies are fitting in the seat when they arrive, you should follow up with the tech after the babies are born.

If your children do not come to the car seat check, it would be helpful to know your child’s measurements and how your child fits in the seat. With a larger child who might be outgrowing the seat soon, it would be helpful to identify the top of the child’s shoulders and head hit the seat, which you can mark with a small piece of tape or a pin.

What else should I bring to the car seat check?
In addition to your car seats, you should bring the car seat manual and your vehicle manual. The vehicle manual is extremely helpful if there are questions about LATCH or what the vehicle manufacturer allows with car seat installations.

If you take your babies and/or children to the car seat check, it would be extremely helpful to have another adult present to help with the children so you can concentrate on what you are learning from the tech. If you have babies or toddlers, you will need your stroller for the babies to sit in while you are working with the car seats. Also, bring items for your children that will keep them entertained and happy – some toys, coloring books, etc. Make sure to bring drinks and snacks for your children and for yourself.

What is the cost for having my car seats checked?
Many car seat checks are free – both at public events and private car seat checks. When you call to find out about a car seat check or to schedule an appointment with a CPST, ask if there is a charge for the check up.

How can I find out about car seat check events?
Car seat check events are sometimes advertised in the newspaper or at the location where they will take place. There are also a couple of online resources to look for upcoming events including the Safekids Central Valley (http://www.safekids-centralvalley.org/) and California Car Seat Check Up Events list (http://www.safekidsweb.org/events/events.asp?status=1&pb=1&state=CACalifornia.)

How can I schedule a private car seat check?
Many organizations and businesses provide free car seat checks conducted by a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician. The table below includes information about who to contact in the Fresno and Clovis areas to schedule an appointment.

You can find additional resources in your area using the National CPS Certification Website. (https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbza...tegory1=TAB9_CERTSEARCH&Webid=safekidscertSQL) If you type in your city and state, you will see more options than if you only include your zip code.

(Table included with local techs, contact information, and when checks are usually scheduled.)

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Also include something about how the check will be most effective if they have read the car seat manual, the section of the vehicle manual regarding child restraints, and have attempted to install the seat them selves. This gives the tech the chance to evaluate what the parent already knows and customize the lesson.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Very well done! It's nice of you to put that information together for your mom's group - especially since most moms of multiples probably don't have a lot of spare time to research it for themselves!

The only thing that caught my eye was the interchanging use of "CPST" and "tech". Since you establish right away what CPST means, I would stick with that term throughout. People may get confused and ask questions like "what's the difference between a CPST and a tech?"

Ooh, also - the first sentence "The purpose of a car seat check is to make sure that you know **how** to properly install and use your car seat." (bolded correction mine).

Again, nice work and I'm sure your twins club mamas will appreciate it!

zeo2ski

"If your children do not come to the car seat check, it would be helpful to know your child’s measurements and how your child fits in the seat. With a larger child who might be outgrowing the seat soon, it would be helpful to identify[where] the top of the child’s shoulders and head hit the seat, which you can mark with a small piece of tape or a pin. "

Your list is great, I can see it REALLY helping parents out--with both encouraging them to go and making it through the check with little ones!

Jan06twinmom

Thank you so much for the feedback. I made the suggested changes and added a section which I'll copy below. If anyone else has some suggestions, please let me know.

What should I do before I go to a car seat check?
Make plans to attend a public car seat check or call to schedule an appointment for a private car seat check. Read your car seat manual and the section in your vehicle manual about car seat installations. Write down any questions you have or mark the parts of these manuals that you have questions about. Also, install your car seat before you go to the check even if you will not be transporting your children in the car seats. This will allow the CPST to evaluate what you already know about installing the car seats and what you need to learn.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC