• Belly clip

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Bundle me

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Clicky box

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Pixels

On Tuesday mornings I take DD to the library for a program they do. There's a grandmother there who brings her toddler grandson and 3 month old granddaughter. GD has always (so far) been in her infant seat with tons of misuse. Next week I'm going to say something to her about it, but I don't want to come on too pushy so I think I'm just going to pick one thing ... so if it were you, which would you pick?

Harness is loose, but over the shoulders. Not super super loose, either. Probably just what your average parent/grandparent thinks is ok. Over the shoulders meaning not around her arms, I can't see where the slots are.

The belly clip literally could not go any lower, it was resting on the crotch buckle.

Bundle me was being used, and kinda funky. The carseat (Peg Perego?) has headwings that they had to work around, so they put the headwings through the slots where I think the shoulder straps are supposed to go.

Last edited:
ADS

mommaon112903

They are all bad! But you knew that, lol.

Well, the harness slots need to be at or below insted of above. The bundle me thing has never been crash tested, making her grandchild a literal crash test dummy. And the chest clip not being where it should (it is called a chest clip for a reason grandma :) ) can let the child literally fly out of the car seat upon impact.

I am not really sure which one thing I would choose :-( Sorry not much help!

Misty-Bug

tough one.....but if the harness is above her shoulders that would be what I approach. I would mention how it should be below her shoulders. Some are not going to change on those stupid bundle me's. You can kind of incorporate it into the tightness.

oh I was just noticing your harness. I just wanted to give you some information if you don't mind.....then tell her.....then say something like the bundle me will not let her tighten it properly though so you would suggest taking that out.

Misty-Bug

also I would be careful.

she is grandma and yes she is caregiver but she may not know a chest clip is called a chest clip. She may be going by what the parent says or does when they are dropped off.

MomToEliEm

What I would do would be to try and get a handful of some of the USAA carseat usage booklets and see if the library will let you distribute them during the program.

Here it is in PDF form: http://www.usaaedfoundation.org/pdf/544.pdf
It really is good with pictures of good use and misuse. I was able to request 100 booklets with no problem and I had the booklets within 6 days of requesting them. Best of all, the booklets are free.

To get it, go to: http://www.usaaedfoundation.org/
Select the "Order Publications" link at the top of the form.
Select publication "544 - Installing Child Safety Seats"
You can order up to 100 booklets at a time.

I find that distributing the information to the group as a whole is less likely to come across as pushy. Some other people there may learn something too if they get a booklet.

Pixels

OK, I edited the first post. I can't even see where the slots are on the seat because of the bundle me. I meant that the straps are routed over her shoulders, instead of around her arms on the side of her body.

Thanks for the info about the brochures, there is an area for brochures in the children's area so I will definitely do that :thumbsup:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
TAnd the chest clip not being where it should (it is called a chest clip for a reason grandma :) ) can let the child literally fly out of the car seat upon impact.

Actually, that's not true. A chest clip is a pre-crash positioner. It is designed to keep the straps in place and will likely break away in a high-powered impact. It helps the straps restrain the child: it does not provide any restraint on its own.

In this case, the chest clip would be the least of my concerns -- the straps fitting properly would be the first, and there's a chance you'd be able to work the BundleMe into a conversation about properly adjusting straps. :)

We don't konw exactly how bad the straps are. She said they weren't super loose.

WHich is why I voted for the belly clip. If it's positioned properly, the chest clip could keep the straps together enough to still restrain the child. Based on my limited info, I think it has the best chance to do the most good with the most chance of actually being followed (lots of parents are resistant against tightening teh straps on their kids for some reason).

MustangMama

Actually, that's not true. A chest clip is a pre-crash positioner. It is designed to keep the straps in place and will likely break away in a high-powered impact. It helps the straps restrain the child: it does not provide any restraint on its own.

In this case, the chest clip would be the least of my concerns -- the straps fitting properly would be the first, and there's a chance you'd be able to work the BundleMe into a conversation about properly adjusting straps. :)

:yeahthat:I totally agree!

Some seats don't even come with a chest clip so this may pass as something minor. the larger hand should be dealt with right now which is her harness not being correctly on her body and then the Bundle Me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC