children at car seat checks?

Jan06twinmom

Maybe a dumb question...

I'm assuming that you want children present when you do a car seat check so that you can make sure the child is in the proper seat and that the parent knows how to put the child in the seat properly.

Do you have any suggestions about what a parent should bring along to a car seat check in addition to their children?

I'm trying to put information together for my local twin club website about car seat checks - so pretty much every parent will have two or more children in car seats. I'm wondering if I should recommend that they should have at least two adults - so that someone is watching the babies/children and one person can be more engaged with the CPST. I'm also realizing that having a double stroller would be necessary for parents of multiples.

When I get this section typed up, I think I need to post it here to get some feedback.

Melanie

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ideally having a child present at a seat check is the best way. Depending on the age a stroller may do it, and a 2nd adult definitely makes things easier. This will also be dependent on space in the vehicle and the weather outside...

For example, we've been having a lot of cold weather - like below -20 fahrenheit. The checks that I've done for parents recently have for the most part been either prenatal or kids at home because having the kids outdoors in this weather isn't feasible - and if the vehicle isn't big enough for the kids to stay sheltered in the vehicle, it's better for the kids to stay home.

So I guess really ideally having an extra adult and a stroller, along with some snacks and a couple toys would be best. The same thing as with any seat check would apply with twins - have both the vehicle manual and the carseat manual available for the tech to look at. That is what I'd consider most important to have.

In the event that the children won't be there, and there's a question of fit, I have the parent/caregiver check how the child fits in the seat prior to meeting up with me. So I have the harness height discussion briefly either on the phone or through email. I've also heard of people who take a pin and use it to mark where the top of their child's shoulders are in the seat. I imagine that method could work fine, but I've never had to use it... Since you're providing this preparation info ahead of time, you can definitely put in there for parents to check how their child fits the seat in the event the child won't be there. :thumbsup:

Perhaps the most important thing to keep in mind, is that parents need to leave a check feeling confident in their ability to reinstall the seat as needed - whether that be because their child has grown and they need to take it out to change the harness height, or because they've gotten a new vehicle.

So I guess there's no real simple answer. I think most organized seat checks are done inside, so shelter from cold weather isn't an issue the same way as it is when I do private checks. And a lot of climates aren't as cold as us either. :p But for me, at least when it's super cold outside like it has been, I don't push having the child at the check. It's helpful to have, but I can do all the education I need to without the child present - all that's missing is the actual buckling of the child, but harness tightness and procedure and everything is still gone over. :thumbsup:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I would also add that parents should make sure that kids are well-rested, fed, etc. when they come to a seat check. It's really hard for both the tech and the parent to pay attention to the task at hand when the children are cranky because they're tired, hungry, have already been dragged around to stores that day, etc. A seat check for 2+ kids could take an hour or longer, and cranky/tired/hungry kids can make it really tough.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yes, PLEASE bring extra adults, if there's more than 2 kids, 2 extra adults IME. I need mom or dad to be able to focus on what I'm saying/doing and be able to put the seat in themself etc. It's hard when they come alone w/ 2+ kids or it's hard to expect the extra adult to be entertaining 2+ kids alone. We usually have teen volunteers to play w/ the kids though (we always have indoor events-so they just sit and color on the gound-in the winter and a table etc set up in the summer where they can color at) and have crayons and papers to color and people to hold babies etc. I think that'll be my job Saturday since I can't check seats, I'll hold babies! FUN job!

christineka

I took my 5 to a seat check with just myself and they did just fine. Safekids set up a kids' area where they colored safe kids coloring things and did safety games. The time before that I took 4 kids and just me to the seat check. They didn't have fun stuff for the kids, but they were fine reading and coloring in their seats until it was their turn. Maybe it is just because I normally deal with 5 kids in a variety of settings that mine do fine and I can handle them? They are much easier to handle while confined. I'm not the type to hyperventilate when thinking about taking 3-5 kids shopping, but that may be because it is at least a weekly activity for us.

Mom to a few

I agree with everything Snowbird said--Except maybe the part about most organized seat checks being inside!! Every seat check I've worked (most were organized/sponsored by our local Safe Kids) has been held in a parking lot. So it's usually either really hot, or really cold! I'd love to have indoor seat checks :D!!!

It's great if both parents are there for a few reasons: Both can be educated, one can keep the child(ren) happy while the other parent works with the carseat, and for safety--There's always someone watching the child to make sure they don't wander away, get hit by a car, or choke on the snacks that are being used to keep them happy!

I think it really depends on the age, personality, and developmental stage of the child.

One of my least favorite situations is where there is one parent at the seatcheck (who is really interested in learning, is eager to install the seat themselves, etc), and the child is at the "separation/stranger anxiety" age. There was one mom in particular who stands out in my memory. She was trying so hard to listen and install the seat herself, but her child was in an absolute panic about the situation (clinging to mom, screaming the entire time, etc). I ended up installing the seat myself, explaining everything during the process, but I could tell that she was incredibly distracted as she wrestled with her 18 mos old. I feel like I missed a great opportunity with her :(.

So if kids are at a very "needy" stage, then I think it would be best to have another adult there to help. If the kids are well-rested, well-fed, and content to sit in a stroller, then it ususally isn't a problem :).

Kat_Momof3

double stroller (especially if only one adult can go), cookies (definitely agree that cookies are essential.. even if your kid thinks ritz crackers are cookies... and all mine did at one point)... toys they haven't seen in awhile or are new to distract them.... snacks, drinks, and make sure they are fed, rested, well, and their diapers are dry.

Also, when you first pull in, (this is more for moms with more than twins... like triplets, quads, etc.) let the tech know you have more than one wiggly toddler/baby so they can do whatever possible on their end (bringing another tech to have one do one or more seat while he/she shows you on the first what to do (since multiples most often ride in identical make/model seats and you'd be installing the same seats the same way))

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Definitely bring seat manuals and vehicle manuals. As a tech, I want to double check LATCH positions and top tether anchors (vehicle manual) and confirm harness positions and seatbelt/latch routing in RFing seats (in addition to pointing out information in the manual you can refer back to).

Every check up event is run a little different. If you can call ahead and find out how the event is run and where, that would be helpful with planning. I prefer to have kids present because I so often see harness issues when kids are present (height, snug, 'belly clips'). It's easier to explain while doing and it can also be helpful for kids to hear from someone else ("an expert" or stranger) about safety and why the harness needs to be snug/why it's important to use a booster.

Some (my local area) are small (15-20 seats in 4 hours) and by appointment. We try to find out ahead of time how many little people are coming so we can schedule accordingly. We are usually indoors (service bay at local car dealership) but we don't always have extra people to watch kids.

I also help with events in Omaha, and they are larger events (50+ seats in 4 hours) and drive up (no appointment). They do usually have volunteers to help entertain kids, but with the no appointment, some kids have "had it" by the time they get to the front of the line for the actual check.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC