Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Which seats have a built in seatbeat clip?

We're having a very hard time installing using the seat belt and those locking clips! It seems like we have often had to uninstall and reinstall (travel, relative babysits, etc.) so even if we can get a tight install we don't want it to be a huge issue each time.

We have a 98 Corolla, no latch so using seatbelts. Unfortunately the seatbelts come out from the car quite a bit so the spot where you'd put those metal locking clips is usually behind the seat and hard to do. We just bought a Radian65 and Evenflow Chase not realizing how hard both of these would since they have that metal locking clip.

Currently my 2.5 year old (very tall, long torso, 30lbs) is FFing in a Roundabout. The install of that seat is a breeze in our car since it has a very simple built-in clip to thread the seatbelt through. Which other seats have these?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Re: Which seats have a built in seatbeat clip?

Your vehicle is new enough that the belts themselves should lock. There's a video here which may be helpful. Also check your vehicle manual for instructions on how to lock the belt in your car.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

This site is a great primer on how/when to use a locking clip, how the various types of seat belts lock, etc. I find it extremely helpful.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

To answer your question, the Britaxes, the True Fit, and the Recaro Como and Signo (forward facing) have lockoffs. But your seatlbelts lock at the shoulder (pull them all the way out and them let them go) so you'll not need to use a locking clip in your car.

You mentioned other cars that the seats go in. If they were made after 1996 the seatbelts lock somehow. Either like yours at the shoulder or at the buckle. What other cars do the seats go in?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Unregistered

Oh my goodness I can't believe we didn't know this! I love this site.

The ILs also have a 98 Corolla and other relatives have newer cars. Now I think we'll keep the Radian for our car. I really wanted it to work since it looks great for airplanes too.
    The Chase is for the ILs' car.
    Thanks!