Buckled but putting seat belt behind back

tjham

I had someone do this in my back seat and I made her fix it. I told her it wouldn't work at all in a crash (not even the lap portion), that it had to be across her chest for the automatic sensor to register and tighten in a crash. She fixed it. But I don't know where I got my info or even if it is correct. It just came out of my mouth! Then yesterday, I saw someone else do it, not in my vehicle though. I wondered again about exactly what to say to someone who is doing it and be accurate. Any links?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You could simply show them your vehicle manual which always states NEVER to put the shoulder belt under the arm or behind the back ;) Also, you could search the NHTSA website, too....

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Some vehicle manuals DO tell you to do that, though (older ones) scary, huh? The lap portion WILL lock (try it sometime... just pull it out really fast), but that's ok, it's still incredibly unsafe to do. There's some stuff about how the lap portion pulls out and sort of balances with the shoulderbelt portion when the belt is used properly, which is why you never ever use a locking clip for an adult or boostered child, but I'm fuzzy on specifics of that, I'd have to remember where to look (maybe cpsplist from way back when...a couple years ago...).

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I used to do that when I was younger. The seatbelts definitely didn't fit me when I was in elementary school, so I would put the shoulder portion behind my back. I think I did that until I was about 10 or so. Every car ride, every day, for SEVERAL years, I rode like that. :eek:

We did lots of other bad things- when I was with my cousins and there were too many of us to fit in one car, we would either put two kids in each seatbelt or we would pile a bunch of UNRESTRAINED kids in the back of a station wagon, mini-van, or later, an SUV. :eek: :eek:

Carseats were not mandatory until my younger brother was a baby. My parents had a carseat for me, but it was not required by law. I think I got out of the carseat when I was about three. I don't think booster seats existed back then (in the late 70s), so I didn't go into a booster when I got out of the carseat.

It is truly amazing that we all survived...

U

Unregistered

We had ALR belts and I used to pull the shoulder belt out WAY loose and let it 'hang' so that it wouldn't rub in my neck.

Kellyr2

Here, too, Patriot. The seatbelts didn't fit me right, so I put it behind my shoulder. Riding in the cargo area of our van (VW - it had a big cargo area, not like these minivans) was a regular occurance if the space was needed. Riding with no belt at all on vacations and we needed the space for gear was common. (We always camped, so the van was packed full).
Now, I've seen my nephew put the belt behind his back sometimes and it drives me insane!!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I sort of absent mindedly figured the older ones say to do this for booster-sized kids (at least the ones I've seen -- ACK against directions telling adults to do this, too!) & that parents would also follow the booster seat directions ... but, I should have clarified: "always follow both vehicle & carseat/booster manuals" :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC