Guilty of poor teaching

B

bucket2

I met up with some friends last night and hung out with one of their DD's (6 mons). This same friend is one that I supposedly helped/taught to install the CR before baby was born.

The baby was hanging out in her CS when I arrived and immediately noticed a loose, twisted harness that was in slots above her shoulders (Oh, and it's an EB seat, with harness adjustment in the rear - ick). AND :eek: she had put the baby's legs through the loop of the harness so she was basically in a 3 pt instead of a 5 pt harness.

I rethreaded the harness and tightened it up and showed how it's supposed to look. The harness was removed because the cover needed washing.

When we left, I walked out with her and the base of the seat was turned at an angle in the car. She said, "I tighten it after I put her in." Well, the reality was, the seatbelt wasn't locked! And while it was in the center, the space between the harness and the buckle was so wide, I couldn't get the seat in tight. She remembered that center was supposed to be safest, but didn't quite get the "only if you can install it correctly," part. The car has LATCH and I quickly got a good install outboard with LATCH. She was then going to leave the handle up since "it's only 3 blocks."

Needless to say, I feel lousy. The number of misuse errors was staggering to me. I'm a teacher/she's a teacher. I know I didn't miss ALL of those details when I intially met with her (Can I blame part on hormones and pregancy forgetfulness or on the "fact" that teachers make lousy students?).

The good news is, she was receptive (not defensive) and eager/willing to learn. We're already talking about going shopping for a MA shortly as DD is about 18 lbs. and the seat is only good to 22. Also, they are leaving for vacation - driving to CO so at least now the little one is riding in a seat I feel confident about.

ADS

Kellyr2

At least she's willing to learn! Maybe with little reminders here and there, it'll all finally start to sink in. I'm sure that's frustrating, though!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Don't beat yourself up about it! I'm sure you tried. Plus, it sounds like she is willing to learn to use the seat correctly. You are making progress! :)

I have made a lousy teacher too, when it comes to carseats. Apparently some of my messages have gotten through (tight harness, harness below shoulders for RF, chest clip at armpit level, base or seat tightly installed, use Britax seats), but some messages have DEFINITELY NOT gotten though (using aftermarket products like the Mighty Tite, using a RA WAY past the height limit, turning FF at one year of age, using a thick towel under the carseats). It is discouraging isn't it? I want to cry everytime I see a carseat misused by someone I tried to teach. :(

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
It sounds like you made a good attempt, sometimes it takes more than one attempt for some ppl. I couldnt convince my SIL to keep DN RF when he turned one, she liked him FF and only turned him back b/c he threw things at her while driving. He only weighs 29 pounds but she's turned him again (she has a MA) and told me he was 33 knowing i would turn him in my car too (i have a scenera for him) She also allows my MIL to use a cosco booster (a true booster seat not a combo!) she bought from another grandma she works with, the child is 18 months old!!! Scary. I havent brought it up yet as i think she must know thats wrong and i've had too much to deal with without adding another car seat war but i will very very soon as i now know she does use it (Before i had just known it sat in the spare bedroom with the infant seats she got from the same woman but sure enough they were discussing MIL picking up DN at daycare and i know she doesnt have another seat)

What seat is it? She may be able to leave the handle up. Why are so many ppl against putting down the handle, is it that back to push two buttons and rotate your wrists???

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC