Is the Graco Cargo approved for Airline Flight?

Yoshi

1. I was just wondering if anyone knows if the Graco cargo is approved for airline use? - I can't find any info and this - (their website is a PITA) This is in case we go to FL in October and I think the Cargo would sit lower on the seat and is narrower than the Decathlon we have. No sticker as far as I can find...:(

2. Or has anyone used a Decathlon on a plane ok??? I've heard that they sit way too high and will ineveitably kick the back of the seat in front. (I know my dd will, she's a handful!:eek: ) Also issues with the buckle on seatbelt being hard to undo???

New to flying w/kids, since my teenage son was 10 on his first flight, and now dd is 3, and we have never flown with her. If we do go, I'll be sure to get tips from Wendy Thomas who seems to fly everywhere with her dd!!:)
Thanks!

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I believe the CarGo is approved for use on a plane (in harnessed mode only obviously, lol). I've heard the plane's seatbelt buckle tends to end up directly behind the child's back in the CarGo making it pretty uncomfortable. I've also heard of the plane's seatbelt getting caught in the belt path on the Marathon so it may be the case for the Decathlon on a plane as well. Wendy probably has some pointers for you. I think she mainly uses her Radian for plane travel.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If you have a Cargo, there's a sticker on the side with one tiny row of red lettering, one sentence, that says "this seat is approved for vehicle and aircraft use" (paraphrased)...that's it, very small.

:)

B

bucket2

I've only flown with a CR once (4 planes) and installing the MA was a PITB until I remember the seat belt extension. Use one and install "issues" are eliminated.

The basic problem is that the seat belt buckle ends up in the middle of the CR, so it is hard to buckle and then, because the latch has to lift up, it's a bear to unbuckle (there's not enough room).

The extension means that you don't have to deal with the buckle that is in the middle back other than to thread it through.

Yoshi

Thanks to all...I do have a new Cargo for a spare , so I will check for the sentence on the label- it must be very small! Yes, it would be in harness mode, b/c she's 35 lbs. Is a seatbelt exension something the airline has available? Do you ask for one from the crew?

B

bucket2

Yes, the flight attendent will gladly give you one if you ask. (They're for people too big for the seat belt to go around). Especially since they probably know you will be much faster getting settled if you use one.

FYI - seats that need to be tethered or require lap/shoulder belt (BB) are not approved for aircraft (planes don't have tether anchors or lap/shoulder belts. The higher weight limit seats (Regent) since they are too wide for the plane seat. The Evenflos, Coscos, Gracos are all approved for planes.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
FWIW, my daughter rode more comfortably RF in her Wizard on the airplane from NY to FL -- Britax told me that it's OK to use RF on the plane (NOT in the vehicle as the issue with flight is turbulence, not crash dynamics) slightly past the limits ... this was easier for me to buckle in & she could only kick her own seat that way :rolleyes: :eek:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
That's a great idea! That way she can only kick her own seat! Smart!

As much as I love kids, one of my most frustrating plane experiences was with a kid who kicked my seat for the entire 4+ hour flight. He was probably about three or four years old and was sitting in his installed carseat right behind me. Not only did he kick my seat the entire time, he KICKED my seat, as if he was learning to become the next David Beckham or something. I tried to get the parents' attention so they could ask him to stop kicking my seat, but they were pretty clueless. First I turned around and caught the father's eye then glanced over at the child. Then, I turned around and caught father's eye and cleared my throat as I glanced over at the child. Then I turned around and politely said something to the parents about the kicking. They had one of those "oh. huh." kind of reactions. It didn't help. Their kid kept kicking my seat.

I like the idea of RF so the child can only kick his/her own seat! :)

B

bucket2

I had unaccompanied school age siblings behind me on a flight from DC to LA. They were really goin' at each other and my seat. I turned around and told them I would have the flight attendant separate them if they didn't settle down. They said, "You can't do that." To which my response was, "Make a bet?" Much better after that.

More annoying was a family: male, female, 3 yr old and toddler. No toys, no sippies, no munchies. Mom pretended to sleep. Toddler screamed. 3 yr old played with the inflight phone and torn up the magazine, dad was oblivious.

2 cheap and easy distractors I've loaned to desperate parents: Travel Yahtzee makes great noises even if you don't "play" the game and while the noises are annoying, it not nearly as bad as the toddler whose had it. Post it notes come in many colors and can stick to everything: windows, noses, tray tables, themselves - most kids enjoy "hide n seek" and there's also their facination with any kind of TAPE.

PS - my Gracos all have the "approved for. . ." statement in RED.

Yoshi

Yeah but if your child is kicking their own seat, it's also someone else's tray which means their computer, or drink, or whatever is going to get jostled around- alot. My child screams like crazy if I tell her NOT to do something, so I know saying, "Honey, please don't kick the seat" wouldn't work. It sounds liek I am a very permissive mom, but she defies all parenting techniques published or otherwise! That is one reason why we haven't flown with her anywhere, I'd be so worried about the whole confinement issue. My son was the exact opposite. I prided myself on how well he behaved publicly, with just gentle reminders and praise....She is quite something else, this one. I think if she's FF, and her legs are down low, like normal seat level, there will be less to kick!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We've had Piper both RFing and FFing in her Wizard. RFing was easier, though we had some attendants tell us she couldn't because the seat in front of her couldn't recline. Tough. You don't buy a reclining seat, there are several on board that don't recline, child seat or not.

FFing we had a huge problem installing the seat, or rather, uninstalling it. I never tried an extender, I just use the Radian now.

Get a luggage trolley or gogo kidz for the seat. That way your child can ride in the seat in the airport. The gogo kidz stay on the seat even while the seat is installed.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC