Question WWYD? Combination or Convertible? (frontier, TF, nautlius?)

spokesgirl

DS1 is 2 years old and 33lbs FF in a Britax Marathon. (ETA: It's a Marathon w/out the 65lb limit - 48 I think.)

DS2 is 3 months old and in a Graco Snugride - he hates it, we hate driving with him and barely go out it is so bad. We are thinking of switching him to a convertible so he's not so scrunched.

Option1: Switch DS2 to the Marathon and buy a combination seat for DS1 - Nautilus or Frontier. (Probably Frontier - although, is there a good side to a low back booster that the Nautlius converts to?)

Option 2: Buy another convertible - like the TruFit to get longer RF-ing capability (35lbs).

Overall - what is the best route? Any downsides to switching DS1 to a combination seat now? He meets the minimums for the Frontier. I like the option of 35lbs RF-ing, but can't get my head around buying another convertible if we might need a combination with higher THS later? Or will DS1 likely make a good long go of it in the Marathon (it has fairly high slots too)?

We have a 2002 Dodge Caravan and so far, I have not had issues installing seats in it - the seats are kind of deep and sloped but overall, the Marathon fits well RF-ing - I am concerned about the height of the TRuFit if we need to RF it with the top part on (if that makes sense.)

I know that's quite a bit to ponder...any insight is welcome.

Julie

ADS

bubbaray

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the weight limit -- my DD#1 is out of her MA. She's just barely 40lbs. She's out of it b/c her shoulders are over the top slots of the harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC