Is the Oobr worth $100 more than the Monterey?

Girly_Qs

Okay, it looks like we're about to make the move to a booster. Currently comfortably in a Britax Regent, my about to turn (this week) 6yo dd (approx. 48" and 42lbs, long in the torso) just isn't buckling herself in to the Regent as well as she has in the past (she's twisting straps, and not tightening as well as she used to). My dh thinks it's because she's finally getting a bit irritated about being harnessed. All of her friends have been in boosters for at least 2 years now, but she'd never before expressed any discontent so we happily left her harnessed!

So, it looks like I finally have to make a booster decision . . .. I'm down to:
Sunshine Kids Monterey
OR
Clek Oobr

My question is this: as neat as some of the features of the Oobr are (mg frame, crypton fabric) - is it REALLY worth an 'extra' $100?

I'm not so concerned about appearance (other than 'not hideous'). The Monterey is 5lbs lighter, though I'm not sure how much it'll really be moved (at least 90% of the time it'll stay in my car). The Monterey also appears to have higher weight and height limits. Seat size isn't too critical for us, as our minivan has seperate captain's chairs and we only have 2 children.

ANY input into helping us make this decision would be GREATLY welcomed! TIA!!!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Wow, I didn't realize that it would be $100 more! :eek:

I'd probably say "no" to that. The Oobr looks REALLY neat, but the Monterey is very functional and has so many great features itself... Unless you need to fit 3 across I'd say no (the Oobr looks better for that to me, though of course we don't have real info on how it puzzles yet.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Purely in terms of construction and materials, yes, it's definitely worth the money (it's more like a real upholstered vehicle seat than just plastic with a cover, so it's a lot more expensive to make). Whether it fits your car and your kiddo and your seat needs, it may not be. It's kind of hard to know whether it's worth it to you until we can see them in real life, though (oh, it's SO hard to be patient, I want an Oobr so much! lol I have Ollis and Recaro Starts and it's hard to go back to plastic boosters...)

Girly_Qs

Does anyone know the 'lifespan' on these?

I do have a 2nd dd (now 2.5yo, so a long ways from needing a booster!), maybe the additional money is justifiable if it can make it through both of them?

I definitely agree that the Oobr would be a much costlier seat to make (materials, etc). So, I'm not 'arguing' with the cost in those terms, just whether the functional difference is great enough to justify spending an extra $100 (yep, it is that much - the Monterey runs $140 while the Oobr is listing at $240) - especially when it seems that the Monterey goes an additional 20lbs (not all that critical with my lightweight) and an additional 6" (more important to us).

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'd like to see more of the Oobr first. I was really impressed w/ the Monterey when I played w/ it (minus a kid) and that's what I would get right now if I had to choose.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Purely in terms of construction and materials, yes, it's definitely worth the money (it's more like a real upholstered vehicle seat than just plastic with a cover, so it's a lot more expensive to make).

I pretty much agree. I think that (based on what I know of clek) the price is entirely justifiable. Whether I personally can work it into my budget remains to be seen. ;)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Yes, I think it is worth $100 more. The cost of materials alone...

I mean... do you KNOW how much Crypton fabric costs? It's $52-$57 PER YARD! That's really expensive!

Kat_Momof3

I agree... it's worth it because it's based on cost to manufacture.

But otherwise, I believe it is also easier to adjust (what I gathered from the video... that headrest looked to go up and down like butter and it pulled apart and went back together just as fast)

Also, it is easier to install/take out for moving. It could be a full 10lbs heavier and it would STILL HAVE to be easier than the Monterey.... moving it is the only thing I don't like about it.

I think which one I would buy would depend on my budget and on the build of the kid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MnGXMQpkI8

but another one to consider that is not as wide and huge as the Monterey, but has latch (and rigid latch at that), yet doesn't convert to backless, but goes about as tall as the Monterey is the Jane Indy Plus.

there are people on here who own it and love it and if Jeffrey doesn't want to give up the Monterey when Ruthie outgrows her Nautilus and he has enough room to go, well, then I might buy her the Indy Plus or her own Monterey (but right now, he's talking about using an Olli in my car when she outgrows the Nautilus)

Girly_Qs

I think I should have phrased my question differently . . ..

I do NOT doubt that the Oobr's cost is justified in terms of materials/construction. What I'm not sure of is: based on our potential use of the seat, would those features be justified as 'necessary.' Does that make sense (I'm not explaining myself terribly well, I apologize!).

The fabric does look really nice, and I'm sure that it's expensive. But, since we don't ever eat in the car, or drink anything but water from a spill-proof cup, it's probably not all that 'necessary' for us.

Moving it is kind of the same scenario - we've never moved their current seats (a Regent for dd#1, which from what I understand is a bear to move). She has a TurboBooster to use for the rare occassion she rides in Daddy's car (seriously, maybe 3x/year?). So, while that plus may be important to others, I'm not sure it's 'necessary' for us.

I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of justification to spend the additional $100 and get the Oobr (or wait for it, as is the case), but I'm having a hard time justifying it instead of the Monterey . . ..

Oh, and in case it helps anyone weigh in - my dd#1 is long and lean. She's about 17" from bum-to-shoulder. She's also very narrow overall, no hips at all and narrow shouldered as well. A bit of a lollipop I suppose (LOL), in that her head is the widest part of her body (a good 2" bigger than her waist!).

I had considered the Jane Indy Plus - it looks intriguing - but, I'm having a hard time actually finding one for sale, anywhere (wondering if they've been discontinued? or discontinued here in the states?).

Thankfully, she's still fine in her Regent for now, so there's no 'hurry' in making the decision. I'll just have to keep double checking her with her harness (all good!).

Tyler'sMom1117

I own an Olli, and LOVE it! I would justify an Oobr if it was in the budget and fit my child. :D

Will you be comfortable using it (Oobr)backless when she outgrows it in height or are you going to want her to remain in a HBB as long as possible?

If you will use it backless when she reaches 20" I would go with the Oobr. If you are going to want her in a HBB as long as possible I would go with the Monterey.

We are here to enable!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ah well, it's all speculation till we get to see one :D (for instance, on the face of it, the Frontier is better than the GN in lots of ways...until you try to install it with the short belt path in most cars :p)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC