Question Chase users- does your child loosen the chest strap?

U

Unregistered

I have decided to buy the chase for a few reasons....

My requirements are the following....an it met all of them!!

-price
-harness to 47lbs
-tall THS
-future booster

This is for our second car, so we are not willing to spend big bucks as we do with our primary car.

QUESTION- I noticed the strap tightening feature is on the front of the strap, with easy kid access. Has this been a problem for anyone out there? Does your child play with this? How do you prevent it?

thanks!

ADS

KaceyLynn

the chase only harnasses to 40lbs

when we had ours the kids never could loosen the straps -- but we just didn't care for the seat

also - they don't make for a very good booster when the kids are older

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm assuming this poster is in Canada, where the Chase does actually go to 47lbs (when top tethered, which seats legally must be there). I've never heard of kids loosening the harness (the button is pretty hard to press to get it looser), and yeah, they do make pretty crummy boosters later, but the harness is tall, so it could be a long time before a booster is necessary anyway. The Graco Nautilus is now supposedly in Canada, I think, and that's a much better choice (much higher quality seat, higher top slots, higher weight limit, and makes an excellent booster seat), so if you can find one it's a better bet (if it fits your budget, of course! Seats cost a bunch more 'up there' than they do in the US!)

:)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I think the OP is in Canada, where the Canadian version of the Chase harnesses to 47 lbs. OP, if you register and specify you're located in Canada, it would make it easier to converse online with you and minimize confusion. :)

Shaunam

We haven't had any issues with DS trying to loosen it. I'm not even sure he's figured out there's a button there though. LOL He'll be 4 this month.

tiggercat

Greg rode in a (CDN) Chase (well it's clone, the Express) in my inlaw's car for several years, and he never loosened it. It's not an easy loosening thing from that angle, sometimes my FIL even had trouble loosening it. Since it's a continuous harness (one strap), he just left it tight and wiggled Greg into one strap at a time.

One thing to mention, the Chase does not make a very good booster. It positions the seatbelt high on the child's abdomen (not low on the hips like it needs to), and sometimes the shoulder belt is held too far out in front of the child, so it doesn't fully contact the chest. We chose to purchase a dedicated belt positioning booster when the time came (we chose the Graco Turbo booster because it was not too expensive, but fairly tall, and positioned the belt well on my son).

I agree with Jools that the Graco Nautilus would be a lot more bang for your buck since it harnesses to 65lbs and makes an awesome booster, but it is >$200 here.

scoutingbear

We had a chase for A...outgrew it in no time :rolleyes: C is now using it as his seat in my parent's cars. Neither one ever touched the harness adjuster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC