Is the Bolero/Generations skinny?

fyrfightermomma

I did a car seat check last night for a police officer in the city that I work. Didn't have the kid with her so it was just a quick installation check. Other than using the top tether as a LATCH belt and having her 20 lb 11 month old in it and the straps being twisted beyond recognition and her holding up a part saying "i'm not sure where this goes. It came with it" and us trying 5 different times to install the stupid thing (very old messed up car) and the freezing 4 degree temps....other than ALL that, it went great :whistle:

Anyways, it seemed to be a pretty skinny seat. Is it my imagination or is it really? I did the check so fast, I wasn't paying too much attention. My daughter doesn't need anything above a 40 lb seat and this Generations seemed to have fairly high top slots (is that true?). When we have our 3rd we need to do 3 across. I got one Radian XT, but wanted to save some money for the other "skinny" seat. The Cargo fits, but the Generations seems a little more comfy.

So, anyone know? Is this considered a "skinny" seat?

ADS

Nennib

Personally, owning 3, I find it a wide car seat or at least wider than average. Having had a Touriva in the past, the Generations is quite wide. The harness slots are fairly high around 16 inches I believe. My 7.5 YO outgrew the harness straps at 7.25 YO and was able to move right into a booster seat. We don't use the Generations however as a booster. My average sized 4.5 YO DD is on the top slot but they sit about 2 inches above her shoulders, so she has lots of growing room.
Nenni

tiggercat

It's on the skinny side, but doesn't puzzle all that well with other seats that I've tried. I did do a 3 across with one, but can't remember the other seats and the vehicle off the top of my head. It wouldn't hurt to try it out.

fyrfightermomma

Anyone else have any other ideas on skinny cheaper seats? Cargo sized. The cargo is just SO upright and she has low tone.

Don't need above 40 lbs, but do need fairly high top slots (at least 16-16.5)

TXAggieTech

I have 2 and they work seem to puzzle with the MA pretty easy. I was able to do 3 across with them and a Parkway in the back of a dodge ram 1500.

DS is 5.5 and still fits with quite a bit of room. My friends girls outgrew them by weight this summer at 5 but still fit by height. I've been more impressed that I thought I would be.

I do not like the knob adjust on any seat so it has that is it's downside for me. Plus, with the tops slots so high it would have been nice to have a 50 lbs limit to take advantage of them.

Nennib

I do not like the knob adjust on any seat so it has that is it's downside for me. Plus, with the tops slots so high it would have been nice to have a 50 lbs limit to take advantage of them.

That's the great thing about the Canadian weight limit (47 pounds). It is a seat that can last kids for a while. Although my dd outgrew the harness at 7.25 YO just as she turned 40 pounds, so the higher weight limit was never an issue for us.

Nennib

I puzzled 2 Parkways and the Generations across the back of our Altima once (only worked with the Generations in the middle). It was a very tight squeeze, just about tore the skin off my hand trying to buckle the girls in the PW. It was tight at the top also. I was surprised because I thought the PW were skinny seats.

TXAggieTech

That's the great thing about the Canadian weight limit (47 pounds). It is a seat that can last kids for a while. Although my dd outgrew the harness at 7.25 YO just as she turned 40 pounds, so the higher weight limit was never an issue for us.

I'm surprised we don't talk more about this seat in the US. Ours were out with a family until a few months ago so I didn't have much experience with them until recently. They have been pretty easy to install also.

It sure would be nice to have that extra 7 lbs, I could have kept my Radians that I swapped the family for!

horseymom

I have one ( we just actually replaced it with a Frontier, dd out grew it at 4.25 years, she's tall) I would say it's a semi skinny seat, it's low which is nice and I agree it might puzzle well with a MA. It's very upright though

christineka

There's a version of the Cargo with a recline thing. I think it is called the "snooze bar". I'm not sure how well it makes the seat recline though.

jmm3

We have a Cargo and a Generations. I think the Generations is slightly narrower than the Cargo. I can't check right now though because the Cargo is in my parent's car. We have used both seats in a captain's chair, and I think the Gen. was narrower, but we haven't tried any puzzling.

The Generations is pretty upright too. It does have a small recline feature that makes a small difference. Our Cargo has a "snooze bar" like was mentioned. That gives it a pretty decent recline. I think comparing the 2 seats on recline setting, the Cargo is more reclined.

MustangMama

There's a version of the Cargo with a recline thing. I think it is called the "snooze bar". I'm not sure how well it makes the seat recline though.

Yeah DD had the one with the snooze bar. We never used it because it reclined her too much. So yeah, it had a pretty good recline to it!

fyrfightermomma

Yeah DD had the one with the snooze bar. We never used it because it reclined her too much. So yeah, it had a pretty good recline to it!

Good to know! Maybe I'll just do one Radian and a Cargo to save money. The kids rarely ever go in DH's car so I could care less if she's in the Cargo then.

U

Unregistered1

That was my first 'good' seat. I don't have it anymore but my impression was that it is quite wide. The Evenflo Chase is skinnier and I think the recline is just about the same as the Bolero (maybe not the Generations because that one has a recline mode).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC