I need a new travel seat

LuvMyCharlie

DS outgrew the Scenera last month :eek: and now we are without a 'light' travel seat. :thumbsdown: Now I am left to choose between a MA and a TF. I honestly do not see me lugging EITHER of those through an airport. I've thought about purchasing a Radian, but it's not any lighter than the other two. The only saving grace(I believe) is that it folds and has a carry strap. We are going to be doing alot of flying over the next several years and that is honestly the only thing I can see me being able to lug around. Of course, I guess I could go the MA on the luggage cart route. What would you do? Any suggestions for a lighter seat? Remember, my DS has a 14" torso at 18 mos. old.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Avenue? It weighs just a smidge more than the Scenera and will last a LOT longer. And takes up the same space rear-facing.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes. I think it's 18 or 18.5 inches at its widest (it's almost the same all the way up, but I think at the bottom it's about 1/2 inch narrower or so.)

And my 8 month old with the 15 inch torso still fits RF in it.

Kat_Momof3

how do you normally transport the seat?? I'd have it on a luggage rack or a gogo kidz travelmate and just pull it (with a luggage rack, you could hook it up with harnesses facing down on top of luggage, so you can pull your bags, too!)

how do you normally transport your son?? what stroller if you use one??

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Radian on a luggage cart or on a GoGo Kidz - works like a stroller. :thumbsup:

The weight being the same as bulkier seats doesn't matter as much. It feels lighter because it's easier to carry.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I LOVE my Radians for travel with the older 2 but I assumed he was RF still. The Avenue/Uptown works for RF on a plane, the Radian just doesn't. So if he's FF the Radian is great but for RF not so much.

LuvMyCharlie

It honestly just depends where we're going. If it's only a short(like two day) trip, I don't take a stroller, just a mei tai. If it's longer than that I usually take my Graco Ipo(umbrella stroller) and bungee the seat to it, then let him ride in the seat. LOL It's quite a sight to see!

He does still ride RF in the car and that is mainly what concerns me. I know the Radian is a beast. In fact, I brought one home from my training the other night to play with. Fits him AND my car beautifully. But during travel, I don't always know what kind of car we'll end up with. On the plane, I am okay with him being FF(I know, I know...) although it's SO much easier to tend to him RF since he faces me.

Kat_Momof3

It honestly just depends where we're going. If it's only a short(like two day) trip, I don't take a stroller, just a mei tai. If it's longer than that I usually take my Graco Ipo(umbrella stroller) and bungee the seat to it, then let him ride in the seat. LOL It's quite a sight to see!

He does still ride RF in the car and that is mainly what concerns me. I know the Radian is a beast. In fact, I brought one home from my training the other night to play with. Fits him AND my car beautifully. But during travel, I don't always know what kind of car we'll end up with. On the plane, I am okay with him being FF(I know, I know...) although it's SO much easier to tend to him RF since he faces me.

okay... so you have an umbrella stroller that has an adjustable back... you could bungee either of his current seats to the stroller with no problem.

and if you needed to, you could put him ff just during the plane trip.

It's different than a car... so no ill thoughts on that one.

In fact, I'd be taking the truefit as it sits lower and get him one of those trays that attach that are no-no's in the car but fine on the plane... it would give him a place to color and play.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I am not a fan of FF on the plane just because it means you have to switch the straps twice or more, while travelling. I'm kind of a fan of "least hassle possible." ;)

Kat_Momof3

but with the truefit, switching the harness is not time consuming at all... pull knobs and lower or pull knobs and raise.

LuvMyCharlie

but with the truefit, switching the harness is not time consuming at all... pull knobs and lower or pull knobs and raise.

You're right. I suppose the TF would be the least hassle as far as switching straps have to go. I'll take it at least on our next flight and see how it works out, then report back! LOL

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The True Fit, when I look at it, seems so WIDE. I've been in several planes where a Scenera or Uptown just about fit with not much extra room. Would a TF fit on a plane? Does it depend on the plane?

Kat_Momof3

it's really the same width as the Marathon or Boulevard... it just sits lower.

You'd need to put the armrest that is shared with the child's seat and your seat up, but otherwise it should fit fine.

at the very least, the fact that it is faa approved should tell you it can be...I have yet to meet an faa approved seat (even the apex) that couldn't fit (though I think the apex would require someone skinny to sit next to it)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've been in planes with fixed armrests that would have interfered (you could not raise them.) That might be one thing to check before deciding whether to use it on a given plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC