News UPDATE to "Rear facing is Best!" JOEL'S NECK COLLAR REMOVED!

luv2bfishin

Hi all, Grandpa here.

I am grateful to all, for the support and prayers we recieved from people all over the world!!

And now, a New Years treat for everyone! I am not able to post a video here, but I have posted a video of Joel WITHOUT HIS COLLAR on his website at http://joelsjourney.org. This was taken during a recent visit to my house on January 10, 2009. That's about 18 weeks after the accident.

Joel is recovering more and more each day. Just last week, his plastic collar was removed!! The doctor is very happy with the fusion of his neck vertebrae. He still has a limp right arm, due to the compression of the shoulder nerves from the harness straps. But his right hand and forearm work great, so it's very promising. Physical therapy continues to improve on that.

This little boy is a miracle, and I believe his saga will have a big impact on car seat regulations being revisted!! I will continue to press NHTSA and AAP to revisit this "12 month and 20 lb" threshold to front face a child in a car seat. I have posted several links on Joel's website that show the benefits of ERF, including actual crash data.

So, again, thank you all!! Enjoy the video.

Extended Rear Facing
extended rear facing--Carseats and some states laws require your child to be rear facing until 1 year AND 20lbs. The new recommendations are to rear face your child to the weight limits of your seat, 30, 33 or 35lbs.

ADS

Mommy0608

Thank you so much for stopping by to let us know!! That is FANTASTIC news! :):thumbsup:

Joel is lucky to have such a great Grandpa! I wish him a continued speedy recovery. Keep us posted, I think of him often.

monstah

Great update!! Joel has a lot of people wishing him well, that's for sure!

And great job Grandpa!!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thank you so much for the update! So glad he is out of his collar and recovering!

I could not find the new video on the web site though? The only video I could find was the original one that you created.

Kat_Momof3

this is so wonderful!!

as usual, you bring tears to my eyes. I pray so hard for that little boy and for a total recovery.

I believe he is meant to be able to tell his story and change the future of child passenger safety. Of course, his survival and recovery also speak of how far we have come, too. Still, we have a long way to go.

Lots of hugs and kisses for Joel and big hugs to you and the rest of your family.

ElaynesMom

Thank you so much for the update! So glad he is out of his collar and recovering!

I could not find the new video on the web site though? The only video I could find was the original one that you created.

The new video appears to be in the "Contact Us" section of the website.

OP, it is really wonderful to hear that your grandson is improving. It's so great of you to share your story, and I will hope for Joel's continued improvement.

henrietta

Wonderful news!

I've bookmarked Joel's website to share w/my dad (also a grandpa!). He's a nuclear engineer, but still complains sometimes about using the carseats rearfacing, even though he "hears" the explanations. Coming from another well-educated grandpa may help to get the message across better.

Congrats and warm continue-to-get-well wishes for joel!

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC