RFing Signo users please help!

fyrfightermomma

My Signo is a strictly FFing seat. That's what I bought it for. I tried RFing and it was horrible.

Anyways, long story short. I sold a few of my seats and one was my DD2's. The only "spare" seat I had laying around was the Signo. I figured, no big deal right? I'll just use that. I have a Radian XT coming next week and the new TF on preorder. I can deal with the Signo RFing for a little while right?

WRONG! I HATE HATE HATE it RFing. My kid has a super long torso and I can't seem to fanagle her into the van. And I've hit her head every time. And I can't seem to get the straps up OVER her shoulders (as opposed to FFing) because of the head wings. And the seat is so deep I can't find the straps. Do you guys have that problem? The thing is SOOOO high up.

LOL. I NEVER had this problem with it FFing. Now I remember WHY I don't use it RFing.

Another issue. Even with a noodle, the thing is bolt upright. I can't imagine not using anything. Did you guys have to use anything?

Leg room is not a problem which is nice because she has no legs. Seriously. They are like 12 inches long. She's the funniest little thing when you see her in just a diaper. All torso, no legs.

Please tell me it gets better or I'm gonna be complaining for the next few weeks!

I wanted to keep my older daughter RFing throughout the winter and then turn her FFing in the Signo, but I'm rethinking that. She's RFing in a MA right now. If I just turn the oldest FFing and give her the Signo I could have the MA back for the baby. Hmmmmm decisions decisions

By far my most favorite FFing seat, but man....RFing...it sucks! lol

Last edited:
ADS

firemomof3

I hear you! I bought my almost 3y/o an avenue just so I could keep her rf because she was so uncomfortable rf. My 20mo. is still rf in his signo and yes its a little more cumbersome to get him/out of the van but I don't have any issues with the harness :confused: Did you take off the harness pads? I don't use them rf only ff, that helps. As for an angle, you have the signo reclined right? You could cut a pool noodle in half and use that.
Have you tried putting her in butt 1st and then rotating her rf?

fyrfightermomma

I hear you! I bought my almost 3y/o an avenue just so I could keep her rf because she was so uncomfortable rf. My 20mo. is still rf in his signo and yes its a little more cumbersome to get him/out of the van but I don't have any issues with the harness :confused: Did you take off the harness pads? I don't use them rf only ff, that helps. As for an angle, you have the signo reclined right? You could cut a pool noodle in half and use that.
Have you tried putting her in butt 1st and then rotating her rf?

Ahhh...good idea with the harness pads. They are a big problem. I'll try taking them off.

Yep, it's reclined. I was so confused I even double checked. It was SOOO upright. I have one noodle right now and it's probably about 30 degrees. I prefer 35-40 for her since she still sleeps in the car, but there was no way and I had no extra noodles.

We tried the butt thing first but then she was sitting upright and smacked her head. So I've tried putting her in head first and that kinda works but she's just kinda dangling there for a second (poor kid).

There is NO way I could ever put my older kid in this thing RFing. Even my 22 month old who is super tall, barely even fits. I guess it's just not the RFing seat for me :)

firemomof3

Ya, its really not a great seat for rf. For some reason, it does work for me though :confused: Here are some pictures, maybe they will help:
Here is my 20mo. rf:
avenue011.jpg

Last edited:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The Signo worked reasonably well for us RF in DH's Scion xB along with a RF Como in our Sienna for DD2 from fall 2007 until she reached 35 lbs. in the spring of 2008 shortly before her 3rd birthday. She's all torso, too, and having flat vehicle seats (no noodle required for RF recline for DD2), a boxy roofline and roomy door opening in the Scion and van helped with loading and unloading IMHO. :) I really wish the Signo/Como had velcro to hold the harness straps aside when the seat was unoccupied, like Britax convertibles. I preferred to loosen the harness and to tuck the buckle tongues off to each side of the seat when unbuckling DD2 to try to avoid having to fish for the harness straps from underneath her when buckling her back in. I also kept telling myself it was temporary, trying to eke out those last pounds of ERFing in the Recaros. :)

Pixels

Fire Mom of 3: Your back seat (vehicle seat) looks like it's really reclined. Is it allowed to be back that far?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Fire Mom of 3: Your back seat (vehicle seat) looks like it's really reclined. Is it allowed to be back that far?

I was going to ask the same thing. You should definitely check your vehicle manual to make sure that the manufacturer allows the vehicle seats to be reclined that far when using child restraints.

firemomof3

Ya, in the 2nd picture it is awfully reclined :eek: But that picture is old, the 1st picture is brand new and the vehicle seat isn't reclined at all. So, I'll remove the 1st picture and take some new pictures today ;) Thank you both for catching that :thumbsup:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Ya, in the 2nd picture it is awfully reclined :eek: But that picture is old, the 1st picture is brand new and the vehicle seat isn't reclined at all. So, I'll remove the 1st picture and take some new pictures today ;) Thank you both for catching that :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Thanks!

Peony

I had to destroy an MA so 2y DD2 went into the Signo, RFing was a huge PIA in that seat. She is currently FFing for a bit, she is tall and getting her into that seat was such a nightmare that I started refusing to go anywhere, it was that big of deal. You are right though, it's my fav FFing seat, I will never RF a child in it again, maybe the under 1 crowd, but not an older child. :rolleyes:

fyrfightermomma

Well I knew I couldn't deal with it for 2 more weeks, potentially 2 more months! I knew I would be tempted to turn my oldest to swipe her MA for the baby, and I really wanted to wait until after winter to turn her.

So I was just at a baby store getting a Keyfit for yet to be concieved #3 (And I got it for $39 woohoo!) and ended up just buying a Scenera so I don't have to use the Signo. . Eh....it'll do. Atleast I can get the poor kid in. I was going to get an Avenue, but I could barely get to the harness adjuster while it was on the shelf, let alone in a car. It doesn't line up with the fabric at all! Didn't want to mess with it in the below zero weather.

fyrfightermomma

Ya, the avenue's harness adjustor is one of the worst I've seen! Its like they are trying to deceive you...:mad:

LOL. I felt like a moron in the store. It seriously took me over 5 minutes to figure out WHERE inside the fabric the thing was. It was ridiculous. No way was I gonna mess with that.

fyrfightermomma

Well I took off the harness pads and that seemed to help a little. I also started tucking the straps in the headwings after I get her out. I got the strap all twisted in the buckle since I couldn't see (or feel!) what I was doing due to the cold. So now I gotta fix that. Grrr

The Scenera is going in tomorrow!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC