Question does anyone know about dvd player use for rear facing seats?

K

kristin40272

I want to put a dvd player in the car so that the baby can watch it while driving. The carseat is in the center but there is no headrest over the center seat so i would have to rig up somthing to use on the passanger seat where it is viewable from the middle. Are dvd players safe?

ADS
NO matter how tightly you rig it, it will always be a projectile flying object hazard in an accident, possibly resulting in severe head and facial injuries to the child. That being said, I have one rigged in my mini-van. It's as tight and secure as I can get, and I'm taking the lesser of two evils. For me it's a matter of having my almost two year old scream for every car trip as he knows my older son has his overhead dvd. My two year does not sleep in the car. So, the driver's nerves can be shot due to excessive non-stop screaming, or I can take the risk of the dvd coming loose in an accident. Anyway, I'm not reccommending it, especially if you have a lower key child who will fall asleep anyway, but I do it.

BW1426

I agree with the PP. I would be extremely careful with this. I'm not crazy about any DVD players that aren't factory installed. A DVD player could do a great deal of damage to your child (or possibly even to you) in the case of a crash.

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
A few years ago dh surprised us all w/ a portable dual travel DVD system from Santa.

I opened it and the first thing out of my mouth was not the wonderous GLEE that dh was expecting but...."Hmmm, I wonder how these screens attach to the seats?"

Thankfully, they have straps that wrap around the headrest and clip to each other fairly snugly (they are plastic clips...but I was thrilled it wasn't velcro).

Dh did our first install of it and I checked it over and it wasn't too bad. The screens are tightly secured to the headrests. What we like about the dual screens is that dd was able to watch in her ffing seat and ds was able to watch in his rfing seat.

It isn't perfect...but everything is really a judgement call these days. FWIW, I have heard of a few "installed" DVD systems falling off the roof of the vehicle so nothing is foolproof!

We still use the system on long trips (our rule of thumb is that we only use it for trips longer than an hour one way in the car) and I have yet to live down my lukewarm reaction to such a "wonderful" gift.

We are looking at getting a Sienna in the spring and will get the built in DVD system...but both kids are ffing now so it won't be an issue.

mominabigtruck

I had disney dual dvd players (had because the second screen broke) and had one on the front seat and one on the back seat headrest. Mine came with little velcro strappy things but that didn't work well with my headrests so I used bungiee cords. Really, what can't you tie down with a bungiee cord:whistle: Right now because I removed one of my captain's chairs it is suspended on a tie down strap from my luggage handle thingys. It does swing back and forth when I turn but I really don't know how it would come off and hit anything. My tie downs are rated at 80k lbs and 70mph so I think they should hold my little two pound dvd player.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC