Question Need to choose a seat to fly with - EFTA or TF?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My choice is either the TF or the EFTA. Ds will be the one using it and the flight itself is close to 4hrs, so I'm hoping to install it rf'ing and hopefully he'll be able to sleep a little on the plane.

So has anyone flown with both of these? Ds should still be under the weight limit of the EFTA as it's just a tiny bit more than a month before we go and he still has a good 3lbs. (I'm in Canada, 30lb rf'ing limit here. ;))

The vehicle at the other end will most likely be a domestic SUV, so I don't think the knobs will be an issue with the EFTA, but that is my biggest concern about choosing it. I think that the handle in the headrest of the TF might make it easier to carry as well, but I'm not sure about that one...

If you have flown with both, which did you prefer? Did you use the seat rf'ing or ff'ing on the plane? Any thoughts?

Any additional tips anyone wants to share will be appreciated. We're flying West Jet and I'll be flying with him by myself, so the logistics of managing him, the carseat, and luggage is something I'm thinking about. I'll have help shortly after arrival at our destination, but I'm not sure how far dh will be able to accompany us in to the airport when we leave.

TIA :D

ADS

snowbird25ca

I'm guessing my question might've been too specific in asking if someone has flown with both and can compare between the 2 seats, so if anyone has flown with just 1 of them and has thoughts about how it fit in the seat and room to sit beside it, I'd appreciate that too. :)

northernmommy

I just flew last week with a TF, and it was a breeze. It was ff, on a smaller plane, and was very easy to install (far easier than the MA I was also traveling with). Good luck!

ETA: Sorry I forgot about the room aspect! I took the TF and the MA thinking that there wouldn't be enough space to have 2 TF's SBS, but there definately would have been room. So I'd say that there would be enough space to be relatively comfortable...it wasn't taking up any of the other seat, if I recall correctly.

HTH!

snowbird25ca

I just flew last week with a TF, and it was a breeze. It was ff, on a smaller plane, and was very easy to install (far easier than the MA I was also traveling with). Good luck!

Thanks. :)

How did you find it for carrying and for width of sitting beside?

northernmommy

It was easier to carry than the MA, due to the handle in the headrest, and it seemed lighter than the MA too (and I was lugging 3 kids and two seats through the terminal/plane...thank heavens for helpful flight attendants!)

And why on earth are you still up Trudy? aren't you an hour ahead of us? :)

snowbird25ca

And why on earth are you still up Trudy? aren't you an hour ahead of us? :)

LOL, night owl? ;) I am an hour ahead of you, I just have difficulty getting to sleep at a normal hour so tend to be up later than I should be.

With you having made it through the airport with 2 carseats plus kids, I think I should stress a little less about 1 carseat and 1 child and a shared suitcase plus carry on stuff. It's just a new experience for me and that always makes me nervous. :eek:

northernmommy

Yah, I'd never flown with the kids either, and I was stressed enough as it was, but everything went fine. Well, except for trying to get that f*@$#g MA installed, then uninstalled at the other end. Never flying with that seat again, LOL!

I'm a night owl too (can you tell?) and can't sleep when my mind is busy...plus E JUST went back to sleep...sigh

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC