Safety Ratings

U

Unregistered

I currently have two boys that ride in my Honda Odyssey minivan 2nd row captain's chairs as follows:
1. 2.5 year old, 41 pounds, ~40 inches tall riding in a Britax Marathon (65 lb weight limit) at the next to the top shoulder position and forward facing.
2. 1 year old, 30 pounds, ~34 inches tall riding in an evenflo triumph (40 lb weight limit) newly in the top shoulder position and forward facing.

I plan on graduating my kids up and through each seat (as long as it fits appropriately, of course). I go by Consumer Reports' safety ratings to purchase my seats. I am thinking about getting the Britax Regent (since my 2.5 year old is big but still young and probably won't be mature enough to move to a booster when the time comes in the next year and a half or so).

NOTE: I'm planning ahead because if I buy the Regent now then I can use it in Daddy's car. Currently I have to move my car seats all around.

I guess consumer reports hasn't rated the Regent yet. Are there any other ratings out there for it? The other Britax convertible seats get "excellent" ratings in forward facing so can I assume that the Regent would get the same ratings? I don't feel comfortable just going on brand name (although that is better than nothing.)

Two side "ratings" questions:
1. Are there any ratings out there for the Britax Parkway? The Parkway is a different design so I don't assume anything about it's ratings. I might do the Parkway or the backless Turbobooster after he gets out of the Regent (since we have headrests in our van). This is way in advance of my need, however I'm curious as to your thoughts.
2. Do you have any input on the Graco "bucket" for newborns? I used that for both my kids but it was because everyone else I knew used them. Looking back, I have no idea what their safety ratings are. Any thoughts? We are hoping to get pregnant at the end of the year so I'll have to be thinking about baby number 3's safety.

Thanks for your help!

ADS
U

Unregistered

Oops...Newbie mistake.

I'm a newbie so I guess I posted in the wrong forum with all of my questions on safety ratings.

Since reading in the other forum, I've also figured out that my "trust" in Consumer Reports is a little too strong. So let's just sum it up with your opinions on the Regent and my thoughts of graduating my DS to that seat next. Does that make good sense?

Also what are your thoughts on the Parkway vs Graco Turbobooster as his next step? This is WAY in advance, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.

And the Graco bucket for baby number three (which is yet to be conceived but we already own the bucket.)

Thanks!

skaterbabs

The CR ratings for car seats are not worth the paper they're printed on. If you want to know which washing machine to buy, consult them. But their car seat testingis a joke. Their methodology is suspect because no one else can replicate their results, they only test each seat once, so issues such as short harness slots and shell, or twisty straps don't get counted, and ease of use & safety features like non-twist straps and EPS foam don't get counted either. Then they use price as a determining factor as to what is the "best" seat. For more info, read this portion of the FAQ for this site:
http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q30

I would suggest you move your 1 yo to the Marathon and turning him/her back RF. FF he is at great risk for internal decapitation. Basically his spine will stretch in a crash, but his spinal cord will break.

Get a Regent for the 2.5 yo. and leaving him/her in it until it is outgrown. The Regent is the same seat as the Husky, just renamed with some minor changes.

The Parkway is a good seat once the Regent is outgrown, but keep in mind new seats are being released all the time and your children's growth will very likely slow considerably now.
I say this because my oldest son weighed 30 lbs at his 12 month well baby check; he weighed 45 lbs at age 3. By age 7 he had dropped from the 97th percentile to the 33rd. At ten, he is hovering around average (5-th percentile). He weighs about 72 lbs. (He's due for his yearly physical...)

The Graco infant seat you've used for your other two is fine as long as you can say yes to the following:
1. it has a 5 pt harness
2. it has a front adjuster
3. you have never washed the harness or immersed it in water (Graco specifically forbids this with all their seats.)
4. it has never been in even a minor crash (Graco says replace after ANY crash.)
5. You have never used any harsh cleansers on the harness or seat shell.

If you do choose to purchase a new infant seat, the new Graco Safe Seat 1 may be a good choice for you because it has much higher weight (30 lbs) and height limits than the other seats currently on the market.

U

Unregistered

Thanks!

Thanks so much for replying.

After I posted my first note, I read what you said in the other forum about Consumer reports. Glad I stopped by here to get that education. I did realize that they factored in cost so I ignored the overall ratings and just looked at the crash test part but I guess they still sound kind of suspicious.

So the Regent sounds good, and I can say yes to all of the Graco questions so I guess I'll stick with my "bucket" for child # 3 when that time comes. I didn't know there was an infant seat out there that went up to 30 lbs. Wow...that might come in handy.

Decapitation doesn't sound good, so I'll think on how to get my 1 year old rear facing for the next 3 pounds. Although I can't do it until I get the Regent and graduate everyone. I'll have to get that in the works.

I can't believe your kid went from over 95% to the 5th percentile. I guess I never imagined that happening for my kids. It certainly could, although one grandpa is 6'8" and one is 6'4" so I do expect them to end up big. We'll see.

Question on my current configuation in the mean time:
- According to the Marathon paperwork, I am supposed to change my kid over from using the LATCH system to using the seatbelt to hold his Marathon at 48 pounds. Do you recommend doing this earlier than that? Which is safer or does it matter as long as I stick to the manufacturer's instructions? Any additional wisdom on this subject? If I do use the seatbelt, can I still use the tether that goes over the back of the seat? (I know I'm not supposed to use LATCH and the seatbelt at the same time.)

skaterbabs

Did I say 5th percentile? That should read 50th. As in about as avg as you can get. ;) I actually had a lady the other day say to me "he's small for ten!" lol I think he still has growing room in the Regent, although I haven't put him in one for a year. But he was a 9 lb 6 oz newborn, 20 lbs at 4 mos, 30 lbs at 12 mos, ect. He's finally started growing again...he's gained at least 6 " this year in overall height.

That said, my best friend just gave birth to her second child two weeks ago. He weighed less than 8 lbs (7 lbs 12 1/2 oz). At his two week WBC he weighed in at 9 lbs 9 oz! Talk about a big boy. LOL I told her she's feeding him butter. ;)

As for LATCH, use which ever is appropriate for the seating position in which the seat is located (i.e., no center LATCH unless the vehicle manufacterer specifically says so) and whichever you get the most secure installation with. So if you have both available for the seating position, use the one that gives you the tightest correct installation. You may use the top tether for both a seatbelt and LATCH installation, and it improves the safety of the seat if you do use it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC