Installing for someone tomorrow and want to give good advice

purplemama

A woman at DH's work daughter is having her first baby in a few weeks and we decided to give her our evenflo embrace. She hid the pregnancy and didn't go to the doctor until she was about 5-6 months and I think they have very little money. I said I would give them the seat if they let me teach them to install and would listen to me about car seat safety. I lurk here almost every day and have learned so much but I know I'm not a tech and I will tell them I'm not and direct them to a safekids seat check.

I have a list going of helpful safety tips. I want to keep it simple and basic and stick to stuff they need to know right now.

1. Harness needs to be tight and below shoulders (rearfacing)

2. Car Seat (base for infant seat) needs to be tight in car

3. Handle needs to be down and seat and handle 1 1/2 inch from front seat

4. No stuff that doesn't come with seat (except cover that fits over)

5. Never put padding between baby and seat or between baby and harness

6. No snow suit or jacket (makes harness too loose) cover baby with blankets and/or cover that fits over

Is there anything I should mention that I'm forgetting? I have no idea what car they have. I see so much misuse I just want to help someone do it right. Of course I will tell them to visit car-seat.org:).

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sounds good. I'd also just mention that the seat expires on X date and they can't use it after that, but when they're done with it if it's still good either they give it back to you, or they can pass it on to friends/family, or hold onto it for another baby.

You're doing a good thing. :)

Wendy

fyrfightermomma

I would tell them "No matter what car you use, make sure the seatbelt is locked. Newer cars either lock at the latchplate or by pulling the belt out all the way. Older cars may need a locking clip."

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Tell them to have it seen by a tech :)

And check for recalls, those Evenflo seats are notorious.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Read the manual, read the manual, read the manual...

I think it always helps cement this recommendation if YOU read the manual while you're helping her. ("See here, it talks about how the straps need to be below the shoulders for RF babies." "This is where it shows you how to install the base with a seat belt, in case you ever need it." Etc.)

Even if you know already, it shows her HOW you know all this crazy stuff ("I read it in the manual!") and it helps her become familiar with the idea of taking any questions to the manual first.

purplemama

Update:

Well, I did the install and it went well but it was just grandma not mom-to-be. It was mom-to-be's car though. Grandma was very grateful for the seat and for the advice. It was cold and I was nervous but it was an easy install. A ford focus with latch. Not much room for the front passenger but I said I would get with them another time to do a seatbelt install in the center (grandma had to get back to work and it was cold!). They didn't have the manual for the car so I said not to borrow for latch in center because there is no way of knowing if it's allowed. I think I might want to become a tech just for stuff like this (oh yeah, I directed them to a safe kids check). I don't think I could handle a seat check though, I'd get too upset at all the misuse.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC