booster training and more, thanks!

mommaon112903

When should we begin booster training our five year old son who will be out of his GN in three-six months? :confused:

Josef is a light-weight at 39lbs, but has a LONG torso, so the time is approaching that he will be in a booster in Daddy's car once/twice a week (sometimes more if Momma's sick of course).

We are planning on getting the Recaro Vivo (Josef has already picked out the Crimson as he is enjoying something other than brown and black, lol) but would like to sell the GN and use that money to get the Vivo. We can get the Vivo now and just pay the card off when the GN sells-but this is something we rather not do as who knows when the GN will sell. Where is the best on-line vendor to order it from? I noticed on babyuniverse.com the other night that they had the Vivo's for $64, they usually sell them for $70. I bought our Regent from them and it had a GREAT DOM on it (it was only two weeks old when I received it), but it was not on sale at the time. I am wondering what the DOM would be-I don't want something more than six months old.

Thanks everyone!:D

ADS

Andie

:happy-wavehello:
I think it would be best to start booster training him now. Just for short trips, 5-10 minutes. The earlier you start the better. Alfonso is pretty much still harnessed only because he can't sit still in the booster at this point. I never booster trained him, so now at 6 (almost 7) he wiggles too much.

IIRC, Recaro made too many of one of their seats, and they are still selling the back stock. I'm not sure if it is the Vivo or not. :( Maybe you could call them and see if they can tell you?

Kat_Momof3

I would start booster training him now and hold onto the Graco in case his growth slows enough that it lasts him another year.

I have a Vivo for my barely 5 yo b/c my dh gets frustrated with pulling seats in and out of his car every week. She does really well with it, but I still keep her harnessed in my van.

I love the Vivo, especially how low the belt sits on her lap, but she does have a hard time getting it tight, so I or dh still always buckle her in.

Adventuredad

We never had to do any training with my son. He loved his booster from day one and has always followed the simple rules we have. He reminds us when seat belt is not fastened, he never takes off belt without asking, belt must be under both armrests and tight, and he sits in seat without playing around.

My daughter will be in a booster in about 2-3 years and perhaps we will need to remind her about the rules. But hse has seen how well her brother behaves in his seat so I think it will be fine.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I would probably want to start booster training at least 6 months prior to it being the full time seat, if possible. But, at 6, unless there are fairly serious attention or discipline problems, it really shouldnt be an issue...I tend to be more concenred when it is the big 4 year old that needs to go into a booster, you know?

christineka

I think if the kid is mature enough (normal intelligence, age 6 or so) they should just be able to go into a booster and be told the rules. The vivo has great sip, which helps remind the kid to sit within the seat and also holds them up while asleep. I think you'd only need booster training for a young (age 4) kid or with a seat like the fisher price or pronto that has very little sip.

Kat_Momof3

We never had to do any training with my son. He loved his booster from day one and has always followed the simple rules we have. He reminds us when seat belt is not fastened, he never takes off belt without asking, belt must be under both armrests and tight, and he sits in seat without playing around.

My daughter will be in a booster in about 2-3 years and perhaps we will need to remind her about the rules. But hse has seen how well her brother behaves in his seat so I think it will be fine.

True, but take it from one who has been there... put one kid in a booster... they sit quietly... two in a booster... they learn real quick that they can lean over and try to play or fight (which usually starts out as them talking but escalates real quick)... it's why I was SOOO happy when the boys were harnessed again and all 3 of them were in harnesses... not only safer for them, but much easier for me not to have to pull over to constantly correct them or deal with all the noise from "he touched me"

mommaon112903

Yeah, Josef is an only child and has never rode in another car with a child who is in a booster. He did not even know what a booster looked like until we tested him in booster mode in the GN. This is why I am concerned, lol.

We are proud to say that Josef is as normal as they come now-at 3.5yrs he was dx on the autism spectrum, at 4.6yrs we had our "recovery day". I would be putting bricks on his head if he had the same behaviors and developemental delays he did when he was first dx! There was NO way in you-know-where I was going to put him in a booster anytime soon back then. That is actually when we got the Regent :) Unless we told you that Josef had a dx of an ASD you would never know. He is just ALL boy now! :D

Josef is the only one in his pre-k class that is harnessed, most are even in backless boosters. But of course he does not see his friends get in their vechicles, and he thinks being harnessed is what you are supposed to do. I am worried he will be scared to ride in his booster!

I will update everyone after his first ride in his Vivo. Not sure when exactly we will be ordering it, but more than likely before next weekend. He has not rode in Daddy's car in almost a week and I want to see where he is exactly in the GN. In the Regent we have only about 1/2inch before we move to the last slots:eek:

Thanks everyone!

Adventuredad

True, but take it from one who has been there... put one kid in a booster... they sit quietly... two in a booster... they learn real quick that they can lean over and try to play or fight (which usually starts out as them talking but escalates real quick)... it's why I was SOOO happy when the boys were harnessed again and all 3 of them were in harnesses... not only safer for them, but much easier for me not to have to pull over to constantly correct them or deal with all the noise from "he touched me"

It's a good point:thumbsup: I guess this all depends on many different factors. Knowing myself, my kids and the way they have been raised, the transition will be very smooth.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC