Balancing act! (Size, safety, price/fuel)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
My husband and I have been discussing trading in our '03 Pilot for something more fuel efficient. Riiiiight. Do you know how hard it is to find a safe vehicle that seats 5+ without spending a ton of cash? And that doesn't even get into the fuel efficiency issue! Ugh!

So, what car(s)/minivans/SUVs would you be looking at to get those four things?

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
The good thing is that you will be able to get many 06 models at a good discount since most manufactures 2007's are starting to roll in now or real soon.
We have been shopping for a Volvo XC90 in the past month or so and right now have about 5 local dealerships giving me a price of $38,000 for a 2.5T AWD with the versatility package (7 seater) and a few other packages as well as xenon headlights and the 18" wheels. The XC90 gets better gas mileage then my Sienna so it is temping for me. I think that's a smokin deal considering the sticker on this vehicle is around $46,000. But that doesn't included taxes since we don't have a sales tax in Oregon :p Just remember to not pay much attention to the sticker price and to get the best price request quotes via the internet. To find out what you will realistically have to pay for a vehicle you can look up the invoice price at edmunds.com and then expect to pay between $300-$500 above invoice price-current rebates.
I bought my Sienna in September of last year and got a good deal because the 2006's were arriving. And the Sienna is a great choice in my opinion! Good luck!

U

Unregistered

I just saw that the Ford Freestyle is being offered as a hybrid -- 500 miles per tank (15 gallons) It can seat 6 or 7 depending on config and has Volvo technology for safety.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Mazda 5? It seats six, but with not a lot of cargo space, but gets pretty good gas mileage, as I understand it (I'm *seriously* considering downgrading from the Ody)... maybe a slightly used Ody?

:)

U

Unregistered

I just saw an ad on TV last night and was super suprised! I just bought a freestyle a year ago and while I think it gets pretty good gas mileage--I was really suprised Ford was offering it as a hybrid. (and thought if only they offered it a year ago......) Perhaps there is something about it on their website?

PS: I LOVE my Freestyle

U

Unregistered

OK, so maybe I was "multi-tasking" a bit too much during the ad last night --- I SWEAR they said Ford Freestyle was offered as a hybrid, but I just checked their website and NO info. So, sorry to give a false start. But, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the ad and see where my mistake was.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
When my lease is up on my Tahoe I am looking at the Volvo V50 or a Saab 9-3 Aero Sport both wagons. I am also looking at the Saturn VUE hybrid or regular VUE or Pontiac Torrent or it's cousin Chevy Equinox. I have gotten 3 Britax RA in the Equinox before and was very impressed. The VUE actually has LATCH in all 3 seating postions.

I am leaning more to the Vue or V50 right now but I still have 1 1/2yrs left on my lease.

We want a small car payment plus something more fuel efficeint for sure.

TheQueenMother

We are in the same boat and are going to be trading in my suburban on a mini van this week. I also saw an ad for the freestyle talking about 500 miles/tank of gas and was really curious about this. I am looking at different types of minivans now. We often have 7+ in our suburban so the 8 seater Toyota and Hondas are a huge plus, but dh is wanting a Dodge Grand Caravan for the cargo room. We farm and I use my suburban to haul my kids, livestock and stuff. It is nothing for a trip to town to involve the ped's office, the vet, the grocery store, and one ton of feed for the stock. Now that I am WOTH, we can't keep spending this much in gas each week
Amanda

UlrikeDG

The Sienna gets 520 (highway) miles on a tank of gas, and I think that's pretty consistent across the board for minivans. In fact, I just looked it up on Edmunds (check out this comparison!), and the Ford Freestar gets the *worst* mileage of the minivans--it just has the largest tank size. The Grand Caravan doesn't look all that hot for cargo space or towing capacity, either.

You can find the IIHS crash test results for minivans here.

UlrikeDG

BTW, the Ford Freestyle (crossover) does get much better gas mileage than the Ford Freestar (minivan). However, it's also more expensive, and that mileage is only slightly better than the much larger minivans like the Odyssey, Sienna and Quest.

(All my comparisons were with the "base" model. Obviously, prices will vary if you want features not included in that model.)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
FWIW if you don't do a lot of freeway driving...I do mostly city driving around town and get about 320 miles a tank in my Sienna. I usually average around 19-20 mpg and when my husband takes it on long freeway juants it goes up to around 23 mpg.

lovinwaves

Ok I have some things to say:

Be patient. Toyota will be going ALL HYBRID over the next couple of years. Hybrid is the way to go with these gas prices.

Ford Freestyle: Yes, they say it gets 500 miles a tank, but you must do you research and you will find that it has a very large tank. That doesn't necessarily mean that it gets exceptional gas mileage. I would steer away from American Engineered Cars if I was you!! ;)

Minivans: We purchased a 2006 Honda Odyssey. We researched minivans for over 4 months. Many hours of test driving and comparing side by side. If you want the most fuel economy minivan this is the one. Honda offers Valve Shutoff. So you don't use all 6 valves all of the time. It will shut off 3 to save you gas mileage. Everytime we fill up we calculate our mileage per tank. EXCEPTIONAL!!

Overall the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna are by FAR the Best Minivans out there. The research, tests, and reliability prove it. One more thing. One of the reasons we picked the Odyssey over the Sienna is because you get more for your money including SAFETY features, which was very important to us.

If anyone has any questions about this topic please email me. I have plenty of useful info just sitting in my head about these vehicles.

UlrikeDG

We haven't looked at the Ody yet (because the Honda dealer is farthest from our house, and we haven't have time to drive out there yet), but at this point, I think we're considering a diesel VW Jetta or a Toyota Sienna.

Being "patient" isn't an option. We really need to reduce our monthly payments.

skaterbabs

We're trying to decide what we'll replace my Cherokee with when the time comes - it only needs to be big enough for DD and me, I have the Suburban when I need to carry passengers or cargo.
I've been drooling over the new Beetles....

lovinwaves

Ok, before you look at the Sienna look and DRIVE the Odyssey and compare it with the Sienna. Like I said before you get MORE for your money with the ODY especially safety features like three rows of Air bag curtains. We got into our EX-L which is just the step below their highest model the "Touring" for about $29k, It is like a luxrious SUV inside. I couldn't want more! The touring has extra luxury things that I can definitely live without, like dvd system, bigger wheels, wood grain dash, backup camera and screen etc.... Plus you get better fuel economy with the Ody.

melaniev

I dont think i will ever drive anything smaller than a minivan - i dont feel safe with less-than-average-car size between me and the next guy. unfortunately, i've never gotten better than 380miles to a tank in my voyager, and my mileage has ranged from 11mpg (towing) -21mpg, when I've calculated it.

skaterbabs

I hate driving a large vehicle, and am eagerly looking forward to when my kids are all older so one is not necessary. Right now since it's just Joyjoy and me 90% of the time I can downsize my primary vehicle, which is really nice, especially considering how much running I do while the boys are at school.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC