TF not so great for my newborn

rodentranger

We have the TF installed in my car for baby D (born 1/8/09! 8 lbs 12 oz, 21.25"). I'm not excited about it. The infant padding seems to push his head forward and make him slump even though the seat is reclined. I tried taking the head "support " out, but it then he slumped forward and to the side worse.
P1010138.jpg

P1010139.jpg

Also, I know the manual says to use the lock-offs, but they are nearly impossible to lock with the position of either the LATCH strap or the vehicle belt. With both installations, the belt is right in the way of the red part closing over the yellow part. Would I be dumb to make parental decision that the locking belt is good enough?

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Thanks for posting pics! I do see the head pushing forward. I wouldn't worry about slumping to the side but slumping forward wouldn't be good. Do you have it at a full 45 degree angle?

He is long! How was the torso height of the seat? I've never actually seen a newborn in the seat. It looks like the lowest harness setting is good for him. I wonder how it would be for a shorter kid. Neither of my kids were anywhere near that tall ta birth!

BW1426

Can you take a picture of the seat from the side? Just from looking at it, I would say that the seat is not reclined enough, but it's difficult to tell.

I'm a little confused about the lock off question. You don't use the lock offs with LATCH. If you can't get the lockoff to close over the belt, I would just use the locking mechanism.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You use the lockoffs no matter what installation you do on the True Fit. And sometimes depending on the angle they can clump and cause it to be a PITB to close. I've always been able to close them, but sometimes a few choice words not fit for a newborn to hear need to be used.

I'll call Learning Curve and see what they say about not using them. I don't know what they'd say. On the one hand a locked belt is pretty golden. On the other hand the path is rather open, with the lockoffs being the upper edge of it. So I don't know.

Wendy

Congrats!

Yeah, he doesn't look good in there. Hope you can find a way to get it to work. I've never been a fan of starting out with the convertible in case your kid ends up not fitting.

BW1426

You use the lockoffs no matter what installation you do on the True Fit. And sometimes depending on the angle they can clump and cause it to be a PITB to close. I've always been able to close them, but sometimes a few choice words not fit for a newborn to hear need to be used.

I'll call Learning Curve and see what they say about not using them. I don't know what they'd say. On the one hand a locked belt is pretty golden. On the other hand the path is rather open, with the lockoffs being the upper edge of it. So I don't know.

Wendy

I didn't realize this. Thanks for correcting me. Sure doesn't make much sense to require them on the LATCH strap.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I didn't realize this. Thanks for correcting me. Sure doesn't make much sense to require them on the LATCH strap.

I think it's because of the positioning of the lock-offs. Or who knows, maybe they intended it for consistency?

I'm also wondering if the seat is reclined enough for a newborn. Line level to ground looks really reclined from the side, but it's what they've stated as being the newborn angle and what they tested it at - plus I suspect the interior recline is much different than how it looks from the side, simply because a small baby doesn't compress padding that much. The harness looks like it adjusts nice and snug and fits well anyways. :)

rodentranger

I wouldn't worry about slumping to the side but slumping forward wouldn't be good. Do you have it at a full 45 degree angle?

He is long! How was the torso height of the seat?
I'm not too worried about the sideways flop, it's the forward flop that bothers me. I have a Sit Rite noodle and a towel under it with the foot flipped to the recline position. The torso height was great. The belt comes from just below his shoulders.
Can you take a picture of the seat from the side? Just from looking at it, I would say that the seat is not reclined enough, but it's difficult to tell.
I'll try to take a pic tomorrow. The car is parked in the driveway, which is pretty steep by itself. I'll have to move the car to the street to take a pic.

Wendy
I got the lockoffs to close once..then wasn't happy with the recline, so I took the seat out and reinstalled it. Now I can't get the %&$* things locked again.:mad:
Congrats!

Yeah, he doesn't look good in there. Hope you can find a way to get it to work. I've never been a fan of starting out with the convertible in case your kid ends up not fitting.
Thanks! I have a SR also, and I may end up just biting the bullet and moving the bucket from car to car. Until I'm "allowed" to drive again, I have the SR in my mom's car and the TF in my car (mine is the family car). It's a borrowed bucket, so I don't want to buy an extra base. He fit much better in it though.

rodentranger

I think it's because of the positioning of the lock-offs. Or who knows, maybe they intended it for consistency?

I'm also wondering if the seat is reclined enough for a newborn. Line level to ground looks really reclined from the side, but it's what they've stated as being the newborn angle and what they tested it at - plus I suspect the interior recline is much different than how it looks from the side, simply because a small baby doesn't compress padding that much. The harness looks like it adjusts nice and snug and fits well anyways. :)
The harness needed a bit of help from the back of the seat, but it wasn't too much hassle. I was able to get it nice and snug. He's not so fond of the whole seatbelt thing. I'll mess with it again tomorrow. (That's what they mean when they say take it easy when you're discharged after having a baby right?):whistle:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I had this problem the first time I put my newborn in the Radian with infant padding-- the head falling forward. I found that she was just built differently. I pulled the top of the padding UP and that helped. Maybe if you play around with it you can get it to where it works better? I had to re-adjust it every time I put her in until she was a bit older, but it did seem nice and comfy once it wasn't pushing her forward.

The problem was that it was hitting her shoulders which it looks like is happening with your baby too. I don't know how the padding "attaches" on the TF but it might be worth a shot.

sunnymw

Yes, with the TF I had to pull the head padding UP UP UP until I couldn't pull it up anymore--otherwise the side-padding part of it would push his upper body forward ;)

rodentranger

Okay, so yesterday I went out with my surveyor DH,a level, my car and the TF.
First we made sure the car was completely level. Then we installed the TF, checked it's red line as level and verified the seatback was at 45. And argued with the lock-offs until they locked. The seat is in nice and tight and the seatback is at 45 with the level line level. It seems sooooo reclined! But his head didn't flop all over today when the boys and I spent all day in the car!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
How did you check the angle? Some people have had problems with the seat being over-reclined when the line is level...

NannyMom

Not yet....

With a carpenter's level. DH's has a bubble for level and 45 degrees.I went more by the seat back angle than the level line in the seat.

That's a good way...that's how I like to do it. But, I usually pull off the top of the cover to make sure that isn't changing the results at all. The level is placed directly on the seatback. I also use the level against the level line as well, to make sure it's not over recline "as per manufacturer's instructions" :)

BTW- seeing your cute little baby in the TF makes me want to take my boss's new baby (3 weeks old) to BRU and try her in carseats, lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC