Question Newborn & 4 year old - Marathon & ....?

U

Unregistered

My almost 4 year old has been in his Britax Marathon since birth. My second baby is due in about a month and I need to get a second car seat. My plan was to move my almost 4 year old out of the Marathon and into either a Britax Frontier or a Graco Nautilus. My newborn can then ride in the Marathon (rear facing of course). I know most people don't choose the Marathon as a baby seat but it worked well for us. I don't mind having a baseless car seat as I don't carry my children around in their car seat anyway.
Does anyone have any thoughts/advice/comments on my plan - particularly from a safety point of view?
Thank you so much!

ADS

momto2princes

From a safety POV I wouldn't put an infant in the Marathon. I know you mentioned it worked well for your older child and when the new baby arrives I guess if he/she fits that will be your call. I would get an infant seat such as the Graco Safeseat for the new baby regardless weather you carry around the seat or leave it in the car doesn't matter.

How big is the 4 year old? How much long do you think he will last in the Marathon? If he isn't outgrowing it in short order I would leave him in it until such time that he actually requires a new seat. If he is like my oldest it could be awhile. My oldest will be 6 in few weeks and still has lots of room in his Marathon.

Re-evaluate when baby outgrows the infant seat or your older one outgrows his Marathon. Chances are that the Marathon will be close to expiring when the older one outgrows it anyway.

Either of the seats you mentioned would be a great choice for your 4 year old when he needs it.

Totally just IMO. I am sure others will chime in.

bubbaray

Both my girls would have fit in the MA at birth (BIIIIIG babies), but I used the @#^#$% SnugRide that they both HATED for 4m with DD#1 and 2m with DD#2. Part of that was my @#$^ hospital that insisted that you leave with a baby in an infant car seat (never did figure out what they would have done if we said we had the MA). Part of it was "just because". It was easier for things like dr's appointments, especially with the 2nd -- b/c while I could have just carried DD#1 when she was a newborn, that got a whole lot harder when I had DD#2 and DD#1 still wanted to hold hands in the parking lot.

U

Unregistered

I just checked my Marathon seat and it has 2 years left before it expires. So my almost 4 year old will be almost 6 or my newborn will be almost 2.
My goal was to avoid buying 3 carseats...but I am not sure if that is possible...
My almost 4 year year old is a small guy...definitely under 40lbs and the Marathon I have only goes to 48lbs. This is why I thought it would be best to bump him into the Frontier or Nautilus - since they have a harness that he can use now and then eventually end up in the booster seat.
The Marathon manual says it can be used with babies larger than 5lbs....and I am CERTAIN that my baby is going to be larger than that. Then in 2 years (depending on weight) I could bump the baby into a Frontier or whatever new similar seat is on the market.
The other option that comes to mind is to put the baby in a new convertible seat - one that is better suited to newborns...but preferably one that goes to more than 48lbs.
(My spouse and I are short and thin and I suspect both kids will be that way too - and I'd like to keep them in harness seats as long as possible).

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If your 4 year old is really that small, it sounds like the Marathon might do him fine until the booster stage, correct? Which means you can purchase a suitable convertible seat for your new baby, and not worry about the Marathon being too large.

The issue with the Marathon is this--Britax had initially said yeah, 5lbs (I believe it was 5?) is the minimum. Then they decided to say that the child had to be a maximum of 1" from the bottom harness slots... For my son, way back when they said this (2004 I believe) that meant approximately 7 or 8 months old. Then more recently, Britax has been saying that the child should be at or above the harness slots when rear-facing, INCLUDING that bottom slot. I'm not sure if their most recent recommendation is completely reasonable for the convertibles that do not have infant inserts, since my kids didn't reach the bottom slots until they had long since outgrown their infant seats.

Anyways--I would recommend against using the Marathon from the newborn stage, regardless of the cited weight by Britax. The fact of the matter is that newborns do not tend to fit well in larger convertible seats, and based on what you've told us it's really not even necessary that you pass that seat along at this point. There are convertible seats that work well from birth--I believe people have had success with the Radian and the True Fit--and you will get a full life out of that seat with some smart shopping.

If you have a good newborn sized doll, or a friend's new baby to borrow, you should go look at some of the other convertible seats out there. If you want to avoid purchasing another seat, I would highly recommend getting a seat that has low harness slots initially, but higher top harness slots and high weight limits. Definitely make a note of the date of manufacture, ensuring that it is as new as possible so that you can keep your new baby harnessed as long as possible...and purchase the seat as close to your due date as possible (without going over, of course!)

-Nicole.

momto2princes

In that case I would leave your son in his Marathon until he requires a new seat. With his size he might very well get to booster age before he outgrows it. Like I said before my son is going to be six in a few weeks and still has lots of room in this.

I would look into the Radian or the True Fit (on sale starting tomorrow at Zellers) for the infant.

U

Unregistered

Thank you for the help!
I guess I will keep my boy in his Marathon and look at getting a new convertible seat for the baby. Unfortunately I live in a remote area and won't get a chance to try out any of the seats first. There is a Zellers not too far from here....any suggestions on where to buy a Radian (online most likely)?

U

Unregistered

...and one more question...I hear there is a new True Fit coming out...any word on when it might be available in Canada? Any point in waiting?

QuassEE

If you let us know what you drive, we can see if anyone has compatibility information for you for the Radian..but honestly if you cannot try before you buy--generally the True Fit is a better install.. It also has the added advantage of 35lbs RF although it can be tough to reach the adjuster strap when using it rear-facing. Your Zellers might have it in stock for you to try out.

As for new seats, in general..Usually once we hear about them coming, it's a few months or more to the US market, and then at least a few months beyond that for the Canadian market.

-Nicole.

U

Unregistered

My vehicle is a Nissan Frontier 2006. It is a quad cab and the back seat just needs to fit the 2 carseats. So space isn't an issue.
I expect my baby to arrive anytime next month so I guess I won't wait for the new True Fits. I will be birthing at home though and probably won't need a seat for a week or 2 after that.

The Britax Boulevard also looks good....I understand about the straps not being sized for newborns...but I'm really drawn to Britax! They seem to be well made seats, and I like the fact that Britax makes nothing other than carseats.

QuassEE

I'm in Vancouver, so the only "trucks" I deal with are just expensive SUVs called trucks by their owners ;) So I can't help you on the Frontier compatibility. However--I do have a Boulevard and I love it :) It's not a good newborn option, but perhaps you could borrow an infant seat from a trusted friend or family member for the first few months?

You should register for an account..."Join us".. :) That way we can send you private messages and give you reputation--all that fun stuff.. oh and your posts will show up instantly rather than going through moderation..

-Nicole.

northernmommy

I just wanted to add that you can order from Zellers online, and have it shipped to your local store, just in case it doesn't have any in stock. Where abouts are you, just out of curiosity?

U

Unregistered

I'm in the West Kootenay....very few stores to shop at around here!
I'll check out the True Fit at Zellers this week...unfortunately I don't know anyone with an infant seat...so I definitely need to buy something. I'm not sure where I can get a Radian from so I may just go with the True Fit. It seems that these are the 2 favourites?

KootenayMom

I feel so indecisive...but....
I'm having trouble getting the True Fit (I only have access to a Zellers and the only one they have in stock is almost a year old, and they are out of stock online) AND now I see the Graco Nautilus is on sale at Sears (which I have access to)....SO I am back to wondering about putting the newborn in the Marathon. How long/tall should my baby be before you feel it is safe to put them in a Marathon? The other reason I am considering this again is because my Marathon is one of the older ones that only goes to 48lbs.
Hmmm....or maybe I should just be more patient and wait for Zellers to get more in stock?

QuassEE

I really wouldn't be concerned with the TF being a year old. That still gives you 6 years of life left--and in 6 years a lot of progress can be made. Besides--unless you're planning on having another baby 12 months from now it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference as to how much use you'll get out of it. Most kids outgrow HWH convertibles shortly before their 6th birthdays.

Unless you are giving birth to a baby that's the size of a 6m old, I really wouldn't advise the MA. And if you ARE giving birth to a baby the size of a 6m old, my thoughts are with you :)

-Nicole.

mommycat

You can get a Radian on-line in a number of places, in case you want to consider it. I got mine a couple of years ago now at www.babyproofingplus.com, with free shipping. (In fact, I bought 3 seats at once at the time and it cost me $18 to bump my shipping to FedEx and have all 3 of them dropped off at my door. This might be different for your location.) Other places which carry the Radian are tjskids.com (which has the "regular" Radian on sale for $199.98), toysrus.ca, tummiestotots.ca, dearbornbaby.com, and I am sure there are others.

That being said, I love my True Fit and have that in my car right now instead of the Radian. It also is a bonus that you can take the headrest off for babies under 22 lbs and have more room to slide the front seats back while the baby still needs the 45 degree angled install. Since you don't have an issue with the width of the seat, you can't really go wrong with the True Fit, IMO.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Not to add to your confusion, but you may want to consider the Evenflo Triumph Advance as well. It fits newborns well, and has high top slots for big kids. Sears and TRU carry it. It fits my huge guy, and my little nephew:

P.S. - I grew up in the East Kootenays - welcome to the boards!

ETA: There are *supposed* to be two photos - the one with the little baby keeps disappearing.

IMG_8006.JPG
DSC00138.JPG

Last edited:

KootenayMom

So my baby arrived and he is definitely not newborn sized! He is already over 10lbs! We did buy the True Fit seat but it does not fit well in our truck. Depth wise, the seat takes up too much space. Not sure if any other seat will be better but we also find the harness very difficult to adjust. So, I am returning it and am buying something else.
My 4 year old is 35lbs and is in a Marathon that is rated to 48lbs with 2 years left to expire.
I am now thinking of leaving him in the Marathon and picking up a new convertible Britax seat for my baby. Since he is so big I am completely comfortable putting him in a Britax. So, I think the Britax Boulevard at TJ's is my best option? My spouse is going to drive to Kelowna to return the True Fit to ToysRUs and he can then buy a new seat from TJs.
I've really appreciated the help so far!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC