For anyone wanting to know more about the Orbit Toddler seat

Kat_Momof3

there is now an official demo on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4TlGZJvPHU&NR=1

The seat has some very cool features and, while I wouldn't dream of being able to afford the orbit infant seat and stroller system, the toddler seat is much more affordable (comparative to Britax) and has some great features that may make you want to look into it.

However, I think it only can use the LATCH system with the base, which can only be used rf.

So keep all that in mind if you are just a die-hard latch fan.

However, I love the built-in lockoffs, the removeable sunshade, and the extra leg room for rf.

ADS

cmm7

They have this at a store up here. If anyone wants specifics I can try to get them this or next weekend.

FrogJuice

They have this at a store up here. If anyone wants specifics I can try to get them this or next weekend.

That would be great, I've been eyeing this since it first came out. I will be needing to buy a few more seats soon.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I am pretty sure you can use the seatbelt with the base. :)

I'm absolutely sure you can do a seat belt install with the base.

It's a nice seat. Very tall. Fairly easy to use on a daily basis, but the once-in-a-while adjustments like moving the harness and crotch buckle are insanely difficult. The cover is two layers and you have to adjust the positioning of the outer layer when you move harness heights. To do this you open a velcro slit in the sides of the cover, then take little velcro tabs that are attached inside the inner cover and move them. Sounds easy right? Nope! They used super-duper extra strong velcro. Seriously, you could hold the space shuttle together with the stuff they used. It took Natysr and I both pulling on the velcro to open it. The harness height adjustment itself is easy enough, but there is a bit of a learning curve to getting the hatch on the back of the seat, which hides the splitter plate, open and closed. The crotch buckle adjustment was just nuts. I actually broke a sweat and got short of breath changing it. Here's a couple pics of my 6 yr old in it. For comparison, she is just even with the second to top slots on the Regent.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Perhaps she meant that if you want to use LATCH, you have to use the base; you can't use LATCH w/o the base (as opposed to you can't use the base w/o LATCH).

Even so, the seat comes w/ a LATCH strap (it's stored in the back), so it can be installed both RF and FF w/ LATCH when using the braces rather than the base. (It also have both RF and FF lock-offs).

You guys should check out the manual. It's pretty well written.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I :love: the manual and the seat is pretty darn nice itself! I've played with the seat, installed it in my van--to bad I don't have a kid small enough to use it.

The braces are a bit of a PITB to have to deal with, but everything thing is laid out nicely in the manual and is color-coded in the manual and on the seat.

minismom

I'm thinking it be great for air travel but on the orbit website it doesn't say it's FAA approved.... it would suck to have to gate check the rest of your super $$$ orbit stroller though!

littleangelfire

I was impressed with the video - and the color coded labeling for FF and RF. And I really liked it that they said how even though the convertible seat can be used with the stroller, that for everyday use, the toddler stroller seat makes more sense.

brightredmtn

I would really get one if the money fairy made a visit to my house. If I had thought about the infant system I'd absolutely have the toddler seat now but it just doesn't make financial sense to buy a $300 seat two $150 bases (one for my moms) and a $450 stroller frame.

G8r4evr

Thanks for posting. I thought I had decided on the TF w/ ARB, but now Im worried it may not fit in my Jetta. I wonder if the Orbitz seat would. Im not interested in the stroller (Im in love with the one we already have), but I would buy it for the carseat and use it without the base. It looks like it may fit better than the TF in a compact car?

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You don't have to buy the base to use the toddler seat. It comes with the braces and you install the seat with those if you don't have a base.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It may. It installs pretty upright (of course, you can use pool noodles or a rolled towel to fix that). They had a couple installed in a Prius at the ABC Kids Show. Let me see if I can find a pic for you.

ETA: http://carseatblog.com/?p=225

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC