Booster Recommendations please

Pepse

I am looking for one for my soon to be 8 year old niece, maybe 35lbs soaking wet. We are going to start taking her on the weekends so I would like something to have.

Also what about for a 5 year old, 45lbs?

TIA

ADS

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi,

Your 35lbs niece cannot legally or safely be in a booster in Canada. All booster seats in Canada has the minimum weight limit of 40 lbs (unlike the 30 lbs limit in the US). She will need to continue in her harness seat. Just make sure it's one that still fit her height wise (you know, tip of ears must not be higher than top of the carseat AND top harness slots used must not be lower than shoulders).

For the 5 yrs old and 45 lbs, if it must be a booster, I like the Graco Turbo (highback) for a good and reasonably price booster. Just make sure he/she is mature enough to sit properly in the booster (ie. no slumping, no slouching, no leaning, etc.) for the seatbelt (the only safety device) to work efficiently. But again, he/she can still benefit being harnessed at 45 lbs and 5 yrs old, kwim?

MomToEliEm

Does anyone know if there any exemptions to the booster seat law in Canada for situations like this were a you have a lightweight older child who may very well be mature enough for a booster seat, yet not above the 40 pound weight limit of the booster seat.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Are you sure she's only 35lbs at 8 years old? Even DS1 (one of the skinniest kids I know) is 40lbs at almost 7 years old (7 in March)... he rides in a Parkway. I really wish they hadn't discontinued that seat. :(

Our friends daughter is 34lbs and she's 4.5... I can't imagine an 8 year old at just 35lbs. Or are there other health issues there?

bubbaray

What happens if the child has outgrown the harness, but is still under 40lbs?

Granted, I'm having trouble picturing that, but I suppose it could be possible.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Does anyone know if there any exemptions to the booster seat law in Canada for situations like this were a you have a lightweight older child who may very well be mature enough for a booster seat, yet not above the 40 pound weight limit of the booster seat.

There are no exemptions that I know of... Thankfully, the Radian came out and DS1 fit in that when he was/had outgrown every other seat on our CDN market (by height) at only 35lbs.

Now we have the Radian and Frontier and he still fits in both of those with a little room to spare... so there are options up here for the extreme lightweights. :)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
That falls in the "what to do when a child exceeds 35lbs under the age of 1" category.. There is no safe AND legal option.

-Nicole.

What happens if the child has outgrown the harness, but is still under 40lbs?

Granted, I'm having trouble picturing that, but I suppose it could be possible.

Pepse

hmmm we will have to get her weighted again. BIL told me that is what she weighed.

As for the 5 year old, don't get me started on that, lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC