Erf wwyd?

marcymc

I've always gotten great advice here and I'm looking for more.

My 2.5 yo dd is RF in a EFTA in my car and an original Triumph in DHs car (2 door Civic). Just today I noticed she barely has 1 inch left above her head. Last I weighed her with her clothes and shoes on she was 28.5 pounds, so I hoped to get to 3 RF. She only rides in DHs car 15 minutes once per week.

My 4.5 yo dd is FF in a MA in my car and another Triumph in DHs car. The Triumphs will expire this December (or maybe Dec 2010.) I was planning on replacing both with Nautilus' (plural for Nautilus??) for older dd and then younger dd would have the EFTA and MA.

I could give dd2 the MA, but I don't even know if the MA will fit RF in the civic. Its taller than the triumph, and that is already very tight behind the passenger seat.

So, should I
1. try to RF the MA in DHs car and give dd1 the triumph? (dd1 would not be happy with that arrangement)
2. RF dd2 in the MA and buy a Mariposa nautilus now
3. just let dd2 FF in DHs car

Thanks for any advice. :)

ADS

NannyMom

As long as the MA fits RF, I'd give the MA to DD2. Remember, because she's older, the seat can be more upright.

abacus2

The safest possible choice would be to RF her in the Marathon, but honestly at 2.5 and nearing 30lbs, I would FF her in a secondary 2 door car.

Kat_Momof3

there are people on here who have fit the MA in Civics.

Let me tell you why it will fit, despite having a taller seatback.

1. it sits lower on it's base... even lower than the roundabout, which is famous for fitting small cars well... it's why, when you place them next to each other, it looks only 1" taller.

2. remember, you don't HAVE to have that 45* angle for older rfing kids

3. less deep - the triumph will extend further from the vehicle seatback of the backseat because of how deep it is. The Marathon is less deep, which provides less legroom, which is not a big deal, but it also makes it go closer to the seatback, maximizing space for the seat.

Patriot201 has a BV rf in her civic... there is a picture in her post HERE - http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=439400&postcount=2

and a side shot of it in her signature pic.

also, there have been posters who have rf Marathons/BVs in their 2-door coupes (such as the chevy cavalier), which has about the same backseat space, so I am sure it will fit.

Not to say that, at over 2 and nearing 30lbs, I'm not perfectly comfy with her ff... just trying to help since you want her to rf.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The safest possible choice would be to RF her in the Marathon, but honestly at 2.5 and nearing 30lbs, I would FF her in a secondary 2 door car.
I agree that RF in the Marathon is an excellent plan. I disagree with FF her in a secondary vehicle. My DD is the same age and weight and rides in my parents vehicle approx. 20 mins. per week. Her seat is installed RF in their vehicle and my dad knows he'd be in big trouble if he ever flipped it FF. :)

The main reasons I have for keeping DD FF in a secondary vehicle are:
  • it's safer
  • toddlers are notorious for going through stages of being difficult when getting into their car seat. Although DD has only ever sat RF, she knows what FF is (come on, everyone else in the vehicle sits that way!) and may really enjoy the ability to back seat drive if FF :) Wouldn't want to make her annoyed with RF.
  • it's safer
  • I look at my DD and she just seems so little yet! But their heads are still large in proportion to the rest of their body. I just can't imagine flipping her yet, even if for a minute.
  • it's safer

zeo2ski

If you want to keep her Rfing, do it. The thing with the infrequent-short-trips-in-the-secondary-car is well, where do most accidents occur? Near to home, right? Those short trips are still getting in the car and driving and that is that. Doesn't matter how far you're going or how often. That's my opinion.

I'd say go ahead and try the MA, I'd bet you can get it in fine if you put it more upright.

And I think the plural would be Naulilii:D

I think I would try to keep her rf. You'll be amazed how long it might take her to gain that next 5 lbs (to 33). Play with the seats in your dh's car and see what fits best. (That's my favorite extra-curricular activity ... playing with seat arrangements :D)

marcymc

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I should keep her RF. DH goes along with ERF, but hates getting the girls into the carseats in the back of his car. I usually wind up doing it for him.

Why isn't anyone telling me to buy a Nautilus? I'd love to buy a new seat, but I should try to work with what I have for now :eek:

I want it to warm up a little before I play outside with the carseats. I think she has a little time. I may post a picture to see what everyone thinks.

NannyMom

Ok, I'll tell you to buy a Nautilus! :D Forget about the old Triumphs and buy 2 Nautili for DD1, and use the EFTA and MA RF for DD2.

lol, how's that?
But...if you wait closer to the end of the year (when the Triumphs will expire) there should be more color choices for the Nautilus. I heard they are coming out with one that has comfort foam..... ;)

marcymc

I did hear about one with comfort foam, but I forgot about that! I guess that's a good reason to wait a little longer.

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC