Hypothetical recycled car seat thread......

If a seats had the same features but one could be recycled easily.....

• I would choose the seat that could be recycled if they were the same price.

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • I would choose the one that could be recycled even if it were $20 more.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I would choose the one that could be recycled even if it were $40 more.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I would choose the one that could be recycled even if it were $60 more

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Having a seat that can be recycled doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 25 41.0%
  • clicky box

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters

emandbri

Which most closely fits you?

You can vote for more than one, if you are willing to pay extra choose all the ones above it as well.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well, I am one of the lucky few that has a recycling program close to me. I collect car seat to take up. The hospital is doing that now as well.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Well, I am one of the lucky few that has a recycling program close to me. I collect car seat to take up. The hospital is doing that now as well.

Do you know how they recycle the seats? Do they take them apart and recycle certain parts of them? If so, which parts can they recycle?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
They completely take them apart. There is a CPS-I in charge of the program. It is pretty dang cool.

mominabigtruck

I picked that i wouldn't buy one because I take all my old carseats to the industrial oven at dh's work so it doesn't matter to me either way it's not sitting in a landfill plus I'm not worried about someone snatching it up.

TXAggieTech

Russ said the Radian can be recycled, but we don't have any where here that would.

Ours get used for target practice!

southpawboston

wow! more people indicated that it was of no importance to them than those who said they'd do it if they were the same price??!! (20 versus 18 as of this post). that sucks, man. that's disappointing. i can see not choosing a recyclable version of a seat for cost reasons, but even if it didn't hurt your wallets one bit? for shame... :(

christineka

I think most of us live where there is no car seat recycling problem, so why should we pick a seat that can be recycled in Oregon (where we don't live) over some other one we like better? My county has only just started recycling paper and plastic products. I do not foresee a car seat recycling program for at least 10 years. There is no point for me to buy a recycleable car seat just for the recycling factor. I'm not going to drive it to Oregon.

Kat_Momof3

okay... really need to let people change their vote when they see they boo-boo'd

I didn't know you could choose more than one!! I chose I'd pay more... up to 20 dollars.

I do think it is important, as they fill the landfill.

I also think it would prevent some from using a seat past it's expiration... after all, one of the reasons people do it is to not waste what they think is a perfectly good seat.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Do you know how they recycle the seats? Do they take them apart and recycle certain parts of them? If so, which parts can they recycle?

According to a paper I have from a seminar taught by Tammy Franks from Legacy (the hospital in Portland that does the recycling program) at our state conference(September 2008):
"Legacy has been able to recycle 95% of materials in the car safety steats including the metal, foam, paper, and plastic components.
Legacy is currently researching recycling options for the fabric components, i.e. harness straps and seat coverrs. Material diversity and cleanliness are obstacles to recycling these materials.
Legacy recycles the plastic and foam through waste management brokers. Brokers collect the components and recycle them in larger quantities . . .
Note: When looking for a recycler, find a waste management company or garbage hauler who can handle mixed plastics. Be cautious of waste-to-ebergy (WTE) plants as they burn the plastics and may release toxic, bio-accumulative dioxins into the air."

Our Safekids team got very motivated to start our own recycling effort after hearing Tammy speak passionately on this subject. The Spokane WA team will go green on Earth Day 2009. At this time, there are no recyclers in our area that can take the plastic, so we will be shipping all of our seats to Portland. FEDEX is a Safekids partner and will be trucking the seats down there for free :D:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Renee, that is great! Didn't Tammy find someone to recycle the fabric yet? I thought that was done.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Our conference was in September, so its completely possible that she has found an outlet for the fabric by now. That would be great!!!

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Fun Fun! I got to take her special needs class in September - it is a boatload of information in a very short time, but well worth it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC